Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think they'll start Vanecek, but being that Blackwood didn't get completely bombed in his last half a game (as bad and shaky as he otherwise looked) and the fact that Vanecek allowed 2 late garbage time goals (one a 6 on 5 where we were pinned in for over a minute) maybe they will start Blackwood.

This organization has pumped out a lot of bullshit in the last 9 months or so, where it really feels like they're doing whatever they can to make Blackwood happen.

It seems to be based on a lot of faith and hope, more than anything. This could prove to be quite dangerous if it goes the way of the Marty/Cory season, but I don't think they'd let it go on quite as long if Vanecek were outplaying Blackwood as much as Cory outplayed Marty that season.
I’m not saying you’re wrong but it’s not a slam dunk…they ARE paying Vanecek more for longer term, I don’t think it’s a fait accompli we’re going 65-35 for Blackwood

Reactions: Bleedred

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Mary Clarke with USA Today puts the Devils at 27th in terms of least to most watchable teams. Not that the team needs any more motivation to make this a winning season but here it is...

27. New Jersey Devils​

In recent years, the Devils have always overpromised and underdelivered and I don’t see that changing in the 2022-23 season. How they managed to make Nico Hischier, Jack Hughes, and Dougie Hamilton boring to watch is beyond me, but here we are.

Who?!?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m not saying you’re wrong but it’s not a slam dunk…they ARE paying Vanecek more for longer term, I don’t think it’s a fait accompli we’re going 65-35 for Blackwood
Good point and absolutely one I've made and pointed out numerous times since Vanecek was re-signed to a new, multi year deal, for a higher cap hit than Blackwood.

One of these two guys is signed for next year, one of them isn't. One of them we traded a 2nd round pick for about 3 months ago, one of them we drafted with a 2nd round pick SEVEN years ago. One of them has been an okay goalie the last two years, one of them has been one of the absolute worst in the league over that same time period.

One of them was pretty solid in the NHL 3 and 4 years ago now, while the other wasn't in the NHL yet, but that's all I got.

If we're gonna favor Blackwood because of what he was 3-4 years ago, then I have no idea why we signed this guy for over $3 million a year for the next 3 years.

They really should be favoring Vanecek, unless Blackwood outplays him and he really didn't in the preseason, nor has he in the last 2 NHL seasons. We traded a 2nd rounder for this guy (I know we just traded 2nd rounders and didn't really just give up a 2nd rounder for him), we re-signed him for 3 years.

I remember one year in the last decade where we traded a first round pick for a 27 year old goalie, but only gave him about a handful more games than we gave the 41 year old who had already been showing signs of decline for some time and we missed the playoffs by just a handful of points in no small part because of it.

Reactions: OlfactoryHughes

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We're a guilty until proven innocent team. I get why the media is like, "I'm not doing this again."

There's circumstance for a lot of it, but the overpromise-underdeliver thing is certainly valid.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How does IR work? Is there a minimum time he needs to be out?
It used to be a week I think, but you were allowed to make it retroactive to the day they last played a game.

And for Nico, that was already 14 days ago.

So if that still holds true, he can come off IR at anytime, but I'd imagine if he were to play Thursday night, then why would they even bother putting him on the IR?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We're a guilty until proven innocent team. I get why the media is like, "I'm not doing this again."

There's circumstance for a lot of it, but the overpromise-underdeliver thing is certainly valid.
Agreed.

I don't think that makes us the 27th most watchable team in the league and makes us boring, which I think is what that ranking was for, but I certainly understand why people are counting us out and think we won't be any good again. And I understand why people are tired about hearing how good we're gonna be and how ''They're gonna be a reallllyyyyyyy good team. You can just see it. How good are they gonna be soon?''.

We have some BIG questions that need to be answered in goal. Quite a few questions that need to be answered in goal, actually.

And we also have some potential coaching drama/probable lame duck on the hot seat in Lindy Ruff and a younger, fresh new hire waiting to be a head coach in the league again,

And then there's some other things like Nico's injury, but that's a fairly new thing that probably wasn't really taken into account until very recently. The first two issues have been lingering for quite some time.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
What’s the actual impact of Nico on IR? Could he still be back for opening night? When is he eligible to return if not?

Hey, asked and answered never mind. Just like Nemec, a lot of noise about nothing.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
It used to be a week I think, but you were allowed to make it retroactive to the day they last played a game.

And for Nico, that was already 14 days ago.

So if that still holds true, he can come off IR at anytime, but I'd imagine if he were to play Thursday night, then why would they even bother putting him on the IR?

Both Thompson and Hischier can be taken off at any time. They were put on IR because they were eligible to be placed there and there is a cap impact for doing so. They are trying to maximize they LTIR from Bernier. Same reason Nemec is on the roster and not Bahl.

I imagine will see a couple of changes before Thursdays game.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I love Nico but man he's injury prone. And spare me with the "they're freak accidents" bc it always seems to happen to him. Like I said I love the guy but he cannot stay healthy.
Both can be true, they aren't mutually exclusive. He can have had some freak injuries and be prone to regular ones as well. You can pass the freak ones and still be disappointed that he's missed however many games for smaller nagging things.

Reactions: Triumph

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J
What if Nemec absolutely KILLS it if his first whatever the number is? Are they forced to keep him up, or follow a plan? (If there is one)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What if Nemec absolutely KILLS it if his first whatever the number is? Are they forced to keep him up, or follow a plan? (If there is one)
If he is that great he is outplaying three legit NHL vets over 9 games they can cross that bridge when they come to it. What a great problem to have that would be. I'm skeptical he plays at first. Who is going to sit?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
They are never forced to keep him but may want to. Probabky won’t happen but if one of the RD goes down or something he could become a mainstay.

Thing I’m most curious about is who plays on their offside if he gets into the lineup sometime soon. Maybe Severson with Nemec?

If he is that great he is outplaying three legit NHL vets over 9 games they can cross that bridge when they come to it. What a great problem to have that would be. I'm skeptical he plays at first. Who is going to sit?
I think Smith is very likely starting Thursday but I’d imagine he’ll get in at some point soon for Smith unless someone gets hurt.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Both can be true, they aren't mutually exclusive. He can have had some freak injuries and be prone to regular ones as well. You can pass the freak ones and still be disappointed that he's missed however many games for smaller nagging things.
What I'm referring to was a point in time where each of his injuries were justified. When a player is always getting hurt, which I think it's fair to say Nico is at this point, he's injury prone.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So @Triumph youre okay losing an entire second pair of defenseman for nothing to make the playoffs? Im understanding that correctly?
I actually basically agree with your argument but it’s October 10th, how long do you want to debate this point right now?

We have no idea how the team will do and none of these potential trades are potentially happening anytime soon.

Let the team play awhile. People have made their basic stances on the issue known.

Camille the Eel

It's likely way more frustrating for him, but yeah. Not being able to make it out of even one preseason period unscathed is kind of wild
What is the frigging injury is the question that comes to mind. Hamstring strain was mentioned but gosh he’s been rested all camp now.

Query: can he go on IR backdated so that he comes up soon or does this mean he’s now out of action for a definite period of time or number of games?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Wouldn’t the best for future Nemec contract be to use his ELC year but not accrue a season?

I’d like to sign his bridge or long term contract asap but don’t want to move his UFA status forward.

So I think Nemec playing over 9 games but less than 40 would be perfect.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What is the frigging injury is the question that comes to mind. Hamstring strain was mentioned but gosh he’s been rested all camp now.

Query: can he go on IR backdated so that he comes up soon or does this mean he’s now out of action for a definite period of time or number of games?

It was backdated. He can still come off and play Thursday if he can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad