Rumor: Dhaliwal- The return for Guentzel starts with Lekkerimaki or Willander. Pens/Canucks

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Could see the Pens trading Guentzel for picks and a prospect or two and then re-signing him as a UFA. Maybe do the same with Crosby next season. Then trade Karlsson back to Ottawa in a deal for Chabot. Pens get younger, gain a bunch of assets and get their veteran players back as UFAs, everyone is happy.

Aug 3, 2010
Could see the Pens trading Guentzel for picks and a prospect or two and then re-signing him as a UFA. Maybe do the same with Crosby next season. Then trade Karlsson back to Ottawa in a deal for Chabot. Pens get younger, gain a bunch of assets and get their veteran players back as UFAs, everyone is happy.
My team in NHL24 is also enjoying an unprecedented 11th straight year of winning the Cup! Glad to hear yours is doing well too.

Evergreen

Just offer him the 8 years and be done with it. That's where it will end up when all is said and done - still pretty sure this gets done before the trade deadline.
You’re probably right, but a 8-year contract would take him to 38 years old. I understand why the Pena would hesitate to offer him that.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
You’re probably right, but a 8-year contract would take him to 38 years old. I understand why the Pena would hesitate to offer him that.
And you just deal with it in his last 2-3 years if he’s not performing. Dubas likely won’t be there in that timeframe anyways.

If you don’t sign him to that, another team will in free agency.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Guentzel doesn't want to be in Pittsburgh! He'll only get a 5th round pick and a cap dump now! AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
That's it? Canucks should take this and run, neither of those guys are anything close to surefire NHLers
You have to factor in the expiring contract. Unless it's a sign and trade, he'd be just a rental. Seems a bit risky to me. And I thought your offense is pretty set and maybe upgrading D would be a bigger priority. But I don't follow Van closely anymore.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You have to factor in the expiring contract. Unless it's a sign and trade, he'd be just a rental. Seems a bit risky to me. And I thought your offense is pretty set and maybe upgrading D would be a bigger priority. But I don't follow Van closely anymore.
Sean f***ing Monahan - on an expiring contract - just got a 1st plus.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
How does he move Karlsson?
By retaining on him. Karlsson at 5m for three years will have plenty of suitors if he is still offensively productive, but clearly just being poorly used and coached in the team.

Frankly, if Pens ownership are so in love with Sullivan/ Rierdon that they are fine with seeing the team hit the league basement, then the Pens should be letting Guentzel walk, trade EK before they completely destroy his value, and move anyone else that brings back any kind of value. Then just become a cap dump home for the leagues misfit contracts while you let the core retire on their terms.

If they sign Jake to some massive extension, and make no other changes, then we really do live in the stupidest of all possible timelines

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I get that, lol. Fair value.

But my point was two-fold, that is, wouldn't that currency be better applied to a RHD? Secondly, I'd say Willander or Lekkeremaki are much, much more valuable than the Jets late 1st. Don't you?
I'd say the value gap between Guentzel and Monahan is considerably larger than the one between either of those prospects and a late 1st.

Maybe Vancouver prefers a defenseman, but there are few wingers I'd rather have going into the playoffs than Guentzel.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I'd say the value gap between Guentzel and Monahan is considerably larger than the one between either of those prospects and a late 1st.

Maybe Vancouver prefers a defenseman, but there are few wingers I'd rather have going into the playoffs than Guentzel.
Fair enough. Grew up in Van. Watched literally 100's of games at the old Pacific Coliseum. Just haven't had time to follow closely lately. Hope Van takes it this year. Just hope the D is strong enough. We all know it's easier to find unsung hero's to provide secondary scoring in the playoffs (always seems to happen), but poor defensemen or those on the cusp, get exposed badly and often.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
if somehow Guentzel is traded whoever gets him in the West should be the favourite. Way better player than anybody else available.

Reactions: Wattsburgh

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Fair enough. Grew up in Van. Watched literally 100's of games at the old Pacific Coliseum. Just haven't had time to follow closely lately. Hope Van takes it this year. Just hope the D is strong enough. We all know it's easier to find unsung hero's to provide secondary scoring in the playoffs (always seems to happen), but poor defensemen or those on the cusp, get exposed badly and often.
That said, look at Guentzel's playoff numbers. If .59 goals per game isn't primary scoring, I don't know what is.

Reactions: Sideline

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
That said, look at Guentzel's playoff numbers. If .59 goals per game isn't primary scoring, I don't know what is.
Of course it is. I meant that Van already has elite primary scoring and that maybe it's best to elevate the D for a more balanced team. Because if you're bottled-up in your own zone, makes no difference how many scorers you have. At least IMO. Maybe they don't need a D upgrade, you'd know better than me. Guess it depends on priorities. :)

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas will sign Jake at his price. He also knows he can replace jake in aspects of LW play with another type of LW, Size, scoring tough and going to hard areas of the ice and a physical fore check.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad