Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
She also linked to the 2016-17 roster so clearly she and everyone else reads six years ago one way, as others have posted you’re doing the math wrong because you’re going forward and there’s no one year ago in it

I did not have math 101 on my bingo card of team thread tangents

Would you guys stick to a talk about past Devils seasons thread or are we just gonna have the same convos here and have to move everything there anyway?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm not sure what the criteria is for "Game Breaking Winger" is, but Mercer is on a 26 goals pace in his sophomore season...I don't think it's a stretch to think this player could pop 40 at least one time in his career.

Kovy, Jack, 17-18 Hall, 08-09 Parise. It's an unfair definition but I think Mercer ends up being Parise besides that tremendous 08-09 outlier season he had.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
While I agree that he shipped out 2nd round picks way too loosely, I think that your assessment of his tenure is unfair, especially given that Shero was left with a franchise that was basically in shambles after Lou's tenure (Fitzgerald had much more assets to work with, when he started his tenure as GM in 2020).

1) Hall trade wasn't just an accomplishment, it was a masterpiece.
2) You entirely forget Palmieri trade.
3) Henrique trade was a win-win situation because Vatanen had contract for 1 more year, while with Henrique you'd be forced to trade him away or to sign him to the long, risky contract and IMO he wasn't a type of the player you give this type of a deal to.
4) Drafting, with few blunders here and there, has generally been good. If you remember 2017 draft well, we could have easily ended up with the worst pick in the franchise history, had we made a mistake at #1.
5) If he signed stupid UFA deals or tried to 'accelerate' the rebuild by trading a top pick/prospect for a 'win now' piece, we wouldn't be enjoying a team that is basically contender now. And he couldn't really compete for top tier UFAs since the team he was left with was just awful.
I think i'm overstating my case possibly because I am annoyed at his defenders popping up every so often, also Henrique being a possible coveted deadline piece put thoughts on his tenure back in my brain, but basically the blue print for rebuilding is not what Shero did, it's acquiring as many draft picks as possible + taking cap dump vets and then trying to flip them for more draft picks once you put them in prime positions to produce (PP time, playing with a useful young player, etc). You also try and sign one year deals to vets with skill and pump up their value to trade (e.g. Max Domi and Chicago).

It's fine, it's water under the bridge, but I ultimately am glad he lost a power struggle / was fired and think the team is in a much better place.

Reactions: hidek91

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
While I agree that he shipped out 2nd round picks way too loosely, I think that your assessment of his tenure is unfair, especially given that Shero was left with a franchise that was basically in shambles after Lou's tenure (Fitzgerald had much more assets to work with, when he started his tenure as GM in 2020).

1) Hall trade wasn't just an accomplishment, it was a masterpiece.
2) You entirely forget Palmieri trade.
3) Henrique trade was a win-win situation because Vatanen had contract for 1 more year, while with Henrique you'd be forced to trade him away or to sign him to the long, risky contract and IMO he wasn't a type of the player you give this type of a deal to.
4) Drafting, with few blunders here and there, has generally been good. If you remember 2017 draft well, we could have easily ended up with the worst pick in the franchise history, had we made a mistake at #1.
5) If he signed stupid UFA deals or tried to 'accelerate' the rebuild by trading a top pick/prospect for a 'win now' piece, we wouldn't be enjoying a team that is basically contender now. And he couldn't really compete for top tier UFAs since the team he was left with was just awful.
This really bothers me.

Lou left the team in shambles then the first 3 accomplishments you attribute to Shero are on the back of Larsson, Henrique and the draft picks Lou left from Jagr.

Not too mention Coleman, Severson who was a second year player under Shero and Wood coming out of college.

The best Dman during Shero's entire tenure were Greene and Severson and it wasn't even close. No goaltending was ever addressed.

Shero was a bad GM...whether you judge him by roster building or by wins/losses or really in any objective way you want he was a failure.

I suppose you can thank him for winning the lottery twice....but really his drafting from 2016 through 2019 sucked aside from Bratt and a couple of lottery wins.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This thread is only two pages....there should be no misunderstanding of the broad point....

But here you go in a nutshell:

Julie wrote a piece about how far we've come from 6 years ago and gave Shero credit... I thought 6 years ago was odd distinction because 6 year(seasons) ago was the last time we made playoffs

The misunderstanding is you’re incapable of admitting when you’re wrong even when people provide you with correct information.

If you just acknowledged that the point they were making was correct right away, then there isn’t any endless debate.

It’s more respectful of other people, and their opinions, and more intellectually honest to do that, instead of endlessly trying to (badly) debate your way out of a wet paper bag in order to avoid doing that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The misunderstanding is you’re incapable of admitting when you’re wrong even when people provide you with correct information.

If you just acknowledged that the point they were making was correct right away, then there isn’t any endless debate.

It’s more respectful of other people, and their opinions, and more intellectually honest to do that, instead of endlessly trying to (badly) debate your way out of a wet paper bag in order to avoid doing that.
Thanks for the advice.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
So, is there any preference to play Detroit, Pittsburgh or Buffalo in the first round?

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Thank you to our lord and savior Fitz. He has single handedly brought us to the playoffs with perfect roster management. We are not only a darkhorse but a serious cup contender with Meier. As much as I wanted Johnny Gaudreau in the summer I'm so happy it never happened because 0 chance we could of made this move. Let's thank the hockey gods.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So much for telling Zetterlund and Boqvist to find a place, maybe Fitz meant a place in San Jose

So, is there any preference to play Detroit, Pittsburgh or Buffalo in the first round?
We're almost locked in at this point with the Rangers unless we pass Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad