Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign Santini to Three Year Deal

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's looking like it does for Santini. For 18/19 year olds, the 9 game rule comes into play when burning a year. For prospects over 20, there isn't a benefit of an ELC slide.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1040

Christian Folin signed a two year ELC with the Wild in April 2014 and they dressed him for one game which burned a year. He was RFA last summer.

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=712196 (Initial signing March 31, 2014)

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/940e...d-re-sign-restricted-free-agent-folin-2-years (Re-signed July 2015)
Huh. Well, either way it doesn't matter that much IMO. It changes nothing in terms of later RFA/UFA status (which depends on number of pro years played or age, neither of which is affected by ELC contract status), so the only real danger is the Matteau problem of waiver eligibility one year early before a player is actually ready.

It sounds like this was done to ensure that Santini (and Wood) signed with us instead of exercising the UFA option, and as such I have no problem with the move. I'll happily burn the ELC year to prevent losing them altogether in this instance.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
No one was thrilled at the moment and didn't even know who he was. Once we started getting scouting reports in it started to make more sense.

He was the type of D-man we didn't really have in the system. Shutdown bruiser, but not a grenade handler with cement skates either. Hulk is the closest I guess, but not as good potentially.
Hulk is in the Santini mold, but he doesn't come anywhere close to Santini upside. Santini was compared to Langway at the draft. Langway!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hulk is in the Santini mold, but he doesn't come anywhere close to Santini upside. He was compared to Langway at the draft. Langway!

Oh I agree. Hulk can't tough Santini's upside. I was just thinking of who in the system even fits that mold at all, and Hulk was the only one that came to mind.

Why I came around to like the pick. Like it even more now because the team is to soft in certain areas. Having someone tough like this with major upside is exactly what we need.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
As I wrote in the other thread on Wood, that's only if you are 18 or 19 years old. I don't even think Wood or Santini need to play a game to burn a year.. that might already happen as the deal starts this season. See the rule below:

So their contract isn't extended, which IMO means they burn a year regardless of how many games (if any) they play.

I figure this was a key part to the negotiation to get them to come out early though.
Yeah, apparently I'm not 100% up on ELC contract minutiae... well, now I know. I agree with you that it's worth the expense to eliminate the UFA problem.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Oh I agree. Hulk can't tough Santini's upside. I was just thinking of who in the system even fits that mold at all, and Hulk was the only one that came to mind.

Why I came around to like the pick. Like it even more now because the team is to soft in certain areas. Having someone tough like this with major upside is exactly what we need.
Santini has the potential to be the prototypical modern NHL defensive defenseman. Physical, smart, and can skate and pass. That's what you need today. And I entirely agree with you... Santini brings snarl that the rest of the defense simply lacks.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Huh. Well, either way it doesn't matter that much IMO. It changes nothing in terms of later RFA/UFA status (which depends on number of pro years played or age, neither of which is affected by ELC contract status), so the only real danger is the Matteau problem of waiver eligibility one year early before a player is actually ready.

It sounds like this was done to ensure that Santini (and Wood) signed with us instead of exercising the UFA option, and as such I have no problem with the move. I'll happily burn the ELC year to prevent losing them altogether in this instance.

So it doesn't affect UFA because he won't get enough games this year to accrue a season but he will probably get enough games to get a year towards salary arbitration (10 NHL/AHL games combined).

I hadn't looked into waiver status:

The first season in which a Player who is age 20 or older plays in one (1) or more Professional Games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of years he is exempt from Regular Waivers.
For Players age 20 or older, Professional Games include NHL Games, all minor league regular season and playoff games and any other professional games, including but not limited to, play in European leagues when Player is on Loan to such club, and while Player is party to an SPC.

So it does start their waiver clock if they play (different rule from what happened with Matteau though) and it wouldn't have if it were just an ATO a la Jacobs.

Both Santini and Wood are considered 21 for waivers. This means he will have only 2 years of waiver exemption (his 1st of 3 years are used up if he plays tomorrow) or 80 NHL games, whichever comes first.

Nothing is impacted for Jacobs/Zacha waivers-wise.

EDIT: if they play ANY professional game so they will definitely burn it up even if they don't play tomorrow as they will be sent down for the AHL playoffs.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Santini has the potential to be the prototypical modern NHL defensive defenseman. Physical, smart, and can skate and pass. That's what you need today. And I entirely agree with you... Santini brings snarl that the rest of the defense simply lacks.

Add Zacha and Wood up front and now we have some teeth in the line up.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
A lot of agents want their college guys to burn a year of ELC immediately so they are one year closer to RFA and a quicker payday. I know Poile specifically said that when he made his statement about Vesey going rogue.

I'm sure Shero doesn't mind, he'd rather just get them under contract security and deal with it later. I don't think Santini or Wood are guys we will have to worry about with waivers in three years.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Very excited for these signings - nice not to have to worry about Santini or Wood possibly going the UFA route. Also crazy to think they may be in the lineup today - I tuned into BC's game on Thursday to watch them...would be great to see them and Zacha all make their debut.

If things go correctly, Shero will have a busy summer of 2018 with Zacha, Santini, Quenville & Wood all RFA.

Aside from burning a year of the ELC and getting a quicker payday, does signing for this season affect waiver eligibility for Santini and Wood?

Also, had BC advanced to tonight's championship game - would they still have been able to sign with NJ for this season or was this all made possible by BC's loss?

Probably all stuff TG would've gotten into in his blog or addressed on Twitter. Hopefully there's a decent replacement in place next year.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The way the college game is called, santini had to learn to play within that structure. He did a GREAT job of adjusting his game. My only slight concern is it took some of his physical "edge" away. For you guys, i hope he regains that. Because as a freshman he showed the ability to deliver bone crushing hits at the blue line.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Very excited for these signings - nice not to have to worry about Santini or Wood possibly going the UFA route. Also crazy to think they may be in the lineup today - I tuned into BC's game on Thursday to watch them...would be great to see them and Zacha all make their debut.

If things go correctly, Shero will have a busy summer of 2018 with Zacha, Santini, Quenville & Wood all RFA.

Aside from burning a year of the ELC and getting a quicker payday, does signing for this season affect waiver eligibility for Santini and Wood?

Also, had BC advanced to tonight's championship game - would they still have been able to sign with NJ for this season or was this all made possible by BC's loss?

Probably all stuff TG would've gotten into in his blog or addressed on Twitter. Hopefully there's a decent replacement in place next year.

I pretty sure that Zacha and JQ's contracts still slide. Only Wood and Santini would be RFAs after 17-18 season, while Zacha wont be until 18-19 or even 19-20 seasons if he doesnt make the team next year. JQ will be after the 18-19 season. Hopefully they dont all hit at once.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Their will be a huge contingent of the Santini family & friends from Mahopac, NY & Brewster, NY tonight (The heart of Rags country).

It's got to be such an emotional thrill for his parents to see their son play in his first NHL game, surreal of sorts.
I'm sure they will flashback to when he first put on skates, his first game, all of the early morning or late night times at the rink, etc.

I hope his family along with the Wood family enjoy themselves at the game tonight.

Same goes for the Zacha's, I hope they were able to fly in from the Czech Republic.

These signings and call-ups will make it a festive evening of sorts.

I plan to enter the rink right at 5:30, to take pictures with the Marty statue and also to go ice side for the 6:25 pregame skate and take pics of Patty, just in case it's his last game as a Devil.

*Hopefully Santini can change the hearts & minds of some Rags fans from Putnam/Westchester Counties who will end up rooting for the local kid.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I pretty sure that Zacha and JQ's contracts still slide. Only Wood and Santini would be RFAs after 17-18 season, while Zacha wont be until 18-19 or even 19-20 seasons if he doesnt make the team next year. JQ will be after the 18-19 season. Hopefully they dont all hit at once.

We will have the space to pay them all if they are worth any sort of big money by then.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A lot of agents want their college guys to burn a year of ELC immediately so they are one year closer to RFA and a quicker payday. I know Poile specifically said that when he made his statement about Vesey going rogue.

I'm sure Shero doesn't mind, he'd rather just get them under contract security and deal with it later. I don't think Santini or Wood are guys we will have to worry about with waivers in three years.

Ya the waiver situation is just completely different here than with Matts.

I don't want to hijack the thread with this but yes that extra year would of been nice and it was mismanaged. The kid was busting either way though.

I don't see Santini or Wood needing that extra year and if they do they are not amounting to much.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
This is great. Nice to see him with the Devils today and to get over to Albany for some playoffs to finish out the year. Nice to have him in the fold for the future!

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Ya the waiver situation is just completely different here than with Matts.

I don't want to hijack the thread with this but yes that extra year would of been nice and it was mismanaged. The kid was busting either way though.

I don't see Santini or Wood needing that extra year and if they do they are not amounting to much.

exactly. it'd be nice to have the extra year for being cap controlled, but if they pan out to something worth a damn figuring out a new contract for in those two years, it'll be a good problem to have.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Zacha and Q aren't starting their ELCs until next year as they will slide this year. They will both count next year as it will be their 20 year old season.

Yes. It burns a year of their waiver exemption. They will have 2 more years (as in next season and the season after that) remaining or 80 NHL games, whichever comes first.

They could have still signed and been assigned to the AHL. It wouldn't have changed anything.. they would have still burned a year of ELC and of waivers actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad