Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Nathan Bastian to a 2 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Lol Bastian is a fourth line plug that plays at replacement level, if that. Bastian can’t be plugged in anywhere and shouldn’t be plugged into the top lines since he is too slow not skilled enough.

people want to protect something that is easy to find over a guy that has good underlying numbers and put up 20 goals in a season before.

:laugh: i honestly wonder whether some of you actually watch the games

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I would suspect that Nate is protected when the dust settles. Fitzy gotta be shopping for a Dman perhaps sending kuok or another forward out the door

I can easily think of one forward or defenseman I'd much rather see exposed than Bastian.

The arrogance of some of the posters on this thread is mind boggling. Opposing players are uncomfortable when guys like Bastian are on the ice. There aren't all that many forwards in the current Devils' lineup about whom you can say that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I can easily think of one forward or defenseman I'd much rather see exposed than Bastian.

The arrogance of some of the posters on this thread is mind boggling. Opposing players are uncomfortable when guys like Bastian are on the ice. There aren't all that many forwards in the current Devils' lineup about whom you can say that.

well, good thing a DMan has no bearing on whether you are protecting Bastian or not

It comes down to one slot between McLeod, Johnsson, and Bastian. McLeod plays the more important position so he has the upper hand, but thats the reality of the situation.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I agree. I have no qualms with giving up a mid round pick so they take someone like Butcher. I'm on the other side of your argument on Johnsson though, I want to see how he does with a full, normal year here. I get why some are sour on his performance this year, but his underlying numbers at least show some sort of promise.

I wouldn't shed a tear if he was taken though. :laugh:

There's no talent there. One 20 goal season, most of his production while playing along Matthews and Marner. Then a big contract. Then a 7 goal season, then a 5 goal season. No courage, no IQ and a consistent flow of costly turnovers and coverage lapses. We're not talking about an NHL quality player. You give his minutes to Bastian (or Merkley or Studenic or Holtz or Mercer) next year, any of them will put up more points. There was not a single player in the entire NHL last year who played more top-6 minutes and scored fewer points than Johnsson. Not one. If it costs something reasonable to keep Bastian, the Devils absolutely need to do this.

Reactions: Guadana and HBK27

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
That depends on the other forwards you feel must be protected. I'd be willing to bet there are at least two forwards deemed as "must protect" that the organization could only hope would get claimed (they wouldn't).

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I always liked what Bastian did. Think, given enough time, he could be sort of Maroon or Ryan Clowe-like - much more adept at playmaking than he gets credit for.

Plus, he seems like a positive, even keel kid, who sticks up for his teammates.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That depends on the other forwards you feel must be protected. I'd be willing to bet there are at least two forwards deemed as "must protect" that the organization could only hope would get claimed (they wouldn't).

Please enlighten us with your 7 protected forwards then.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Is another Johnsson on the team a better option than Butcher in the press box? Butcher will get a chance with another team after next season at the latest. My guess is that had a decent trade option presented itself Butcher would have been moved already. He's pricey for a third pair guy in a flat cap environment so I doubt he's moveable.

It doesn't make sense to keep unhappy players around - I'm not saying Butcher is an issue in the locker room but in general, guys in the middle of their careers don't like to sit, especially if they have been on the team for 4 seasons and been dressed when healthy 100% of the time for the first 3.

If the Devils could get a 3rd pairing RHD for Butcher, even with some retention, that would be just fine. Last season it was very difficult to make trades and players may not have been wanted to be dealt given all the difficulties.

Camille the Eel

Lol Bastian is a fourth line plug that plays at replacement level, if that. Bastian can’t be plugged in anywhere and shouldn’t be plugged into the top lines since he is too slow not skilled enough.

people want to protect something that is easy to find over a guy that has good underlying numbers and put up 20 goals in a season before.
I don’t know who these people are you write of. If you read my post you’d see I agree with you he can be replaced.

Reactions: Auto Pilot

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada

Keep hanging in there for another jonsson 20 goal season. Not happening. That is way in the rear view mirror

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It doesn't make sense to keep unhappy players around - I'm not saying Butcher is an issue in the locker room but in general, guys in the middle of their careers don't like to sit, especially if they have been on the team for 4 seasons and been dressed when healthy 100% of the time for the first 3.

If the Devils could get a 3rd pairing RHD for Butcher, even with some retention, that would be just fine. Last season it was very difficult to make trades and players may not have been wanted to be dealt given all the difficulties.

I don't disagree. If BUF can stomach Risto for Butcher and Thompson and something else along the lines of a lower prospect or lower pick, maybe with some retention by NJ if that helps, I'd say go for it. BUF fans seem to think Risto returns a second rounder and a player or prospect but in the flat cap world that sounds unlikely. They are sort of in a worse situation with an openly unhappy guy in the locker room. If there is any truth to NJ calling on Risto I imagine it centers around something like that.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There's no talent there. One 20 goal season, most of his production while playing along Matthews and Marner. Then a big contract. Then a 7 goal season, then a 5 goal season. No courage, no IQ and a consistent flow of costly turnovers and coverage lapses. We're not talking about an NHL quality player. You give his minutes to Bastian (or Merkley or Studenic or Holtz or Mercer) next year, any of them will put up more points. There was not a single player in the entire NHL last year who played more top-6 minutes and scored fewer points than Johnsson. Not one. If it costs something reasonable to keep Bastian, the Devils absolutely need to do this.

At some point, the dam is going to burst and you will tell us your true thoughts on Johnsson. This beating around the bush and hinting at some issues you might have with his game is frustrating. It's like reading @Bleedred write about goalies. We are all left wondering what you mean. Are you saying he's great and carried Matthews in TOR? We just can't tell from your posts. Just say it already. We can handle the truth.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like Bastian, but I'm not sure he's worth paying Seattle to protect.
Agree. Some people overrate him, but then there’s a couple underrating him. I was high on him after he was drafted and I’m hoping maybe he can become the next Coleman (even if not as good). I think Seattle would probably want someone a little more proven than him, with a little more games played in the league.

And if Johnsson is here next year, then give him a shot and play him, but he’s not worth protecting at all. Not even in the slightest. There’s absolutely no reason to protect this player at all. If he’s here, he’s here. If he’s not, he’s not.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I’d like to keep Bastian around but I don’t like hearing that Fitz got defensive about Johnsson. I’d hate to have him protect him just cause went out and traded for the guy.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I like Bastian, but I'm not sure he's worth paying Seattle to protect.

it’s statistically unlikely (although not impossible) that we draft someone better than bastian with a 4th round pick or later. i’m fine giving them something to take butcher- who i actually think is pretty underrated as it is. i know the board takes every opportunity to shit on his skating (which isn’t great) but in the right role he can be quite effective.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
:laugh: i honestly wonder whether some of you actually watch the games
I watch them and look at the underlying numbers. People legit wanting to keep a replacement player that just grinds over a winger with speed and skill that had an off year is foolish

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
L
Keep hanging in there for another jonsson 20 goal season. Not happening. That is way in the rear view mirror
Who’s saying I’m hanging on for another 20 goal season? He’ll put in 15 probably on average and help with more assists. Him as a third liner would be amazing once the other players start coming into their own. You guys are shitting on him while defending a 4th liner for some reason haha. We gave up nothing for Johnsson.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I watch them and look at the underlying numbers. People legit wanting to keep a replacement player that just grinds over a winger with speed and skill that had an off year is foolish

do underlying numbers include things like points? because despite aj getting more time on ice and playing in 9 more games, he outscored bastian by 1 point lol.

besides that, we really don’t have a place for him here. we have plenty of small, skilled, limp dicked wingers; we do not have a lot of bastians. i want a balanced lineup of role players.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
8931EACC-B6C1-48F7-9A28-1BC76DF0175C.png
6D69C44F-B545-4985-995D-1572D903958D.png
1A6E4678-5E22-4A8B-86C8-462F025620CA.jpeg
3CD3C756-67D1-4992-9278-08EDD4909375.jpeg
do underlying numbers include things like points? because despite aj getting more time on ice and playing in 9 more games, he outscored bastian by 1 point lol.

besides that, we really don’t have a place for him here. we have plenty of small, skilled, limp dicked wingers; we do not have a lot of bastians. i want a balanced lineup of role players.

yea, for the group that tells others to watch the game they sure ignore how Johnsson actually throws his body around.

Underlying numbers suggest this was an off year, yet they are still solid and he is a lot better defensively than Bastian.

the players some do you chose to defend is laughable.

Johnsson is a better player than Bastian even with an underperforming year.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
You think that johnsson has speed?? He looked slow, overmatched and somewhat feeble for the most part this year

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You think that johnsson has speed?? He looked slow, overmatched and somewhat feeble for the most part this year
He has quickness. I thought he was fairly gritty as well. The skill was lacking though. I might throw smarts in there as well, but I think that's difficult to pin down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad