Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Yohann Auvitu

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Anyone got some info on this guy. Never heard of him before, and I am kind of wondering what his playing style is like

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Really wonder why NHL teams have been on such a shopping spree for prospects from non-traditional nations. The recently bought products include Andreas Martinsen, Pierre Edouard Bellemare, Ronald Kenins, Thomas Raffl, Borna Rendulic, at best Michael Raffl. What recent prospects from non-traditional countries signed to entry level contracts have actually gone on to become game changers? I'm not saying Auvitu won't go on to become a star but signing a kid fresh out of college isn't more expensive and it probably has a better chance to find accidental gold.

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
Anyone got some info on this guy. Never heard of him before, and I am kind of wondering what his playing style is like

In few words :
He is a really smart player, with an excellent work ethic.
Always serious and focused on the ice. He makes almost no mistake in his play.
Could have a better shot, but can bring speed too.
Also really consistent.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Really wonder why NHL teams have been on such a shopping spree for prospects from non-traditional nations. The recently bought products include Andreas Martinsen, Pierre Edouard Bellemare, Ronald Kenins, Thomas Raffl, Borna Rendulic, at best Michael Raffl. What recent prospects from non-traditional countries signed to entry level contracts have actually gone on to become game changers? I'm not saying Auvitu won't go on to become a star but signing a kid fresh out of college isn't more expensive and it probably has a better chance to find accidental gold.

Because you're signing a veteran player (albeit from Euro leagues), not a college kid who doesn't know what professionalism is about.
Auvitu played the last 7 seasons in Finland elite league and played vs NHL players at the world championship since... well, can't remember. But a long time. He doesn't have a lot to learn (smaller ice, basically).

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Because you're signing a veteran player (albeit from Euro leagues), not a college kid who doesn't know what professionalism is about.
Auvitu played the last 7 seasons in Finland elite league and played vs NHL players at the world championship since... well, can't remember. But a long time. He doesn't have a lot to learn (smaller ice, basically).
Yeah, but what if he never becomes more than like a floater between the AHL/NHL (unrealistic of course, but statistically the probability) but in a year when/if they renew the contract he's gonna cost more than the AHL/NHL kid who's younger with more potential and straight outta college/CHL. Idk, I guess it helps grow the game. Hopefully with Auvitu in the states more French people will start to pick up on hockey and the Devils.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Players in traditional hockey countries often play non-stop hockey from even before they were teenagers. Players in non-traditional hockey countries may not have that kind of upbringing, and even if they do, they have a very limited pool of talent to play with or against - they may be excellent athletes who take longer to develop their game because they don't face that kind of competition.

I love bets on players like this.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
No risk signing. He doesnt make the team, he's more depth for Albany. He makes the team and its gravy. He's going to have a strong chance at the roster right out of the gate. I don't think this will wholly diminish our interest in another NHL D-Man via UFA, but it could lower the $ that a guy like Schlemko would potentially get from us.

There was apparently a bit of interest in this dude and we got him, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Players in traditional hockey countries often play non-stop hockey from even before they were teenagers. Players in non-traditional hockey countries may not have that kind of upbringing, and even if they do, they have a very limited pool of talent to play with or against - they may be excellent athletes who take longer to develop their game because they don't face that kind of competition.

I love bets on players like this.
True but what I was talking, historically the end result of when they come over isn't all that promising either.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
True but what I was talking, historically the end result of when they come over isn't all that promising either.

You left off Mats Zuccarello.

Most bets on overage European pros are going to fail, whether they come from a non-traditional hockey country or not. The NHL is a really difficult league. It's still a no-risk signing.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
26 year old offensive defenseman named the Finnish leagues best defenseman from HIFK...where have I heard that before? :D

Would love a Rafalski Redux 17 years later!

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
You left off Mats Zuccarello.

Most bets on overage European pros are going to fail, whether they come from a non-traditional hockey country or not. The NHL is a really difficult league. It's still a no-risk signing.
Not sure 7 off-seasons ago is the "recent" I specified in transactions-speak.

Fair enough, it's not Auvitu it's just the general trend I'm noticing that I'm not very confident will pay dividends. I watched him in the WC and he was probably one of the best players on the team. He moves the puck fairly well, got 3 assists I think.

DevHock

Apr 14, 2012

A 26 year old reigning Pekka Rautakallio Award winner. Worked out well last time we signed one.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005

Jari Viuhkola immediately jumps to mind.

Quick stat check:

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
Rafalski
1998-99 HIFK Helsinki SM-liiga 53 19 34 53 18 38 11 5 9 14 4

Yohann Auvitu
2015-16 HIFK Helsinki SM-liiga 48 6 15 21 6 22 18 6 7 13 14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad