Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

We made it!

1696955154120.gif

OlfactoryHughes

Aug 8, 2007
Northern California
Just saw the powerplay lines and they're perfect imo. Pretty weird that Travis Green is probably gonna be a better assistant than Brunette was but Brunette laps Travis Green as a HC.
To be fair brunette didn’t have as much to cook with, additions of luke and toffoli, with full time Meier def added a lot to work with. Hopefully Holtz’s shot is a weapon too.

Def think the dougie unit is gonna be bombs away, just getting pucks at the net, while Luke’s unit is gonna be playing tic tac toe. Gonna be great having two distinct power plays strategies to deploy.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
PP2 (Hischier) is going to have issues gaining clean entry IMO. It is more suited for dump and chase then you wonder if anyone is a good enough passer to get set.

To me they should use this PP as the first unit, it's got the best faceoff man on it, but after the first clear, that's it for them until there's another offensive zone faceoff. I doubt that's how they'll do it, though.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Curious to see everyone's expectations before the season starts. Personally I'd be happy with a Conf Finals appearance, would be an improvement over last year and typically you and upcoming teams need to taste a bit of adversity before breaking through.

I think they're objectively better, improved this offszn while none of their competitors did anything to improve that much or got worse. Carolina to me is the biggest challenge, on paper the Devils are better but the matchup itself is not ideal. They play team defense, excel 5v5 and are one of the few teams left with a true shutdown line.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Just saw the powerplay lines and they're perfect imo. Pretty weird that Travis Green is probably gonna be a better assistant than Brunette was but Brunette laps Travis Green as a HC.
Brunette has been a head coach for what like 60 games for the Panthers when he was the interim coach ? Nashville is retooling , so Brunette is going to have to work some wonders to get them back into the playoffs. The Panthers made the Cup Final last year but got owned by Tampa the year prior with an even better roster. They were the President's Trophy winner and scored the most goals in the league too. The Lightning swept them and held the Panthers to only 3 goals in 4 games. That's probably a big reason Brunette wasn't brought back...Everyone was scratching their heads thinking Florida was stupid for brining in Maurice and trading for Tkachuk (myself included). I'm interested to see how Nashville does this year.

Look at some of the rosters Travis Green had to work with in Vancouver. Alot of their star players played fine under him but the overall roster was pretty weak. Their group of defensemen were amongst the bottom tier in the NHL. I think the only thing they had was some good goaltending with Markstrom and Demko. They aren't elite goalies though and without a high powered offense (which they didn't have) you can't really expect them to be that good. They had a nice run under Boudreau but we have seen that with alot of teams bringing in a new coach. He barely lasted there. I would blame their GM more so than the coaching staff. Regardless , Green will have a lighter load here and hopefully he can help make this team better. I just think that saying Brunette is better without having much experience as a head coach is a little premature.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Brunette has been a head coach for what like 60 games for the Panthers when he was the interim coach ? Nashville is retooling , so Brunette is going to have to work some wonders to get them back into the playoffs. The Panthers made the Cup Final last year but got owned by Tampa the year prior with an even better roster. They were the President's Trophy winner and scored the most goals in the league too. The Lightning swept them and held the Panthers to only 3 goals in 4 games. That's probably a big reason Brunette wasn't brought back...Everyone was scratching their heads thinking Florida was stupid for brining in Maurice and trading for Tkachuk (myself included). I'm interested to see how Nashville does this year.

Look at some of the rosters Travis Green had to work with in Vancouver. Alot of their star players played fine under him but the overall roster was pretty weak. Their group of defensemen were amongst the bottom tier in the NHL. I think the only thing they had was some good goaltending with Markstrom and Demko. They aren't elite goalies though and without a high powered offense (which they didn't have) you can't really expect them to be that good. They had a nice run under Boudreau but we have seen that with alot of teams bringing in a new coach. He barely lasted there. I would blame their GM more so than the coaching staff. Regardless , Green will have a lighter load here and hopefully he can help make this team better. I just think that saying Brunette is better without having much experience as a head coach is a little premature.
Agreed. People act like Brunette is some established success. Based on what...a small sample size of 3/4 of a season where he took over for a HOF coach but then flamed out in the playoffs? He literally has nothing else on his head coaching resume, but people pump him up like he's proven something.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Curious to see everyone's expectations before the season starts. Personally I'd be happy with a Conf Finals appearance, would be an improvement over last year and typically you and upcoming teams need to taste a bit of adversity before breaking through.

I think they're objectively better, improved this offszn while none of their competitors did anything to improve that much or got worse. Carolina to me is the biggest challenge, on paper the Devils are better but the matchup itself is not ideal. They play team defense, excel 5v5 and are one of the few teams left with a true shutdown line.

They may be more talented but they lost experience with Graves and Severson. I’m sure Luke and Bahl will have their ups and downs as the season unfolds.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
They may be more talented but they lost experience with Graves and Severson. I’m sure Luke and Bahl will have their ups and downs as the season unfolds.

Fair point. I felt both Severson and Graves really struggled with zone exits especially in the playoffs. Going to be a rollercoaster with Luke, probably all season long but the promise is there. I think Bahl will be a solid improvement or a least a wash with Graves.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Fair point. I felt both Severson and Graves really struggled with zone exits especially in the playoffs. Going to be a rollercoaster with Luke, probably all season long but the promise is there. I think Bahl will be a solid improvement or a least a wash with Graves.
Severson struggled with zone exits?

He led the defense in CF% in both the regular season and playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad