GDT: Devils vs. Panthers - 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Loses like this will happen though. 2 points is hard to come by against other teams clawing for points too.

Just look at the out of town scores to see that. Pitt and Philly both lost, and the Jackets and Kings locked in a tight one.

Wish we had gotten a point at least though. Not confident we would have gotten it if we kept it 2-1 as the 6 on 5 was really sloppy and we weren’t generating enough good looks at evens.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm not recommending this, but because of the recent streak last week, we can go 6-10-3 the rest of the way and still have a >50% chance at the playoffs.

Win 7 outright and we are like 90%, or points in 11 of 19...

Seriously, 18-20 total points and we're in.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm not recommending this, but because of the recent streak last week, we can go 6-10-3 the rest of the way and still have a >50% chance at the playoffs.

Win 7 outright and we are like 90%, or points in 11 of 19...

Seriously, 18-20 total points and we're in.

We need to stop losing in regulation. We are basically in already if we get loser points in a lot of these recent loses.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean I don’t think he’s elite anymore. He’s above average, not in that elite company and hasn’t been for almost 2 years.

Honestly, I think most of us would probably agree with that. Which is where the "people need to stop saying he's elite" argument is confusing to me since nobody has really said that the last couple years. In fact I would say over the last two seasons he's been one of the most criticized players on this board.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly, I think most of us would probably agree with that. Which is where the "people need to stop saying he's elite" argument is confusing to me since nobody has really said that the last couple years. In fact I would say over the last two seasons he's been one of the most criticized players on this board.

Between him, Zacha, and Severson.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Even at Blockaid's worst I like him more than Corey. It is unfortunate to have to be the first goalie to follow Brodeur. HF main and other naysayers can argue, but Broduer is GOAT. His abilities changed the game. Watching the Devils transition to Schneider was brutal. Still to this day the Devils' Defense seems to struggle with Schneider in net because of his shortcomings and he struggles with soft goals. This guy can't buy a shutout. "Worst" goalies have more shutouts yearly. Plus, in my opinion there is a difference between keeping a team in a game and stealing a game. Corey might come up with a big save or two after he let in two goals to make it 3-3, rarer are the games were it's definitely the teams fault and he gets the W.

Congrats to Hall. Happy to see Bratt score, Maroon with 2 pts. This team is painfully streaky. Just Win in Carolina...

Reactions: theoptimist

Camille the Eel

But I'm especially disappointed that we got it to the third period knotted up, and then nearly lost the 3d period two to zip.

Maybe they just wanted it more than we did at the end? Were more desperate? Like we were against the Islander's in the 3d on Elias' night?

As to Cory, we also have to give him some extra slack in playing his first game in six weeks. You'd have to allow for some rust. And really, we're not going to win a lot of games where we score just two goals (one until we pulled the goalie). Would have loved to get it to OT though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Even at Blockaid's worst I like him more than Corey. It is unfortunate to have to be the first goalie to follow Brodeur. HF main and other naysayers can argue, but Broduer is GOAT. His abilities changed the game. Watching the Devils transition to Schneider was brutal. Still to this day the Devils' Defense seems to struggle with Schneider in net because of his shortcomings and he struggles with soft goals. This guy can't buy a shutout. "Worst" goalies have more shutouts yearly. Plus, in my opinion there is a difference between keeping a team in a game and stealing a game. Corey might come up with a big save or two after he let in two goals to make it 3-3, rarer are the games were it's definitely the teams fault and he gets the W.

Congrats to Hall. Happy to see Bratt score, Maroon with 2 pts. This team is painfully streaky. Just Win in Carolina...

Not sure how anyone could watch Kinkaid this year and prefer him in net. Overall he hasn’t been good.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not sure how anyone could watch Kinkaid this year and prefer him in net. Overall he hasn’t been good.
I'm not trying to crap on Kinkaid and he's been pretty good the last couple weeks, but let's not let the last two weeks cloud your judgement, especially when he had A LOT of stinkers leading up to that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They finally put the replay of the goal up. I think Cory thought he would try to try to either stuff it in, or attempt a wrap around and he was getting ready to go down and got caught bending down in the process.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We lost and I'm not even mad. We played real well and if it wasn't for bad bounces (2 posts) and bad goals let in by Cory (both imo), we're bagging 2 pts.

Cory had a real hard time with pucks shot at his feet and from shit angles. He's a beast when the guy is shooting from the wing/slot/point because of his positioning. Like we all know, he's very average on breakaways.

I really love our lines and the way we were cycling the puck, creating opportunities while deflating the opposition slowly.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Really you could grade that either way, as a horrendous goal or as a fluke. It looks more horrendous goal to me but I'm already at about DEFCON 2 vis-a-vis Cory. I'm holding off on DEFCON 1 till at least mid-March though.

Although re: Bleed's point with Cory not having looked great over his last 90 or so games, we were saying the same thing about Henry and he eventually bounced back. I just hope Cory does the same this year or it's gonna be a long offseason.

I really don't get people saying the other goal was bad though, it was a quasi-breakaway. I mean two Panthers were in front of Cory before any Devils defenseman.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I still didn’t like how much of a slog our transition was tonight. A lot of that was all the clutching and grabbing Florida got away with, but the passing needs to be crisper.

We should have been winning coming out of the 2nd period, but they couldn’t find the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad