Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Trade deadline talk and speculation here:

This thread is just for current team talk (coaching, lineups, injuries, callups, line and roster management) now that we're into the hot and heavy of deadline week

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Mercer has earned his spot in the top 6, even if we bring in a high profile winger, how you break him off nico’s wing? They’ve been fantastic!

Keep Mercer - Nico - Tatar together for rest of season.

All 3 guys have played elevated games since together. Mercer has been hot, Nico looks revived, streak Nico, and tatar making it happen.

Perhaps Tatar is the straw that stirs that drink? @NjDevsRR

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Keep Mercer - Nico - Tatar together for rest of season.

All 3 guys have played elevated games since together. Mercer has been hot, Nico looks revived, streak Nico, and tatar making it happen.

Perhaps Tatar is the straw that stirs that drink? @NjDevsRR

Tatar and Hischier have been excellent together all season, regardless of who the third forward is: Bratt, Zetterlund, and now Mercer have all worked well with them at various points. But that line is definitely clicking of late with Mercer there, and I would ride that for as long as it lasts.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Tatar and Hischier have been excellent together all season, regardless of who the third forward is: Bratt, Zetterlund, and now Mercer have all worked well with them at various points. But that line is definitely clicking of late with Mercer there, and I would ride that for as long as it lasts.

Maybe we have two straws in that drink.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Before Mercer's run we were thinking, hey we need a goal scoring winger. Welp maybe he was here all along.

Maybe it lessons the need to make an acquisition.

I love Mercer to death but I don't think he'll ever be a true game breaking wing.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Fresh thread, fresh Mercer games played talk.
Screenshot 2023-02-26 115748.png

Reactions: Bleedred

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
True, probably doesn't have the high end skating for that. But do we need him to be that? Do we really need a game breaking winger?

I'd like one more top 6-9 forward with the assumption that Bratt also gets signed. Whether that be Meier or someone like Gritsyuk comes over next year or soon. We'd be pretty stacked up front in that case

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd like one more top 6-9 forward with the assumption that Bratt also gets signed. Whether that be Meier or someone like Gritsyuk comes over next year or soon. We'd be pretty stacked up front in that case
Palat really hasn't played to the level we had hoped just yet. He, kind of like the Mercer in the past couple weeks, could be an in house guy who fills a need.

Also like Mercer he would not be a game breaker, but just another good player so that we go at teams with waves.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Julie with a pretty great twitter thread today about how Shero and Fitzgerald turned the team around.

This is kind of dumb...6 years ago was the 2018 team... objectively the best team we've iced in a decade prior to this year....and every piece on the 2018 or 19 team that "didn't belong in the NHL" was a Shero addition.

Such hits as: Micro Mueller, Eddie Lack, Nick Lappin, Dalton Prout, Stefan Nosen, Will Butcher, Ben Lovejoy, John Moore, Ken Appleby....all Shero clunkers

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
This is kind of dumb...6 years ago was the 2018 team... objectively the best team we've iced in a decade prior to this year....and every piece on the 2018 or 19 team that "didn't belong in the NHL" was a Shero addition.

Such hits as: Micro Mueller, Eddie Lack, Nick Lappin, Dalton Prout, Stefan Nosen, Will Butcher, Ben Lovejoy, John Moore, Ken Appleby....all Shero clunkers
that team sucked ass except for Hall and that’s the point of the thread

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah but I can't exactly agree with her describing Subban and Gusev as 'steals'...maybe in 2019 they were looked at that way but clearly neither one worked out for what they cost.
Vatanen trade another Shero L. Basically his main accomplishments were not signing any idiotic FA contracts, the Hall Trade, and then trading Hall for pieces that Fitz turned into core members of the team (Mercer/Sieganthaler). The tail end of the draft has wins but it's unclear how much credit we give to him for that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
that team sucked ass except for Hall and that’s the point of the thread
I don't disagree...I just think it's sort of a bullshit narrative...

First, going back in years to our only play off appearance since 2012 seems awfully weird....that in my opinion is calculated. Go further back and the realization that this rebuild was a long freaking time comes to light. 6 years is a heck of lot more reasonable than the 8 it actually took to ice a good team....this being the 9th year

but second, talking about "all the players that didn't belong in the NHL" is doubly weird since they were pretty much all "rebuild" pieces added by Shero.

Really if you want to give credit to where credit is due go back 4 years and look at the shambles Shero left and how quickly and precisely Fitzgerald fixed everything.

The state of the organization in December 2019 was dark.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Vatanen trade another Shero L. Basically his main accomplishments were not signing any idiotic FA contracts, the Hall Trade, and then trading Hall for pieces that Fitz turned into core members of the team (Mercer/Sieganthaler). The tail end of the draft has wins but it's unclear how much credit we give to him for that.
I wouldn't call that an L. As much as I liked Henrique, Vatanen did help us make the playoffs that year. How could anyone know Kucherov (or Hedman, whoever it was) would destroy him in the postseason and his career would go down the pech-a-doo after?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I wouldn't call that an L. As much as I liked Henrique, Vatanen did help us make the playoffs that year. How could anyone know Kucherov (or Hedman, whoever it was) would destroy him in the postseason and his career would go down the pesh-a-doo after?
Henrique was basically going to be traded this deadline for valuable futures before he got hurt. I didn't hate the trade at the time but if we're going to grade it after the fact it was a loss. Shero's various attempts to add defense were all failures really and Fitz has been illuminating in comparison on that front.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Henrique was basically going to be traded this deadline for valuable futures before he got hurt. I didn't hate the trade at the time but if we're going to grade it after the fact it was a loss. Shero's various attempts to add defense were all failures really and Fitz has been illuminating in comparison on that front.
Vatanen's 31 years old NOW...if he didn't get seriously concussed in the playoffs he'd still be in someone's top four probably. But he did and that's why his career was never the same after 2018.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Now do goaltending and when you're done take a look at the supplementary players he added..

His horrific defense choices overshadows all else but the garbage he added on the wings as supplementary players is just as bad... especially when you had a young #1 overall in Nico with no real plan to aid him. The Gusev, Hayes, Stafford's, Noesen, Simmond's of the world were just horrific.

Vatanen's 31 years old NOW...if he didn't get seriously concussed in the playoffs he'd still be in someone's top four probably. But he did and that's why his career was never the same after 2018.
He was injured like every year before he got here and while he was here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad