Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Devils fans are/were never really fair to Severson!

I dont think Luke has played better than Damon in their respective seasons. That just seems like being nice to the young guy for the sake of being a supportive fan

Luke has had most of the teams worst defensive zone turnovers this season; even if outside of that hes been impressive. Damon was very polished last year and was a big proponent in us having the season we had
Severson was criminally underrated by a good portion of this board and the fanbase in general. Saying Luke is better, right now, is foolish.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Just because we are discussing defense, doesn’t give the goalies a free pass. The back end, needs to be better as a whole.

Furthermore, we all agree Luke and Nemec are dope. It’s also silly comparing them to Sevs and Graves. Management forcing Bahl into hard minuets this season is/was a problem. Luke and Bahl haven’t had full NHL seasons under their belts.

Add in:
Marino 22-23 >>Marino 23-24
Siegs 22-23 >>>Siegs 23-24
Dougie 22-23 (obviously)

With how much this team scores its absurd how little points the defense produces. The answer is simple, they can’t clear the zone, and they struggle making clean passes up ice. With out Sevs and Graves the Devils PK and transition game has suffered.

People need to get paid and the Devils couldn’t afford them, but did they need Timo/Taffoli or a 6M Palat? Graves sucked at the end of the year, well so did Timo.

BTY Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I would say Luke is both better than Severson and playing a more important role. Severson was a sheltered 3rd pairing dman when everyone was healthy last year. Marino played the toughest minutes on the team (with Graves) and Severson dominated soft matchups. Graves held up better than Bahl with those tough minutes. I’d also say Nemec is very clearly better than Graves at hockey.
I don't necessarily agree. Luke has been playing 3rd pair and PP1 but Severson was playing PP2, PK2 and on the 3rd pair as well and he had a strong season

Graves played the toughest minutes on the team with Marino and played well. Hard to expect Nemec to replicate that this season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kovalchuk would be the oldest player in the NHL right now. He's almost an entire 6 months older than the actual oldest active player Mark Giordano. And about 15 months older than the second oldest active player Joe Pavelski.

I can't believe he's playing again. I mean.... He's only 40, but he hasn't played for close to 3 years now.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Happy holidays you filthy animals.
Statler and Waldorf!!

ezgif-4-98d796cd06.gif

Reactions: Guttersniped

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Severson was criminally underrated by a good portion of this board and the fanbase in general. Saying Luke is better, right now, is foolish.
I was billed as Severson’s number 1 fan here by some, and considered an apologist. Luke has been better than Damon Severson this season. Also he’s been better than Severson has been on the Jackets.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I'm a known Severson basher- and rightfully so - I'm not a fan of inconsistent defensemen that are prone to tragic mistakes. He had Jake Gardiner level talent offensively and was much better defensively for 90% of most games (and in fact all of his last year playing on the third pairing). Playing on the top two pairings, however, he was a chaos driving nightmare.

Just like in past years- this team can give up few high danger chances, few shots, and then just get caved or have absolutely ridiculous breakdowns. Severson was classic at that for most of his tenure here.

He, and our defense this year, is just simply not 'goalie friendly.' Especially to borderline 'average' guys like we have on this team who's confidence crumbles almost immediately upon impact.

It was even less friendly with Ty Smith and PK Subban in the lineup, and it was much friendlier with Graves with Marino and Severson on the bottom pair with good matchups playing solid D.

I mean if you blow a tire, or give the puck away at our own blueline like Hughes or put the puck directly on Draisaitl's stick or wipe out your own goaltender - does it really matter how many high danger chances or total shot attempts you give up? It's just kinda like three automatic goals right there.

Severson (not last year, but in all year's previous) was that guy. Could look absolutely fantastic and then roll out a gamechanging boner.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just because we are discussing defense, doesn’t give the goalies a free pass. The back end, needs to be better as a whole.

Furthermore, we all agree Luke and Nemec are dope. It’s also silly comparing them to Sevs and Graves. Management forcing Bahl into hard minuets this season is/was a problem. Luke and Bahl haven’t had full NHL seasons under their belts.

Add in:
Marino 22-23 >>Marino 23-24
Siegs 22-23 >>>Siegs 23-24
Dougie 22-23 (obviously)

With how much this team scores its absurd how little points the defense produces. The answer is simple, they can’t clear the zone, and they struggle making clean passes up ice. With out Sevs and Graves the Devils PK and transition game has suffered.

People need to get paid and the Devils couldn’t afford them, but did they need Timo/Taffoli or a 6M Palat? Graves sucked at the end of the year, well so did Timo.

BTY Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.
I've been reading a bunch about how Graves sucked at the end of last year. But his numbers look fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad