Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Yohann Auvitu

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
But he will be 27 this offseason, where as Mozik turned 23 in Dec. Auvitu also fits that Shero mold in terms of smooth skating d-man.

And the coup de gras, he's a lefty.

I think Auvitu will get a real look with Merrill out, and if he impresses then I could see him sticking around for a good while.

Does a move like this signify they won't be looking at a bigger name UFA? Maybe.

No waaayy. Shero will definitely be looking to upgrade the blue line. I think its pretty clear its a necessity going into the offseason. One injury to Larsson or Greene and the D is screwed.

Hoping the D depth is something like:
1. Greene
2. Larsson
3. UFA D (Goligoski, Demers, Yandle... maybe Campbell, Russell)
4. Severson
5. Schlemko (definitely resign him)
6. Moore
7. Merrill
8. Helgeson
9-12 Santini, Auvitu, Mozik, Hrabarenka

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No waaayy. Shero will definitely be looking to upgrade the blue line. I think its pretty clear its a necessity going into the offseason. One injury to Larsson or Greene and the D is screwed.

Hoping the D depth is something like:
1. Greene
2. Larsson
3. UFA D (Goligoski, Demers, Yandle... maybe Campbell, Russell)
4. Severson
5. Schlemko (definitely resign him)
6. Moore
7. Merrill
8. Helgeson
9-12 Santini, Auvitu, Mozik, Hrabarenka
But are they looking to give a 5 yr+ deal for these 30 yr old d-men? I'm not sure that is the plan. It might be, but they did sign Moore just last year and he still has 2 years left, do they sign Schlem? Are they looking to push Merrill to the press box? We do have #'s, both at the NHL and AHL levels, not proven top 4's, but there are still a bunch of guys.

I really don't see them going big in UFA as a definite. Again, maybe.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
But are they looking to give a 5 yr+ deal for these 30 yr old d-men? I'm not sure that is the plan. It might be, but they did sign Moore just last year and he still has 2 years left, do they sign Schlem? Are they looking to push Merrill to the press box? We do have #'s, both at the NHL and AHL levels, not proven top 4's, but there are still a bunch of guys.

I really don't see them going big in UFA as a definite. Again, maybe.

With the Devils current cap situation, there's a chance they'll be able to shed a year or two off a deal with a UFA D by offering a little more AAV.

I think resigning Schlemko is important and I also think Merrill should be in the press box until he proves he shouldn't be. Ideally, Merrill should start the season as the 7th D, IMO.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
But he will be 27 this offseason, where as Mozik turned 23 in Dec. Auvitu also fits that Shero mold in terms of smooth skating d-man.

And the coup de gras, he's a lefty.

I think Auvitu will get a real look with Merrill out, and if he impresses then I could see him sticking around for a good while.

Does a move like this signify they won't be looking at a bigger name UFA? Maybe.

oh God, I pray that that isn't the case

I don't think Shero is that dumb

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
With the Devils current cap situation, there's a chance they'll be able to shed a year or two off a deal with a UFA D by offering a little more AAV.

I think resigning Schlemko is important and I also think Merrill should be in the press box until he proves he shouldn't be. Ideally, Merrill should start the season as the 7th D, IMO.

It'll be interesting to see how they move fwd. Yes they have a ton of money to work with, they could def make a splash, but maybe when they came on they said, let's build this slow. During the season I was thinking for sure they needed to go out and make some big signings, but now I'd be OK with continuing to stockpile the system.

As far as Merrill, the injury puts him in a tough spot, he could very well come back and not have a chance to prove himself. If they do go out and sign a prove top 4 lhd, he could 5th on lhd depth chart. Such a move would signal that they are moving on. Which is partly why I don't see such a move as a definite.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
It'll be interesting to see how they move fwd. Yes they have a ton of money to work with, they could def make a splash, but maybe when they came on they said, let's build this slow. During the season I was thinking for sure they needed to go out and make some big signings, but now I'd be OK with continuing to stockpile the system.

As far as Merrill, the injury puts him in a tough spot, he could very well come back and not have a chance to prove himself. If they do go out and sign a prove top 4 lhd, he could 5th on lhd depth chart. Such a move would signal that they are moving on. Which is partly why I don't see such a move as a definite.

One of the LHD would likely move to the right side. Because as of now, our depth on the right side is
Larsson
Severson
Santini/Mozik

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Merrill needs to play to develop. There is no ideal in that. You don't give up on a 24 year old under 200 games defender.

Also there isn't a defender outside of Gogo who odds are will not leave Dallas that can fill in on the left of Greene gets hurt.

We don't want Yandle on a top pairing. Honestly don't want Yabdle period at what he will make.

You also can't just assume someone is going to switch sides either.

Shero will resign Schelmko and maybe make one more depth signing and for the most part run the same D as we did last year game 1 minus Gelly.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

precisely my thoughts on those two

I think we should sign schlemko, he outperformed the very meager expectations of him last season and turned out to be quite the bargain

I'm no fan of merrill really, and following this recent surgery I'm feeling even less confident having him on board than before

that said, I have optimistic thoughts about the auvitu signing and hope he makes a good showing at camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad