Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign Santini to Three Year Deal

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Play him tomorrow night instead of Warsofsky.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Santini will wear #38

Reports to NJ Tomorrow. I expect him to play

Wait what? I get wanting to get all these guys' first games under them but why burn a year off an ELC for one game? I guess so long as they got him signed though...

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
If he can play as a regular next year it does wonders for our depth. Awesome.

I'd rather have him play a full year in Albany. Same with Wood. Zacha I can see sticking here. But I really want Santini/Wood to crush it down in Albany before coming to the big show.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I would not be at all surprised if Santini started in Albany and finished with the big club.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Congrats to Santini and his family on getting this done. I think that he will someday be on the Devils top pairing laying crushing hits. Next up, Miles Wood.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One game doesn't burn a year.

It's looking like it does for Santini. For 18/19 year olds, the 9 game rule comes into play when burning a year. For prospects over 20, there isn't a benefit of an ELC slide.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1040

Christian Folin signed a two year ELC with the Wild in April 2014 and they dressed him for one game which burned a year. He was RFA last summer.

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=712196 (Initial signing March 31, 2014)

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/940e...d-re-sign-restricted-free-agent-folin-2-years (Re-signed July 2015)

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Would matter anyway. Because if he played down in Albany for the playoffs he would also burn a year.

If anything to avoid the burn they would have needed to wait till the off season.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
A season off the ELC doesnt get burned unless he plays more then 9 games

No it doesn't. He hasn't played a single game and he needs to play 9.

You need to play 9 games to get an ELC year off

One game doesn't burn a year.

As I wrote in the other thread on Wood, that's only if you are 18 or 19 years old. I don't even think Wood or Santini need to play a game to burn a year.. that might already happen as the deal starts this season. See the rule below:

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

So their contract isn't extended, which IMO means they burn a year regardless of how many games (if any) they play.

I figure this was a key part to the negotiation to get them to come out early though.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Would matter anyway. Because if he played down in Albany for the playoffs he would also burn a year.

If anything to avoid the burn they would have needed to wait till the off season.

The only way for them to avoid burning a year would have been to sign his ELC to begin next season and sign an ATO to play in Albany in the meantime. This is exactly what Jacobs did and most prospects end up doing.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
When I was at the draft at the Rock three years ago, I waited around until the Devils made their second round pick. As soon as Steve Santini's name was called, four people in front of me jumped up and started to leave their seats. I think they were relatives, other than his parents, as we were in the 100's. As one guy was leaving, he turns to me and said "Keep your eye on this kid, the Devils got a steal here." Let's hope he's right!

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
When I was at the draft at the Rock three years ago, I waited around until the Devils made their second round pick. As soon as Steve Santini's name was called, four people in front of me jumped up and started to leave their seats. I think they were relatives, other than his parents, as we were in the 100's. As one guy was leaving, he turns to me and said "Keep your eye on this kid, the Devils got a steal here." Let's hope he's right!

Cool story bro, and I honestly mean it.

I have high hopes for Santini even though I admittingly wasn't thrilled when his name was called.

I was in the 100 level too, but had no voice by then after booing bettman for an hour.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
The pick was puzzling at the time, but it didn't take long to become obvious why they opted for Santini there. I'm really excited for this kid, glad that he's finally in the fold and ready to start his pro career.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cool story bro, and I honestly mean it.

I have high hopes for Santini even though I admittingly wasn't thrilled when his name was called.

I was in the 100 level too, but had no voice by then after booing bettman for an hour.

No one was thrilled at the moment and didn't even know who he was. Once we started getting scouting reports in it started to make more sense.

He was the type of D-man we didn't really have in the system. Shutdown bruiser, but not a grenade handler with cement skates either. Hulk is the closest I guess, but not as good potentially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad