GDT: Devils vs. Blues - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not worried about Zacha for next season as long as he stays healthy, and perhaps, gets a bit stronger, eventhough he's pretty strong already it looks like.

His play to end the season does not match his statsline from beginning, and that is a good sign.

He needs to realize he is strong. He could bully his way into scoring areas more if he wanted.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
He needs to realize he is strong. He could bully his way into scoring areas more if he wanted.

He has the size and skill to be a dominant player. Hopefully he’s gaining confidence and he’ll play more and more like he realizes it.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

That's another good point. Maybe get a bit more edge to his game, as he seems as nice as Patty... looking from the outside as a fan. Patty comparison not because he's Czech.....

I mean, he can play a gritty game, but h'e doesn't go bull in china shop too often. There were a few early in season (i think right after that AHL return) he made some moves on a half-break into the goal like no ones business but him on the puck.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He needs some swagger. He is stronger then he seems to think he is. More talented too.

His game is more cerebral than power with body right now, but the size is helping cause he's better on boards than before and he can muscle some guys around now. What i like now is the confidence he has when he HAS the puck or has a make a decision with the puck. He is more poised and wants the puck to make a play and is more often making the correct decision now, vs. earlier in season, last year.

Last year it looked like he was tentatively deciding what to do, but this year he wants to be the guy with that decision to make.

I think two seasons ago, I was ranting about him because he'd shy away from board play when the puck was there.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
That's another good point. Maybe get a bit more edge to his game, as he seems as nice as Patty... looking from the outside as a fan. Patty comparison not because he's Czech.....
Forget Patty. Hire Holik make him Zacha's personal coach. I want him to be a clone.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Forget Patty. Hire Holik make him Zacha's personal coach. I want him to be a clone.

Even the voice? Love Bobby, somehow wish there were some more clones of him, that is very true...

I forget sometimes how awesome Holik was cause he kinda left our team during his prime... that last stint was more like a "nice to see you again" gig.

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Even the voice? Love Bobby, somehow wish there were some more clones of him, that is very true...

I forget sometimes how awesome Holik was cause he kinda left our team during his prime... that last stint was more like a "nice to see you again" gig.
Ya, the voice was kind of shockingly high. McKay's too. It's almost like 2/3 of the crash line never hit puberty with their voices.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ya, the voice was kind of shockingly high. McKay's too. It's almost like 2/3 of the crash line never hit puberty with their voices.
Didn't McKay have a really deep but quiet voice? Always sounded like he took a few too many pucks to the throat.

Holik sounded like Kermit the frog with a Czech accent.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

You'd never guess from Holiks style of play! Holik's mismash of sound-bites were always awesome. Wish we had more honestly sometimes in the interviews like that.

From his days as a Rag:

"I believe fundamentally we are the worst team in the National Hockey League."
Not exactly words of encouragement after a 9-1 loss during the 2004 season.

Too bad I can't find any other videos, its like there's very few videos of any postgames from years bygone... Only 1 or 2 i can find..

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anyone remember Holik's comments after he lost his arbitration hearing? Things got really ugly.

I remember being conflicted. I respected him for being honest, but also thought he might have went a bit over the line.

At least he didn't try and sugarcoat things and pretend he didn't care about money, like too many phony players. Have to give him that. The guy basically said he was gonna become a free agent the next year and that Lou had his chance and he was insulted by both Lou's offer and the arbitration ruling.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Anyone remember Holik's comments after he lost his arbitration hearing? Things got really ugly.

I remember being conflicted. I respected him for being honest, but also thought he might have went a bit over the line.

At least he didn't try and sugarcoat things and pretend he didn't care about money, like too many phony players. Have to give him that. The guy basically said he was gonna become a free agent the next year and that Lou had his chance and he was insulted by both Lou's offer and the arbitration ruling.

He also said

I didn't sign three years ago (with the Rangers) because I enjoy statistics. I enjoy winning, ... You sacrifice statistics for the team. Those things brought me success. The biggest factors were the way the coach coaches the team and the way his teams play and that was good enough for me.
- BOBBY HOLIK

Anyway, sorry if this going off the rails for GDT...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He also said

Anyway, sorry if this going off the rails for GDT...
I think a lot of people expected the Rangers to be better than they turned out to be those years. They were stacked on paper, but too many players were either old or older than their actual ages due to injury and premature decline caused by them.

Lindros wasn't Lindros anymore by that time. He was still in his 20's, but his career was over. Bure's career ended just a couple months into that season, due to injury, so did Mike Richter's. His career ended just a month into that season.

Messier was ancient. Leetch was probably the only really good defenseman they had at that point. Malakhov was meh by that point, which was why I hated that signing from the beginning by us 3 years later.

I'm assuming that part about the coaches was not about the head coach of the Rangers at the time. It took me a second to remember who the head coach was at that time, but it was Bryan Trottier, who had no experience as a head coach in the NHL before that and would have no experience beyond that year after about January or February of that very season. He was a rookie head coach that year.

Between being an Islanders hero and that Rangers head coaching stint, it almost seemed like he might have been a double agent after that brief tenure.:laugh:

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think a lot of people expected the Rangers to be better than they turned out to be those years. They were stacked on paper, but too many players were either old or older than their actual ages due to injury and premature decline caused by them.

Lindros wasn't Lindros anymore by that time. He was still in his 20's, but his career was over. Bure's career ended just a couple months into that season, due to injury, so did Mike Richter's. His career ended just a month into that season.

Messier was ancient. Leetch was probably the only really good defenseman they had at that point. Malakhov was meh by that point, which was why I hated that signing from the beginning by us 3 years later.

I'm assuming that part about the coaches was not about the head coach of the Rangers at the time. It took me a second to remember who the head coach was at that time, but it was Bryan Trottier, who had no experience as a head coach in the NHL before that and would have no experience beyond that year after about January or February of that very season. He was a rookie head coach that year.

Between being an Islanders hero and that Rangers head coaching stint, it almost seemed like he might have been a double agent after that brief tenure.:laugh:

Man you've got a good memory. I pieced it all back together after reading your post. I was in college then and watching Trottier muck it up coaching, you are probably right on last point! Haha.
With MSG in my dorm room I was able watch all 3 local teams and I had way too much spare time. Back then to me it seemed that was supreme deal My roommate was an isles fan all pissed off at Yashin. Great times.

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Man you've got a good memory. I pieced it all back together after reading your post. I was in college then and watching Trottier muck it up coaching, you are probably right on last point! Haha.
With MSG in my dorm room I was able watch all 3 local teams and I had way too much spare time. Back then to me it seemed that was supreme deal My roommate was an isles fan all pissed off at Yashin. Great times.
Didn't they JUST finish buying out Yashin like a year ago? Or am I totally remembering things wrong (which is very likely)?

Reactions: Whaddagoal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And btw about 'Fan Appreciation Day'...were they even trying yesterday? I didn't hear any prize giveaways like in prior years, and the only door giveaway we got were those dopey sugarless Pepsi cans on the way out. Might as well not even have a Fan Appreciation Day and just call it discount at an overcrowded team store day. They'll probably wind up having it Monday which is stupid cause they had 17000 Devil fans yesterday and probably 9000 for Monday, at best.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
And btw about 'Fan Appreciation Day'...were they even trying yesterday? I didn't hear any prize giveaways like in prior years, and the only door giveaway we got were those dopey sugarless Pepsi cans on the way out. Might as well not even have a Fan Appreciation Day and just call it discount at an overcrowded team store day. They'll probably wind up having it Monday which is stupid cause they had 17000 Devil fans yesterday and probably 9000 for Monday, at best.

All i get for fan appreciation is regular calls from my rep (who i bought 6 game pack from) to upgrade to STH,. lol

I have to admit the socks they handed out at one of the games earlier a month or so ago, are higher quality than i expected.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
All i get for fan appreciation is regular calls from my rep (who i bought 6 game pack from) to upgrade to STH,. lol

I have to admit the socks they handed out at one of the games earlier a month or so ago, are higher quality than i expected.

Yeah that's a joke too...the socks which weren't even a giveaway till seemingly like a week or two before the game (and thus I wasn't at the game) were a better giveaway than the soda cans last night.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don't think they will do anything Monday other then have the team clap for the fans whether they lose or not.... I don't ever remember them doing the fan appreciation night before the last game before and I think they did it because of past complaints of there being too many Rangers fans at one of the previous final home games.

There are some things that annoy me that the front office does. Like last week they had mascot madness before the coyotes game and you could skate with the mascots on the practice rink and get some photos and autographs. It was free last year and there were maybe 50-60 people there tops.

This year they were charging $30 a ticket to attend. So now you're asking a family of 2-4 if not more who already have season tickets to spend even more just for this event. It's been a joke lately with how they are doing things.

I wouldn't be surprised if there renewal rates weren't good considering how bad the team is and how prices went up for considerably depending on where you seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad