Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I've been reading a bunch about how Graves sucked at the end of last year. But his numbers look fine.

He was fine in the regular season, he was next level putrid in the playoffs which kinda makes sense considering the Avs dumped him for the year after they lost to Vegas in the playoffs and Avs fans said he was one of the worst players that playoffs + how bad he was v NYR/CAR for us

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He was fine in the regular season, he was next level putrid in the playoffs which kinda makes sense considering the Avs dumped him for the year after they lost to Vegas in the playoffs and Avs fans said he was one of the worst players that playoffs + how bad he was v NYR/CAR for us

He was clearly playing very injured in the playoffs.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
His 5v5 numbers don't look terrible. GF's were non existent which I wouldn't lay on him, and GA weren't good either but most other numbers held up.

The PK completely fell apart though, and that is a spot which he was supposed to be a pillar. Should note he was playing a shit ton of PK in the playoffs.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Wasn't just Avs fans. I watched him, and he was freaking awful.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Merry Christmas friends!!
IMG_2639.gif

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I've been reading a bunch about how Graves sucked at the end of last year. But his numbers look fine.

I can’t show sarcasm well. Timo hasn’t played well (better lately) and he got PAID! Schmid should be the starter because he played well in 10 games. Bahl was also benched during the Rangers Series. But he is playing prominent minuets this year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can’t show sarcasm well. Timo hasn’t played well (better lately) and he got PAID! Schmid should be the starter because he played well in 10 games. Bahl was also benched during the Rangers Series. But he is playing prominent minuets this year.
Ya, I took the opportunity to comment on Graves, but you're post was definitely more wide ranging.

As per Timo, and specifically Timo vs Graves, I think it's an easy call to say Timo is better then Graves. Graves did play a specific role, but Timo does as well. And where as we had a replacement for Graves in the form of Hughes(in terms of lineup spot, not role) we really didn't have that for Timo.

Graves like Sev's got squeezed because we had high end prospects moving up to fill those spots. Most thought it was going to sting at least a little in the first year or more, but signing those guys just didn't make sense in the big picture.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate! I’m very grateful to be able to experience and talk Devils hockey with all the members here!

As your Christmas gift, here’s a Mikey McLeod Andy & Rono card! :)

Why no transition score?

And I know I love to nitpick these stat cards, but a better shooting score then passing?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Why no transition score?

And I know I love to nitpick these stat cards, but a better shooting score then passing?
McLeod is shooting 13.2% this year.

Now we’ve watched the game and know almost none of his goals come from actually shooting but the card just sees a nice shooting percentage and probably his decent shot per 60 and thinks “this guy is shooting well”

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Really random but I hope the Devils bring back their CAA horn for the outdoor game and it being directly near MetLife. 95' horn + Howl should be the regular thing anyway lol
They do it for throwback jersey night. And they even did it for game 3 of the 2012 playoffs against the Panthers, but I guess they did away with it after we blew a 3 goal lead and lost 4-3. It wasn't heard again that playoffs.

The horn at Prudential Center is a legit horn. I'm not sure if the Meadowlands horn was an actual horn or not. It definitely wasn't as expensive or as powerful as the one at Prudential Center, that's for sure. I'm not saying it wasn't good (I actually do like the Meadowlands one more), but I don't think that horn was state of the art as the one at Prudential Center. Several years ago someone posted something here that talked about all the different horns in the league and what type they were and how they were run. The article was only for the current buildings though, and not the old ones like the Meadowlands.

They did say that the horn at Little Caesars Arena is just a sound clip of the one at Joe Louis. And that the horn at Joe Louis goes against the fire code, so they couldn't bring it with them to Little Caesars, but that they were still able to use it at Joe Louis because it was grandfathered from before that became the law. I think because it was run by gas or something. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Most people probably forget, but when Prudential Center first opened, they didn't have the real horn. It wasn't finished yet. They just played a really WEAK sound clip of what the eventual horn was going to sound like.

I don't think they put the new horn in until like February of 2008. I remember the first game with it and thinking how much louder it was, rather than the weak sound clip, which is about as loud as it gets when they used the old Meadowlands horn at Prudential Center.

I suggested at one point to continue using the Meadowlands horn and someone suggested that it may actually be owned by the NJSEA or property of it, along with the rest of the old building, and so we couldn't use it. I think that was before we had ever used it for a retro night at Prudential Center.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
On the topic of horns, here's where my memory has really eroded.

The first year of the classic Meadowlands horn was 93-94, if I'm not mistaken. Someone can correct me if I got that wrong.

What I can't remember is if we used some other kind of horn prior to 1993 or if we didn't have a horn at all. There was a long time where we, as well as sevel other teams didn't have a goal horn at all.

Goal horns in some buildings are about as new as advertisements along the boards. There's many buildings that had completely bare boards back in the day and in many buildings this even lasted until about the turn of the decade into 1990. Goal horns were not an every team thing for a long time.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The CAA horn was an audio file played. Not an actually horn.

I doubt the Stadium Series is going to be dripped with Meadowlands nostalgia as it is a league event and not a team event.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

I doubt the Stadium Series is going to be dripped with Meadowlands nostalgia as it is a league event and not a team event.
The home team generally gets to control game presentation for the outdoor games, so the Devils should be able to make their own choices. If they want the Meadowlands horn, it’s their choice.

Regardless, the Meadowlands horn was 100 times better than the generic horn we have now at Prudential. I think the Devils polled fans about bringing it back when new ownership took over and the fans voted for the current one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That’s definitely what I thought. The only difference is it seemed louder when played in the old building than when they’ve played it in the new building.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
That’s definitely what I thought. The only difference is it seemed louder when played in the old building than when they’ve played it in the new building.
My understanding was the CAA horn was an actual horn but the NJSEA owned it and wouldn’t give/sell it to the Devils when they moved. So ever since the move to Newark, the Devils have had to use an audio file instead of the actual horn.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad