GDT: Devils vs. Bruins 5PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I always expect the doom and gloom around here during tough times, but it doesn't make it any less ridiculous/funny.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
lol @ calling Larsson run of the mill d-man. People on here are crazy losing just amplifies it so much so.

Literally no perspective when it comes to analyzing the team. A team that has a record above where anyone would have predicted at this point and are rebuilding--a lot of these guys won't be here for the future and then are growing pains but no one here can accept that there is growing pains.

Anyway, they played well for a good amount of the game against a team on a 5 game point steak.

Last edited:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
As a Bruins fan, as much as I loved the outcome and as much as I was purposefully attempting to will Cory to lose that game he in no way deserved to.

Cory almost never deserves to lose, to be honest. The rest of our team, however, deserves to lose quite a bit, especially during this stretch of terrible play we've been on. At the end of the day, hockey is a team sport. The team that played better tonight won. If the Devils couldn't take advantage of Cory's excellent play, they deserved to lose.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Some people acted like I was crazy when I was saying how lousy our bottom 6 was at scoring like a month ago.

3rd line more particularly, which we don't have. It's time to permanently scratch certain players, like Ruutu being the most suspect right now.

We were doing just fine without him, now he's back in and we're averaging 1 goal a game since he's been back. I think we might be averaging 1 goal a game for all 6 or 7 games he's played this season, and we haven't won a game with him.

Sit him permanently, it's not like it's screwing him out of an NHL contract next season. That's already long since happened with his play over the last 2 seasons before this one. Neither coaching staffs did him any favor last year by playing Zubrus much more than him, but I'm starting to doubt he really would have been any better.

Yeah, I'm fine with banishing Ruutu to the press box. He slows the team down. Tootoo and Ruutu should be press box buddies if you ask me.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Larsson is twenty ****ing three. How long did it take Andy Greene? Hedman didn't put it together until his 250th game.

They were ok in the game. Pretty good for a team that skated off the ice 19 hours previously and traveled 2-4 hours in between. They're tired. 14 games in 26 days. They probably had one practice during the entire stretch. That's like most of us working an entire month without a day off

This wasn't a playoff team anyway. It was a growth year for the youngins and a transition year to purge the oldies with a remote possibility of prying an Anze Kopitar away from LA or something like that.

And I'm sick of newbies coming in here and talking about selling all the pieces and getting Matthews. I wanna ****ing win. Take the tank talk to the Buffalo board

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We need to reinforce our 2nd and 3rd pairings as soon as possible. Greene and Larsson are going to be ground into dust by mid January at this rate.

Either give Severson/Merrill/Moore a heavier defensive assignment, or bring in someone else. We can't keep going like this.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Not sure if I'm part of the "doom and gloom" crowd (because I do try my best to be an optimist although a realistic one), but for me anyway I just use GDT's to express my more immediate thoughts and emotions about the game the team is playing, so when things aren't going well, that frustration comes across because I'm a fan, and I have an emotional connection to the team, not just in a future where things are brighter but also now when things are darker.

I see a team right now that could possibly be in a playoff spot if they had worked harder over the past few games. That's annoying. We're rebuilding and exceeding expectations, but I want this team to keep expectations of themselves high, so when they start playing more like last year's team than the team they were for most of the season, I get mad because I know they are capable of better and I want them to play like that. That's not rebuilding; that's regressing back to the mentally weak team they were last year. They can pull out of it, but they need to do it quickly if they want to have a chance at continuing to challenge for a wild card slot. If they want to go back to being a joke team, fine, they can go back to playing like last year and hope for a draft pick to save them. I'd rather watch the former team than the latter. I want them to get back to playing with effort and heart and being resilient. That team was exciting to watch. The team throughout this stretch (except for the second/third period of this game) were flat, lazy, and mentally weak. In other words, not at all engaging or endearing as a fan. There's a reason they got booed last night at the Rock. Their play deserved it, not for lack of skill, but for lack of effort. Fans support this team when it works hard to punch above its weight but when it lets itself get rag-dolled, fans get disgusted.

A bad stretch isn't the end of the world, but it could be the end of playoff aspirations for this season if they don't get their acts together soon, and it could bring back some of the bad habits from last year. This team needs to get back to looking like the team they were throughout much of the season, instead of looking like last year's team.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Well at least Gelinas looked pretty good, wasn't completely lost out there. Made a few nice plays and got some shots off on the PP. Too bad we don't spend much time in the o-zone though, we've had so much trouble gaining the zone and setting up.

I'd give him a "good job!" gold sticker, Rutuu gets a "you stink!" one lol.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well at least Gelinas looked pretty good, wasn't completely lost out there. Made a few nice plays and got some shots off on the PP. Too bad we don't spend much time in the o-zone though, we've had so much trouble gaining the zone and setting up.

I'd give him a "good job!" gold sticker, Rutuu gets a "you stink!" one lol.

How long of Ruutu's uselessness will it take for him to get scratched? Only took a 5 game pointless streak to scratch Elias. Tlusty was a healthy scratch early on before the injury at one point.

And while Elias deserved to be scratched because he's been terrible, I can't justify scratching him and leaving Ruutu in there.

Maybe they wanna be fair to Ruutu and give him some time due to the layoff. But the layoff is not why Ruutu sucks, he's been not very good since since 2 years ago and has progressively gotten worse.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
How long of Ruutu's uselessness will it take for him to get scratched? Only took a 5 game pointless streak to scratch Elias. Tlusty was a healthy scratch early on before the injury at one point.

And while Elias deserved to be scratched because he's been terrible, I can't justify scratching him and leaving Ruutu in there.

Maybe they wanna be fair to Ruutu and give him some time due to the layoff. But the layoff is not why Ruutu sucks, he's been not very good since since 2 years ago and has progressively gotten worse.

He's not a liability out there but I thought he'd at least be able to chip in with the scoring here and there. We have enough of that in Tlusty, Kalinin and JJ, they won't hurt you but won't score either. I'm just looking for something, anything from these guys in the bottom six. We did have Tlusty Tuesday so there's that. That's just a quarterly deal though lol.

I thought Rutuu would be a bit nastier out there. I don't remember him looking this slow either but that may be from seeing him with last years sloth ridden team.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
It's games like these that make me wonder if Cory should be traded to get some legit, much needed offensive help if they want to think about the postseason, this year or next. Or I'm thinking psycho babble and wait for Zacha to save the day? Cuz it's the same old story with the lack of scoring, injuries or not. Last thing they need is to come in 9th 10th or even 11th.

Oh well. Wasn't expecting this team to do anything this season.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
It's games like these that make me wonder if Cory should be traded to get some legit, much needed offensive help if they want to think about the postseason, this year or next. Or I'm thinking psycho babble and wait for Zacha to save the day? Cuz it's the same old story with the lack of scoring, injuries or not. Last thing they need is to come in 9th 10th or even 11th.

Oh well. Wasn't expecting this team to do anything this season.

I get what you're saying and I'm not sure if you were part of the "kinkaid is better than cory" crowd but if you take Cory off this team, number 1, we'd be an abomination and Kinkaid isn't and won't ever be a top 5 goaltender in the NHL like Cory is/has been. Cory has bailed this team out on so many occasions and been the reason the team even gets 1 point. Secondly, I don't think we'd get the pieces you'd want for him to even come close to being worth it. If we were to trade him I'd want at minimum of a #1 center and top draft pick/prospect because he's THAT valuable. No team will do that tho and I certainly won't give him up for a prospect that "could" be good unless we're talking about McDavid.

I agree tho, I don't want to end up picking 12th or 13th in the draft and missing out on top prospects because we desperately need some top high end forwards that can put the puck in the net. We're on our way, but need another 1-2 years to stock up on them. So many of Cory's great games we lose 2-1 because we have stiffs who can't score or a 3rd/4th line that's useless. If Henrique, Cammy, Stempniak don't score, we're usually done for.

I think Shero has a plan and this was an evaluation year. We need to stay the course, maybe even sell of the veterans that are UFA at the deadline. If we can get another top 6-8 pick(maybe even win the lottery) and if he can bring in a young top 6 forward via trade, we're in good shape.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If we get rid of Cory, we could probably fill a void at forward (but we wouldn't get a forward who was as good as Cory is at his position, in my opinion), and then we'd have a gaping hole at goal. Kinkaid has shown this year that he is quite shaky and certainly not ready for a number one goaltender's duties especially where a goaltender is relied on as heavily as they are on this team (and even an acquisition of another forward is not likely to change that dynamic) while any team that traded for Cory would not be able to offer us a quality goaltender (proof: they traded for Cory, so they lack faith in their goaltending).

Anyway, we'll probably see a revamp of our forward roster over the next couple of years. Shero already changed quite a lot in one off-season. If we could get our third line contributing more, this team would be in a lot better shape in games like this against Boston. As it is, if our first two lines aren't scoring, the rest of the team isn't producing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I get what you're saying and I'm not sure if you were part of the "kinkaid is better than cory" crowd but if you take Cory off this team, number 1, we'd be an abomination and Kinkaid isn't and won't ever be a top 5 goaltender in the NHL like Cory is/has been. Cory has bailed this team out on so many occasions and been the reason the team even gets 1 point. Secondly, I don't think we'd get the pieces you'd want for him to even come close to being worth it. If we were to trade him I'd want at minimum of a #1 center and top draft pick/prospect because he's THAT valuable. No team will do that tho and I certainly won't give him up for a prospect that "could" be good unless we're talking about McDavid.

I agree tho, I don't want to end up picking 12th or 13th in the draft and missing out on top prospects because we desperately need some top high end forwards that can put the puck in the net. We're on our way, but need another 1-2 years to stock up on them. So many of Cory's great games we lose 2-1 because we have stiffs who can't score or a 3rd/4th line that's useless. If Henrique, Cammy, Stempniak don't score, we're usually done for.

I think Shero has a plan and this was an evaluation year. We need to stay the course, maybe even sell of the veterans that are UFA at the deadline. If we can get another top 6-8 pick(maybe even win the lottery) and if he can bring in a young top 6 forward via trade, we're in good shape.
Kinkaid probably won't ever be a top 30 goaltender in the NHL. He can't even be trusted to start hardly any games this year because he can't even stop barely 9 out of 10 shots faced. Even though he'll get the "it's the defenses fault" excuse that I hear so much over on the Sharks forum as an excuse for Stalock.

If we don't have Cory, we're getting a dime a dozen goaltender at best. Cam Ward is a UFA. :laugh:

Brian Elliott is too. Ward is a has been and Elliott is a never was. Elliott was a two bit nothing before he came to St Louis, and he's even had mediocre seasons there.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Well this is rich, Talbot suspended 2 games for "interference"

So a predatory, blatantly late hit to the head = interference

And not even a 2m minor on the ice, the officiating is a travesty

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey

According to the thread on the main board, this is clearly the fault of Scott Stevens

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

It's too subjective and biased from ref to ref and game to game.

We used to have a bunch of quality NHL officials in the 80s/90/early 2000's.
In the last 10 seasons almost all of the refs that have broken into the league are flat out inadequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad