Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Agreed, that’s why I think SJ isn’t going to qualify him for $10+ million and they’ll let him become a UFA.

He doesn’t have an incentive to give anyone a discount for avoiding going UFA, unless whatever team signs him pays UFA money.

That would be terrible asset management, they have 17m cap space next year and as a bottom rebuilding team have plenty of space to sign him. That way they can retain 50% and trade him, and get at least something for him.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
That would be terrible asset management, they have 17m cap space next year and as a bottom rebuilding team have plenty of space to sign him. That way they can retain 50% and trade him, and get at least something for him.
You think SJ wants to carry a $5+ million cap hit in dead weight for 8 years?

They could but what assets would you ask for in return for over $40 million dollars in lifetime cap?

You’re better off selling him as if he’s a UFA rental at this deadline.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Huh?

He's an RFA, qualifying offer is for one year. Then he becomes UFA in 2024.
Sorry. I was thinking you were saying sign him long term and deal him.

In your scenario, It’s probably 6 or 1 half dozen, either way you’re trading him to a team that ends up with only a few months to 1 year of non-UFA money Meier.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Sorry. I was thinking you were saying sign him long term and deal him.

In your scenario, It’s probably 6 or 1 half dozen, either way you’re trading him to a team that ends up with only a few months to 1 year of non-UFA money Meier.

The other alternative is sign and trade, but I think he and his agent are perfectly fine with riding out the contract and then cashing in again in UFA. It's a weird situation with only 1 rfa year left (similar to Bratt), but with huge QO and SJ and Timo not looking like a good fit.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He’s rfa
His value is of a UFA, imo, due to his qualifying offer being so high. His qualifying offer looks well above his true value.

It won’t surprise me if he’s a UFA this offseason or next offseason.

Any team that does trade for him would need to sign him to a deal as if he’s a UFA anyway, so oddly his value may be higher to a team that only wants him for 1 year rather than a team who wants him long term.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think San Jose deals Meier at the deadline if he doesn't want to stay, there's no reason to do anything else, they're entering a long rebuild. That said, I don't want to trade for him - if he wants to be here because of the Swiss thing, fine, let him reach UFA, but otherwise, giving up assets for a player like this isn't optimal. I don't think the Devils need a bulk shooter of the sort Meier is.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think San Jose deals Meier at the deadline if he doesn't want to stay, there's no reason to do anything else, they're entering a long rebuild. That said, I don't want to trade for him - if he wants to be here because of the Swiss thing, fine, let him reach UFA, but otherwise, giving up assets for a player like this isn't optimal. I don't think the Devils need a bulk shooter of the sort Meier is.

Chance are he's coming with an extension because you'd be foolish to pull the trigger but it's going to be higher than his QO number to even consider from him and his agent unless he takes less money for more security. A lot of stuff in the air with Meier and his next deal imo, I would hold on as well but if the Devils are boat racing teams then it makes it harder not to pull the trigger on a trade like that.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
From the new Athletic article about how the Canucks should learn from how we built our defense (aka trade for good defensemen).

View attachment 601766

View attachment 601769
View attachment 601768

quality article

siegenthaler a former first round pick (#57 overall 2015) was acquired for a second round-pick (#75 overall 2021).

can anybody send me their article about league expansion?

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
what realistically is the cost to get Meier? I mean, would it be reasonable to say holtz could eventually become a Meier and if so why are we considering trading him. Strikes me as a real contender move and we're just trying to crack a wildcard and lord knows if we even get there.

Reactions: TBF1972

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
what realistically is the cost to get Meier? I mean, would it be reasonable to say holtz could eventually become a Meier and if so why are we considering trading him. Strikes me as a real contender move and we're just trying to crack a wildcard and lord knows if we even get there.
No it is not reasonable ton say Holtz becomes Meier. They are completely different players and Meier is coming off a PPG season. It would need to be a plus with Holtz to make that trade happen.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
No it is not reasonable ton say Holtz becomes Meier. They are completely different players and Meier is coming off a PPG season. It would need to be a plus with Holtz to make that trade happen.
i get that stylistically they are different but did someone surefire know Meier was going to be some bonafide ppg player when he was twenty putting up 36points/82

And I'm not saying I know the answer im just playing devils advoc here

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Right now the cost is probably Jack Hughes or Jesper Bratt.

The idiots in San Jose still think they’re good enough to compete this year.

• Haha
Reactions: FascinationStreet

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

probably the same as when any other good player gets traded

1st round pick, top prospect, roster player

Reactions: FascinationStreet

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Or the owner is forcing them to “compete” because of the payroll
He’s delusional and has been for years.

The payroll is high because they have guys like Vlasic, who’s been a bad player for at least 6 years now and way overpaid. He was already bad when he got that deal. They re-signed Hertl, who’s a good player, but he’ll be old and maybe even out of the league by the time they’re good again. That’s how much work they have to do. I could see them being bad for as long as we’ve been.

Couture is still a good player, but he’s 33 and he’s seen better days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad