Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - playoff edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Different posters have different opinions but the Devils were an LTIR team this year. They are paying players the market rate IIMO given their contract status, etc. Sure Jack is a value contract now but that contract was fair when they signed it IMO.
No doubt...and I don't have any problem if people are picking and choosing but still willing to spend the money.. But we can't grass is always greener our good (and very good) players who aren't great or assume that they are readily replaceable. And I don't want to appropriate money from better players to a higher quantity of lesser players on smaller deals...and better players (true top 6 guys) aren't always super easy to just acquire or replace.

We were an LTIR team this year...that's good...but we need to be a cap team (at least within reasonable variance) now for at least the next 4 years. That's a pretty sizeable window. If they aren't, this team isn't serious about winning. That doesn't mean that they can't make some hard decisions and let contributing people go...but we need to be wary about letting everyone go (which I don't expect...I suspect that Timo gets a long term deal done and if Bratt doesn't, it may be more on Bratt than Fitzy...or at least a shared responsibility...sometimes you just can't do anything about it).

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
No doubt...and I don't have any problem if people are picking and choosing but still willing to spend the money.. But we can't grass is always greener our good (and very good) players who aren't great or assume that they are readily replaceable. And I don't want to appropriate money from better players to a higher quantity of lesser players on smaller deals...and better players (true top 6 guys) aren't always super easy to just acquire or replace.

We were an LTIR team this year...that's good...but we need to be a cap team (at least within reasonable variance) now for at least the next 4 years. That's a pretty sizeable window. If they aren't, this team isn't serious about winning. That doesn't mean that they can't make some hard decisions and let contributing people go...but we need to be wary about letting everyone go (which I don't expect...I suspect that Timo gets a long term deal done and if Bratt doesn't, it may be more on Bratt than Fitzy...or at least a shared responsibility...sometimes you just can't do anything about it).
Agree. I think what is happening is that posters are using individual players but really this is a larger discussion. It really is a discussion of do you prefer a team with one less "star" that can make Marino type of trades when they become available or do you want that extra "star" player and keep churning the bottom of your roster. It seems like Fitz wants to go the extra "star" route.

Reactions: Forge

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i'll take timo over bratt if i had to choose. he's got the drive and size to change up our strategy if we need to - we need to get bigger in order to switch up to a forechecking system if need be. our makeup cannot just be skilled guys

note that i'm not saying i don't love bratt (i do), but if we had to choose, i know who i'm goin for

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i'll take timo over bratt if i had to choose. he's got the drive and size to change up our strategy if we need to - we need to get bigger in order to switch up to a forechecking system if need be. our makeup cannot just be skilled guys

note that i'm not saying i don't love bratt (i do), but if we had to choose, i know who i'm goin for
I completely agree with you that changes need to be made to be able to play different ways...but I don't think getting rid of Bratt is the solution... he's been one of best producers for a while now...

If price was the issue and one had to be chosen over the other, I think my solution would be to keep Bratt over Meier...add your extra element, your interior players by replacing Boqvist, Sharangovich, Tatar. That's and easy $7 million in players.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We didn't give up what we did just to let Timo walk.
I don’t think that’ll be the outcome either…but for all the talk about Bratt’s agent, Timo’s agent we’ve seen first hand can be a ***** in contract negotiations too.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
The Devils have a little over $34M in cap space next season, If we assume Bratt and Meier together cost about $17M that still leaves $17M leftover with all of your big money players locked up with only complimentary pieces needed to be signed. Players like McLeod, Bastian, Bahl, Boqvist will all be very cheap considering their role and impact. Players like Luke, Nemec, Holtz, Clarke, Foote and Thompson provide cheap production on ELCs to replace some of the outgoing roster. Even after signing Meier and Bratt the Devils will have more wiggle room cap wise than the majority of NHL teams.

Pardon?

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I was waiting to see if anyone was going to reply to that. I thought Mikey is a player that performed his role very well so far in the playoffs.
He has, but that role is typically very cheap. Yakov Trenin was part of one of the better 3rd lines in hockey the prior season with Sissons and Jeannot and was a strong PKer and he signed for 2 years at $1.7M before the start of the season.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I completely agree with you that changes need to be made to be able to play different ways...but I don't think getting rid of Bratt is the solution... he's been one of best producers for a while now...

If price was the issue and one had to be chosen over the other, I think my solution would be to keep Bratt over Meier...add your extra element, your interior players by replacing Boqvist, Sharangovich, Tatar. That's and easy $7 million in players.
interesting take -- i guess part of me would just hate having some kind of buyer's remorse (giving up stuff for timo and letting him walk)

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
He has, but that role is typically very cheap. Yakov Trenin was part of one of the better 3rd lines in hockey the prior season with Sissons and Jeannot and was a strong PKer and he signed for 2 years at $1.7M before the start of the season.
Obviously Mikey is never going to be a high paid player bur I do think Mikey will be more valued than a wing like Trenin. NHL GMs value C's more than Ws.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I'm on the Move Bratt train, We already got players like him ON CONTRACT. Try to get a sniper or a Skilled "Bull in a china shop" player. Perhaps a Goalie would be okay too.

Who's making the trade thread?:thumbu:

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
They're going to let these guys walk: Graves, Severson, Tatar and Wood.
I could see them potentially resigning Haula, if the price is right.
Re-sign: Meier, Bratt, Mcleod, Bahl, Boqvist, Bastian,
Trade chips: Sharangovich, Blackwood

Gives us:
Meier - Hughes - Mercer
Bratt- Hischier - Holtz
Palat - Haula - Boqvist
Lazar - Mcleod - Bastian

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
Bahl/Smith - Nemec

Extras - Foote, Clarke, Walsh

Vanecek
Schmid

I would love for them to flip Bratt, Sharangovich, Blackwood + for a stud forward+

Last edited:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
They're going to let these guys walk: Graves, Severson, Tatar and Wood.
I could see them potentially resigning Haula, if the price is right.
Re-sign: Meier, Bratt, Mcleod, Bahl, Boqvist, Bastian,
Trade chips: Sharangovich, Blackwood

Gives us:
Meier - Hughes - Holtz
X - Hischier - Bratt
Palat - Haula - Boqvist
Lazar - Mcleod - Bastian

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
Bahl/Smith - Nemec

Extras - Foote, Clarke, Walsh

Vanecek
Schmid

I would love for them to flip Bratt, Sharangovich, Blackwood + for a stud forward+
I don't know if Holtz will be a player. After seeing the playoffs, I could see him struggling unless he takes serious strides in his development.

Also, you are missing Mercer, but to me replaces Holtz in the line up.

Hate to say it but I would want us to add size and grit but it would need to be players that can actually play. Lazar to me is not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad