Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tomas Nosek (1 year, $1 million)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There’s a difference between nurturing drive in your kids and mandating it, especially in a specific direction.
It’s a fine line. You have to know when to back off and ultimately they are your kids and you don’t want to damage them. My basic premise is that living like a student is only ok when you are a student and at some point you want more and that will give you incentive to move forward. If one of the boys wants to come home they know they will always have a place but I would think the pain of listening to my old man jokes would give them lots of pause about having to actually take us up on it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
My point wasn’t about draft ranking, but actual production. Zacha’s junior numbers were underwhelming, below a point per game in his draft year and then slightly above he D+1 year (obviously the latter was unknown at the time). He had (and still has) the physical tools scouts love, but the numbers should have raised a red flag about finishing skills. And guess what Zacha’s problem has been in the NHL…finishing. By constraint Barzal was well above a ppg his draft year.

I agree with Jason that the current regime likely wouldn’t have taken him. Players with similar statistical profile taken that high tend to underperform their draft position.
I don’t really want to debate Zacha anymore, he’s a Bruin and there’s been quite a lot of management turnover since 2015, but he only played 37 regular season games due to injuries and the Sting only played 5 playoff games.

There was some mystery there with Zacha, and the solution didn’t turn out great, but there wasn’t really enough OHL stats to blame.

These two players had very similar stats going into the 2021 draft, they aren’t the reason Dallas took Johnston 23rd and he worked out pretty well for them.

2D88BDC4-B8F5-40D9-B8D6-CA98705F8DC8.jpeg

Teams didn’t like Barzal because he didn’t score goals but playmakers who drive offense actually have a better chance to do something in the pros than most. And they often turn into goal scorers too.

Guys “who just score goals” often don’t do that in the NHL so finishing is actually a dangerous thing to go after at times.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If one of the boys wants to come home they know they will always have a place but I would think the pain of listening to my old man jokes would give them lots of pause about having to actually take us up on it.
*WE* keep coming back HERE.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Barzal would have been a great pick but he is a frustrating player. He's actually my favorite player in the league and one of the most entertaining player to watch behind McDavid IMO. He has some crazy edges , hands and even a great shot but he just doesn't throw up big numbers. I thought firing Trotz was a dumb move by Lou but many thlight Barzal's numbers would go up in a new system. It did not really happen too much this year.
Because skating with the puck isn't the hockey game yet.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
So?

Hughes
Hischier
Haula
McLeod
Nosek
Tierney
Lazar

See ya Michael

Regular season:

1691324369451.png

1691324482686.png

Playoffs:

1691324408662.png

1691324458341.png

Quick judgement would say Nosek is statwise very comparable, although MUCH more experienced player (52 playoff games games is A LOT).

That being said, when you have a minimum wage player that just carried an important gm7 win vs. Rangers when all the big money players disappeared like farts in the wind... You have to give the nod for McLeod to be the center, even when Nosek has clearly stated he wants to play center.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Regular season:

View attachment 733838
View attachment 733841
Playoffs:

View attachment 733839
View attachment 733840

Quick judgement would say Nosek is statwise very comparable, although MUCH more experienced player (52 playoff games games is A LOT).

That being said, when you have a minimum wage player that just carried an important gm7 win vs. Rangers when all the big money players disappeared like farts in the wind... You have to give the nod for McLeod to be the center, even when Nosek has clearly stated he wants to play center.
Unless that player is not allowed to play... then you let Nosek play C.

Camille the Eel

I don’t really want to debate Zacha anymore, he’s a Bruin and there’s been quite a lot of management turnover since 2015, but he only played 37 regular season games due to injuries and the Sting only played 5 playoff games.

There was some mystery there with Zacha, and the solution didn’t turn out great, but there wasn’t really enough OHL stats to blame.

These two players had very similar stats going into the 2021 draft, they aren’t the reason Dallas took Johnston 23rd and he worked out pretty well for them.

View attachment 730973

Teams didn’t like Barzal because he didn’t score goals but playmakers who drive offense actually have a better chance to do something in the pros than most. And they often turn into goal scorers too.

Guys “who just score goals” often don’t do that in the NHL so finishing is actually a dangerous thing to go after at times.
I remember seeing talk about Barzal interviewing with teams and coming off arrogant. Saying things like “you’ll be sorry if you don’t draft me,” and Neanderthal GM’s and that’s why his draft position dropped. Could have been some truth in that. Hockey front offices mostly are a generation behind the times, coaches often are too.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
No, nothing yet. I'm just kinda being pessimistic looking at the way everything has been surrounding him and am considering worst case scenario.
McLeod has to be rewarded with a center spot until proven otherwise. If you don't reward "low end" players for such a performance you are just full of shit as a franchise.

1691341824625.png

Amazing line performance during the season and the 2G + 4A in the playoffs is just ridiculously good for a 1M$ player.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
McLeod has to be rewarded with a center spot until proven otherwise. If you don't reward "low end" players for such a performance you are just full of shit as a franchise.

View attachment 733909

Amazing line performance during the season and the 2G + 4A in the playoffs is just ridiculously good for a 1M$ player.

Its the off-ice issues that would be keeping McLeod out.

Reactions: Aurinko and Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

View attachment 733909

Cool man, I didn't say anything negative about him...

Its the off-ice issues that would be keeping McLeod out.
Thought that was obvious but thank you for pointing it out for him.

Reactions: Aurinko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad