Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Yohann Auvitu

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Thats a veeeeery old video, dating back to when he was a borderline Liiga player. But like I said, the potential has always been very evident.

He really made something happen every shift and was often the speartip of the attack, like is seen in some of the highlights from this spring on the post by thethinglonger. Its still obvious that it cannot be foreseen how his skills translate to the smaller rink and more physical environment, but I bet he can atleast be a serviceable 3rd pairing defenceman and play the point in the 2nd PP unit. He seemed to thrive best when playing powerplay in an umbrella formation as the lone guy at the blue line, but I don't know how Hynes and Co. organize the PP in NJ.

Pair him with someone who can stay behind when he is rushing up attacking, and he'll deliver, for sure. The way he played this spring is more than enough for fair minutes in The Big Show, but I understand that coaches might be wary of playing a player who is a relative unknown and arriveas from a smaller league. Him pairing up with someone like Adam Larsson is a pipe dream, but someone similarly equipped should be good. He and Swede Daniel Grillfors formed one of the best, if not the best, defensive partnerships in the Finnish league for the last two years, so maybe trying him out with a Swede isn't that bad of an idea. ;)

He'll get time with Larsson so that should be an interesting pair.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I was sold when I heard he was an excellent skater.

Excited to see how he fares in training camp/pre-season

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I love this for two reasons:

1. It shows that Hynes/Shero aren't content with the defense we currently have, especially that left side. Competition is never a bad thing.

2. It's likely that Hynes/Shero and even Geoff Ward saw something in Auvitu that they really liked at the recent WC.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
New Jersey also got a pretty good look at him at the WHC this past month. 7 games, 3 points and 14 shots are OK numbers.

France had 5 regular defensemen injured.
We played with 2 centers in defense, and 3 borderlines NT defensemen.
So you can imagine Auvitu played A LOT.
28+ minutes each game, PK, PP (often 2 full minutes, we didn't really have someone else...)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Remember the other signing in the offseason in which we signed Rafalski. Another overager who's name was John Madden. And we also signed another overager this offseason, Nick Lappin. The pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together

Until I see any of these no-name overseas guys under this administration really break out I'm not citing Rafalski/Madden nearly two decades ago. To me this guy's another Mozik until he proves himself. Which still isn't a bad signing, at worst it's AHL depth. I just get jaded at the hyping up of everyone we sign :laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Until I see any of these no-name overseas guys under this administration really break out I'm not citing Rafalski/Madden nearly two decades ago. To me this guy's another Mozik until he proves himself. Which still isn't a bad signing, at worst it's AHL depth. I just get jaded at the hyping up of everyone we sign :laugh:

Or Rod Pelley, the "next Madden'.

I hope this Frenchmen is as good as advertised.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Mobility is no longer an issue on the blue line.

I wonder what this signing entails for Schlemko, or if we trade Moore/Merrill.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Left Side:
Greene
Moore
Merril
Auvitu
Helgeson

Right Side:
Larsson
Severson
Santini
Mozik
Jacobs

The question is, do we sign Schlemko or do we go for someone with some grit who can eat up minutes?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Left Side:
Greene
Moore
Merril
Auvitu
Helgeson

Right Side:
Larsson
Severson
Santini
Mozik
Jacobs

The question is, do we sign Schlemko or do we go for someone with some grit who can eat up minutes?

Helgeson is not a NHL d-man IMO, he was subpar for Albany in the playoffs.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
26 year old offensive defenseman named the Finnish leagues best defenseman from HIFK...where have I heard that before? :D

Would love a Rafalski Redux 17 years later!

Rafalski was more speedy than Auvitu. Yohan will bring good puck moving, he's not that physical, but good defensively. I think he even played forward in his early pro years, not sure in Finland, maybe in Mestis (second division). He's a warrior, he won't ever quit.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Mobility is no longer an issue on the blue line.

I wonder what this signing entails for Schlemko, or if we trade Moore/Merrill.

Way WAY to early to consider such things as far as trading goes. We don't know if this kid can handle NHL minutes yet.

Also resigning Schlemko also should happen because we can't assume Santini makes the team either.

Merrill just had surgery that will keep him out for part of camp so signings like this on the left side help.

Only thing this signing indicates to me is that Shero might not be interested in paying top dollar for the older guys on the left side hitting UFA like Yandle.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Way WAY to early to consider such things as far as trading goes. We don't know if this kid can handle NHL minutes yet.

Also resigning Schlemko also should happen because we can't assume Santini makes the team either.

Merrill just had surgery that will keep him out for part of camp so signings like this on the left side help.

Only thing this signing indicates to me is that Shero might not be interested in paying top dollar for the older guys on the left side hitting UFA like Yandle.
It definitely suggests that we're not going to be going after big name defensive UFAs. I like this move a lot, low risk high reward; it solidifies a defense corps that was already pretty strong a year ago. If we were going to compete this season, I'd be willing to pursue Yandle, but it's clear even now that we're not expected to.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Looks like a solid add. Worst comes to worst he takes over for MAG in Albany.

I agree I like that Shero and company using the international leagues.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
472302646-yohann-auvitu-of-the-french-mens-national-gettyimages.jpg

Robert-De-Niro-in-Taxi-Driver.jpg

DevHock

Apr 14, 2012
Haha, funny thing is others brought it up as a fun fact but you're being serious...

Statistically if we use Rafalskki's NHLe to convert for Auvitu he will score 14 points in an 82 game season next year, which is better than most of the aforementioned guys but as mentioned before he's not from a traditional hockey country (like America) so things could be taken into consideration there. I don't have the more up to date NHLe or I guess it would be Liiga-e to use as a projection for his next season, perhaps someone else has that figure.

So he's an upgrade over Andy Greene! :laugh:

Auvitu drawing interest from at least 5 teams makes it a no brainer to have signed him considering the organizations LD. Much more impressive on paper than the Mozik signing last year. What he projects into depends on his adjustments to the physicality and skill of the NHL game. He's not Rafalski nor will another Rafalski happen as Liiga and other top European leagues are taken far more seriously. It'll be nice to see this guy in the preseason.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It definitely suggests that we're not going to be going after big name defensive UFAs. I like this move a lot, low risk high reward; it solidifies a defense corps that was already pretty strong a year ago. If we were going to compete this season, I'd be willing to pursue Yandle, but it's clear even now that we're not expected to.

Agreed, we are building a solid group that can challenge for a playoff spot, but we aren't one or two players away from cup contention. That is when you splurge on the UFA market (and I think where some get hung up on spending vs not spending).

To me this is like adding extra middle round picks without trading away assets. It increases organizational depth, which is never a bad thing.

Group Chat Legend*

This move suggests nothing about our off-season plans or who's in our out.

Dont see how you can say that. Why would he leave a major league where he was excelling for the NHL if they planned on leaving him in the AHL the entire time? He was in a better league before.

I think it shows the confidence in a few players who we thought were locks for the D next year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Dont see how you can say that. Why would he leave a major league where he was excelling for the NHL if they planned on leaving him in the AHL the entire time? He was in a better league before.

I think it shows the confidence in a few players who we thought were locks for the D next year.

What kind of salary was he making overseas and what kind of salary is he going to make in the AHL/NHL?

I don't see any kind of correlation to his signing and what they think of the top eight either...by that rationale Mozik was promised a spot last year too. He left a pro league and spent most of last year in the AHL. A lot of these guys just want a chance to make the best league in the world. You're not going to get that chance staying overseas.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Left Side:
Greene
Moore
Merril
Auvitu
Helgeson

Right Side:
Larsson
Severson
Santini
Mozik
Jacobs

I actually think we don't need grit but another PP option.

Yandle is perfect what we need because ideally we don't want to play either Moore or Merrill on the 2nd pairing. Schlemko also ideally isn't a 2nd pairing dman.

My ideal lineup

Yandle-Larsson
Larsson is an ideal partner for Yandle. His defensive positioning is excellent which can allow Yandle to be more creative offensively. Yandle can also handle big minutes given he used to be the no.1 guy in Phoenix.

Greene-Severson
Severson needs a steady veteran to get him back on track after a difficult 2nd season and there is no better option than the captain. Also a bit like the no. 1 pairing, it is a good mix of offensive ability in Severson combined with defensive stability in Greene.

Moore-Schlemko
Both Moore and Schlemko had solid first seasons at NJ and can move the puck. These two make a fine veteran bottom pairing. And Hynes can rotate in Merrill or Auvitu in this pairing for either of Moore or Schlemko depending on form or matchups.

Extras: Merrill, Auvitu, Warsofsky?
Merrill is at a career crossroads because he just can't find consistency in his game. Whether it will be injuries or continually switching from playing left D one night then right D another night. Merrill could find himself traded or perhaps even not qualified depending on how highly Shero thinks of Auvitu.

In signing a 1 year contract has Shero promissed Auvitu a guaranteed spot in the big club? After the season he just had in Finland, you would think at minimum he gets 20 games at the start of the season, a bit like O'Neill got. If he can cut it, he stays. If he can't (like O'Neill) he either goes to AHL or back to Europe midseason ala Damian Brunner.

Warsofsky is also a potential wildcard. Just how much does Hynes really like him. So highly that he is another one that stays in the big club. A D version of Farnham? He could be useful in that we could scratch him for multiple games and he won't complain about his role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad