Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know if it is possible, actually I don't think it is likely, but I would really like a 40 (or more) win season.

EDIT: Hell I'd settle for just a positive differential...Even 0 would be a massive improvement.

We have had a positive differential once in the last 10 years and that was a 248 - 244 +4.

Gauge
35 or fewer wins will probably be in the bottom 10 of the league = Another Disaster

36 to 42 wins will probably be in the 17 to 22 range in the league = A step forward, but really not enough - Although 42 wins would be a significant step forward in my opinion...Anything over 40 would be great.

43 and up is a playoff spot I believe. 43 wins with a Goals For above 250 and Goals Against below 250 for a positive differential…

***No team in the East made the playoffs with fewer than 100 pts and 44 wins last season.
***The lowest Goal differential in the East to make the playoffs was +30
***The Rangers and Boston had the lowest Goals For at 254 and 255
***Toronto had the worst GA with 253 - followed by Washington at 245

The magic number seems to be 250 above and below

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't know if it is possible, actually I don't think it is likely, but I would really like a 40 (or more) win season.

EDIT: Hell I'd settle for just a positive differential...Even 0 would be a massive improvement.

We have had a positive differential once in the last 10 years and that was a 248 - 244 +4.

Gauge
35 or fewer wins will probably be in the bottom 10 of the league = Another Disaster

36 to 42 wins will probably be in the 17 to 22 range in the league = A step forward, but really not enough - Although 42 wins would be a significant step forward in my opinion...Anything over 40 would be great.

43 and up is a playoff spot I believe. 43 wins with a Goals For above 250 and Goals Against below 250 for a positive differential…

***No team in the East made the playoffs with fewer than 100 pts and 44 wins last season.
***The lowest Goal differential in the East to make the playoffs was +30
***The Rangers and Boston had the lowest Goals For at 254 and 255
***Toronto had the worst GA with 253 - followed by Washington at 245

The magic number seems to be 250 above and below
I'd bet we have a positive differential this year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd bet we have a positive differential this year.
Don't know? The Goals Against will no doubt come down from the cartoonish 307.

But I am not sure about the Goals For moving much from last years 248. I wouldn't be completely surprised to that number go down or stay relatively the same.

We were a -59 last season. That's a lot to make up.

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Don't know? The Goals Against will no doubt come down from the cartoonish 307.

But I am not sure about the Goals For moving much from last years 248. I wouldn't be completely surprised to that number go down or stay relatively the same.

We were a -59 last season. That's a lot to make up.

I miss the years when we flirted with 200 GA for the season. But that was with prime Marty playing 70 games a year. We'll never see that again.

Reactions: GameSeven

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
l7aG5zs.gif

Hopefully this one doesn't derail before Christmas.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Any word on Nico or what our official roster is ? I thought it had to be submitted yesterday? Or is that not released , just sent in to the NHL .
I guess it’s what we have seen minus Geertsen or ? Did Bahl Zetterlund etc make it ?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Unrelated, but I lucked out one time on eBay and typed "Broduer" by accident and found an auction for perfectly good 1995 era authentic jersey. "Brodeur" was spelled correctly on the jersey but the seller had the typo in the title. As I remember it, I was the only bidder and got it for a relatively great price.

I think I have seen a "Neidermayer" jersey on eBay before.
I think that was a Douglas C. jersey

Reactions: Devils Army

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Any word on Nico or what our official roster is ? I thought it had to be submitted yesterday? Or is that not released , just sent in to the NHL .
I guess it’s what we have seen minus Geertsen or ? Did Bahl Zetterlund etc make it ?
It has to be submitted by 5 today but doesn’t have to be announced.

No word on Nico yet. Bahl and Zetterlund definitely made it.

It is almost certainly this:

Hughes
Bratt
Palat
Mercer
Holtz
Haula
Sharangovich
Tatar
Zetterlund
Wood
Mcleod
Bastian
Boqvist
Hischier (if healthy)
*Johnsson (if Hischier is hurt)

Hamilton
Siegenthaler
Severson
Marino
Graves
Bahl
Smith

Blackwood
Vanacek

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It has to be submitted by 5 today but doesn’t have to be announced.

No word on Nico yet. Bahl and Zetterlund definitely made it.

It is almost certainly this:

Hughes
Bratt
Palat
Mercer
Holtz
Haula
Sharangovich
Tatar
Zetterlund
Wood
Mcleod
Bastian
Boqvist
Hischier (if healthy)
*Johnsson (if Hischier is hurt)

Hamilton
Siegenthaler
Severson
Marino
Graves
Bahl
Smith

Blackwood
Vanacek
Was Okhotiuk sent down already ? Or just based off of last preseason game roster , he is being sent to Utica ?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Was Okhotiuk sent down already ? Or just based off of last preseason game roster , he is being sent to Utica ?
He's waiver exempt, so he likely was sent down (at least in a paper move) and we didn't hear about it.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
I used to question the idea that Mercer should play at 3C (irrelevant to Haula and where he plays) but I'm starting to wonder if its important for him to play there now and groom him for a top 6 center in the event we lose Nico or Jack to injury, either this season or any future seasons.

Our pool obviously doesn't have any potential 1/2Cs
I always felt like Mercer should play top 6 wing to bolster those lines but maybe that's poor planning if Nico ends up not being able to stay healthy, or scienceforbid Jack too.

Little over analysis but obviously if any team loses it's top center they're in bad shape. Are we worse off than other teams or better off? (due to Mercer's ability to pivot back there and Haula) And does this further support the argument that we really need to hang on to Boqvist?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Bahl down and Nemec makes the team.
Johnsson on opening day roster.
Hischier, Thompson on IR, Bernier on LTIR.

I think Johnsson is just a placeholder for Hischier. He'll be sent down when Nico is ready. Hard to see Nemec getting games. He might have to play LD for Smith or Marino switches to LD when Nemec is in the lineup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad