Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
overreaction, a deal will get done. there's always posturing between both sides anyway.

I normally opt not to overreact. I just don't trust agents who make it about themselves/the past.
The power complex quote from Lupien concerns me.

A deal might get done at the 11th hour, but it's likely 1 year, and we're dealing with the same posturing next summer.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
overreaction, a deal will get done. there's always posturing between both sides anyway.

Not an overreaction at all...a rookie defenseman with less than a full season under his belt who hasn't proven he can be NHL defenseman holding out and/or making ANY sort of salary demands on his FIRST contract?????

He's as good as gone

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Let me try to get things straight here. If Gely and his agent continues to hold out he will end up missing camp, and unless he gets offer sheeted this all ends up going to arbitration right?

None of this benefits Gely or his career. His agent is messing him up pretty badly here.

Can he even receive an offer sheet? Meaning does he have enough nhl games or service time? I know Krug and Smith cant sign offer sheets due to service time. I would assume that would be the same case for Gelly since him and krug have played about the same amount? Idk the exact rules tho

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Not an overreaction at all...a rookie defenseman with less than a full season under his belt who hasn't proven he can be NHL defenseman holding out and/or making ANY sort of salary demands on his FIRST contract?????

He's as good as gone

What if Lou is offering him a 2 way deal or league minimum? This is a business and Gelinas should make his agent earn his 7% (or whatever his cut is).

My guess Lou is only offering 900k and Gelinas should be able to get ~1.2 million.

It would be stupid for both sides to not reach a deal before camp.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
What if Lou is offering him a 2 way deal or league minimum? This is a business and Gelinas should make his agent earn his 7% (or whatever his cut is).

My guess Lou is only offering 900k and Gelinas should be able to get ~1.2 million.

Agree that Lou probably offered the exact same contract that Larsson accepted months ago.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

He's as good as gone

This. Lou is all about putting in time and moving up the ranks and being rewarded. Gelly is making contract demands after playing 60 games in the nhl. Lou in my mind looks at this as a slap in the face. Lou doesn't play that

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

No way in hell is gelinas worth 1m yet

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

He's as good as gone

the guy is asking for less than 1.5 mill after he put up 29 points in 60 games and was crucial to the PP that basically hid some of the Devils even strength flaws.

I would assume Lou offered what Larsson got and Gelinas is asking somewhere around 1.3 mill if he's asking less than 1.5 mill so I doubt the sides are that far off where it is not possible to get a deal done.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
They are totally different situations but its interesting to look at a vet like Carter willingly waiting around and coming to camp (with offers elsewhere probably) with no contract and one year removed from rookie status Gelinas with less than a year under his belt holding out into camp week.

With that said I'd go 1 yr/1.5 mill max on Gelinas. Prove your the real deal and you get payed next offseason big time.

I'd guess Lou doesn't want to give away wiggle room cap wise come trade deadline or what not.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
No RFAs come to camp if they don't have a contract.

And at this point I'm starting to doubt that Carter has 'great' offers elsewhere, he's a fourth liner and is replaceable. If he was one of the better fourth liners in the league he would have a contract by now.

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
does anyone have production numbers for Gelinas compared to other players in the league. 5v5 power play

NHL Fanatik*

Gelinas traded. e5.

But seriously, if he has issues with the money this early on, maybe moving him is a good idea. Get something young up front, the kid would have buyers.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
1.5m is a reasonable amount if you compare to other young offensive defensemen. I feel he's getting lowballed here.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
If the nuclear scenario happens and Gelinas doesn't play then were looking at Zidlicky, Kaberle, and Salvador as 3 of our 6 D-Men. I'd probably need Lasik after watching there D-Zone play every night.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If the nuclear scenario happens and Gelinas doesn't play then were looking at Zidlicky, Kaberle, and Salvador as 3 of our 6 D-Men. I'd probably need Lasik after watching there D-Zone play every night.

Harrold would start over Kaberle, and there is not much reason to hate on Zids right now, he was good for us last year.

Also Severson, Hegs, and Scarlett would also be options to take that defense spot out of camp if Gely doesn't sign.

Gely's agent is an idiot. He has no leverage, and 1.5 for 60 NHL games is a bit much if that is what he is asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad