Prospect Info: Devils Picking 4th Overall, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Yeah "BPA not need" old story. Who is BPA? small skilled offensive first forward like Eklund or good skater puck mover with defensive lack like Hughes? You draft BPA when it is obvious choice. When it`s not - you draft for needs.

This draft is deep defensively some of the guys who haven't been seen as much might be just as good in the second round as the big three....BPA is always there when you take a player over another for need it increases your chances of drafting the wrong player.....We have enough holes on this team we need everything but most of all we need impact players not run of the mill...So whoever we take needs to be the highest guy on their board.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah if Power/Hughes/Clarke go 1-3 I would look to trade the pick first, but if no one pays up you take the best available forward (player) I think. I'm not sold on Edvinsson over those guys but his ceiling / tool set is enticing.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Yeah if Power/Hughes/Clarke go 1-3 I would look to trade the pick first, but if no one pays up you take the best available forward (player) I think. I'm not sold on Edvinsson over those guys but his ceiling / tool set is enticing.
So you trade the pick and miss out on Beniers or Eklund ? No way. Everyone has their eyes set on taking a dman because we need one badly in the system with top line potential. Don't sleep on a potential all star talent. That being said I hope we get Hughes at 4 though. Trading down is not worth it this high in the draft.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Have Sorokin or Shesterkin really shown any more than Mac?

Shesterkin has because he’s been consistently (didn’t have to deal with Covid like Blackwood did) great behind an awful defense. Sorokin is playing in Barry Trotz system with Mitch Korn as his goalie coach. That’s a cheat code for goalies. Blackwood from the Hynes firing up until he got hit by Covid (pretty small sample sure) was legitimately playing like the best goalie in the world

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
This draft is deep defensively some of the guys who haven't been seen as much might be just as good in the second round as the big three....BPA is always there when you take a player over another for need it increases your chances of drafting the wrong player.....We have enough holes on this team we need everything but most of all we need impact players not run of the mill...So whoever we take needs to be the highest guy on their board.
You didnt answer my question. Because you have no answer. When you need everyone(and first of all we need defense. miles away we need defense. this is obvious. just look at our roster and prospect pool), you draft what you need more when you cant answer who is better.
In this draft we need defenseman. We need him all drafts ago, but we cant take Guhle\Schneider over those forwards who were available, because difference was big enough. Devils cant draft defenseman over Hughes because difference was big enough. This year? There are no obvious difference.

And ofcourse Devils must trade draft pick if they can take impact defenseman. "Young good defenseman" as we heard before.
Sanderson is young good defenseman. If devils have an option to trade 4th pick for Sanderson, they must make a trade immediately.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You didnt answer my question. Because you have no answer. When you need everyone(and first of all we need defense. miles away we need defense. this is obvious. just look at our roster and prospect pool), you draft what you need more when you cant answer who is better.
In this draft we need defenseman. We need him all drafts ago, but we cant take Guhle\Schneider over those forwards who were available, because difference was big enough. Devils cant draft defenseman over Hughes because difference was big enough. This year? There are no obvious difference.

And ofcourse Devils must trade draft pick if they can take impact defenseman. "Young good defenseman" as we heard before.
Sanderson is young good defenseman. If devils have an option to trade 4th pick for Sanderson, they must make a trade immediately.

I think it depends upon how you see BPA. My guess is that with so many scouts and so much analysis they typically can make calls on who they see as BPA even if it’s close. Doesn’t mean they are correct but it does mean they see a clear choice rather then resorting to need in most cases.

Reactions: Guadana

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The Rangers and Islanders are set with Sorokin and Shesty Mack hasn't shown he's consistent yet or a true number one....Wallstedt should be considered if anything to lock down that positions depth for the next 10 15 years between him and Mack and Dawes
I missed it if you did post it but you want Wallstedt with pick #4 ?
I get the thought process but not at #4 . Too many bigger holes we need to fill and those holes are only plugged by drafting . If we needed a winger I’d say use trade down and get the goalie and another pick . I just don’t see Wallstedt as that good to use to 4 on. Maybe if the pick was 10+ and even then I am not sure . It’s another different topic but I’d also pick Cossa over Wallstedt

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think it depends upon how you see BPA. My guess is that with so many scouts and so much analysis they typically can make calls on who they see as BPA even if it’s close. Doesn’t mean they are correct but it does mean they see a clear choice rather then resorting to need in most cases.
Definitely. They always have a ranking.
But Devils took Mukha by third pick in the past draft. Schneider over Lapierre, Baron over Bourque, Guhle over Mercer etc. You can talk a lot about the ranks of who is better, who is worse, but when the question arises between the defenseman and the forward, and their difference in talent will not be so obvious, the choice will always be in favor of the need.

Reactions: My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
If those three defenseman are gone, Id look to them taking either Edvinsson or Eklund

if they think Edvinsson is in that tier of dmen than take him. However with Beniers I dont see a natural fit, and while you dont draft for immediate need.. I think we can all agree Jack and Nico will still be here as our top-6 centers in 5-7 years so.

plus I have Eklund as the best forward in the draft (aka the best out of Guenther Johnson Beniers Lysell and MacTavish, cause idk anyone past the top-10 lol)

Not necessarily. It's less likely (imo) with Jack, but what if Nico just stays a 40-50 pt center? We'd need to upgrade on that. Not saying it's going to happen. My point is you can't just say "were good on centers", especially when our centers are still so young and haven't really done much yet. If Jack and Nico emerge later as a lock for our top 2 centers, we then have a really good traded piece with Beniers.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I found decision. If Power, Clarke and Hughes were gone - Beniers is still available. Than we trade 4th pick for Sanderson+ their pick. Ottawa`s biggest need is center. We take Sanderson and draft Ceulemans. Sanderson is better skater than Clarke, better defenseman than Hughes and better puckmover than Edvinsson, and he is closer to our core. Thanks to me. I`m GM of the Year. Lou, give me back my trophy.

I'd 100% do that trade, would they?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
So you trade the pick and miss out on Beniers or Eklund ? No way. Everyone has their eyes set on taking a dman because we need one badly in the system with top line potential. Don't sleep on a potential all star talent. That being said I hope we get Hughes at 4 though. Trading down is not worth it this high in the draft.

It's worth trading down if you can get back a solid d prospect.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In what way specifically? Wins?
Sorokin has an interesting athleticism in my opinion. In some ways his movements look a little like Brodeur...not really comparing the two just noticed a similarity in movement.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Shesterkin has because he’s been consistently (didn’t have to deal with Covid like Blackwood did) great behind an awful defense. Sorokin is playing in Barry Trotz system with Mitch Korn as his goalie coach. That’s a cheat code for goalies. Blackwood from the Hynes firing up until he got hit by Covid (pretty small sample sure) was legitimately playing like the best goalie in the world

Shesterkin was ranked second best outside NHL goalie always ranked ahead was Sorokin and he played pretty damn good in the playoffs

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I missed it if you did post it but you want Wallstedt with pick #4 ?
I get the thought process but not at #4 . Too many bigger holes we need to fill and those holes are only plugged by drafting . If we needed a winger I’d say use trade down and get the goalie and another pick . I just don’t see Wallstedt as that good to use to 4 on. Maybe if the pick was 10+ and even then I am not sure . It’s another different topic but I’d also pick Cossa over Wallstedt

Would prefer a trade down at same time wouldn't be against Wallstedt if Devils had him that high on their board.....

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Even last year this draft was known to be a defenseman heavy draft....All top three and Edvidsson have holes in their games there will be defenseman drafted later just as good.....I would take BPA if that's Eklund I'd draft him then......This big three is a myth imo

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Even last year this draft was known to be a defenseman heavy draft....All top three and Edvidsson have holes in their games there will be defenseman drafted later just as good.....I would take BPA if that's Eklund I'd draft him then......This big three is a myth imo
If you will use your logic of BPA you will draft forwards every year. And you will never build cup contender. Will you build a playoff team is a real question.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Rangers and Islanders are set with Sorokin and Shesty Mack hasn't shown he's consistent yet or a true number one....Wallstedt should be considered if anything to lock down that positions depth for the next 10 15 years between him and Mack and Dawes

Have Sorokin or Shesterkin really shown any more than Mac?
Both the Russian goalies were both drafted in 2014, Sorokin turns 26 in August while Shesterkin is a bit younger, turning 26 in December. Blackwood also has a December bday, so he’s a year younger than Shesterkin.

Sorokin has played in 22 regular season NHL games, starting in 21, in his first NHL season and he also played 7 playoff games, starting in 5.

He received 4 points in Calder voting*, getting two votes (one 4th & one 5th). That tied him for 15th with Wild’s goalie Kahkonen, 24, who got the same two votes. (There were four goalies who finished ahead of them.)

Shesterkin played 12 NHL games in 2019-20, starting in 10. He had one start in the bubble qualifying round. This is his rookie season, he played in 35 games, starting in 31. (That’s a total of 48 games and 42 starts.)

Shesterkin got 165 points in the Calder voting, getting 13 3rd place votes, 29 4th place and 13 5th place. That was good enough for 5th. Shesterkin was the 2nd goalie in voting, Nedeljkovic, 25, came in 3rd while Vanecek, 25, came in 6th and Lankinen, 25, came in 13th.

Blackwood first played in the NHL in 2018-19, playing in 23 games and starting 21. His rookie season was 2019-20, when he was 23, and he played in 47 games and started in 43. This season he played 35 games, all starts. That’s a total of 105 games with 99 starts.

He got 164 points in 2019-20 Calder voting, receiving 1 2nd place vote, 16 3rd place, 15 4th place and 32 5th place. That got Mac 6th place, behind Merzlikins, 25, in 5th and ahead of Samsonov, 22, in 12th.

*Note: The PHWA limited the number of voters to 100 this year to limit the geographical disparities among the voters. There were 170 in 2019-20.

Have they shown more than Blackwood? Shesterkin might have simply because he has been very impressive. Sorokin hasn’t done much though and plays on a team that has recently made several goalies look very good so it’s harder to judge him. Not sure how ~20 games proves a goalie is reliable number one starter either.

And people do discuss both of them like they’re up and coming young goalies but they’re not particularly young. It took forever to get them both over. Both of those teams aren’t “set” in net long term, they have to start looking at drafting goalie prospects too.

I don’t mind drafting goalies in the 1st round but 4OA is a bit extreme to me though.

Last edited:

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Yeah "BPA not need" old story. Who is BPA? small skilled offensive first forward like Eklund or good skater puck mover with defensive lack like Hughes? You draft BPA when it is obvious choice. When it`s not - you draft for needs.

If for whatever reason Beniers is still on the board at 4, I think you take the player and figure things out later.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
You guys havent learned from the past about drafting BPA !? Lou and Conte did it every year from like 2005 to 2015 and look how it worked out....lol. In all seriousness we need a high end d man and the only way we can really get one is to draft one. If we cant sign one than this is literally the only way we will get one.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
In 5 years this draft might be a complete mess and a redraft will look entirely different. It will be very interesting to see how it turns out but this year has the most potential for “ what the hell were people thinking drafting Player X when player Y was still available.
Or how the hell did player X slide all the way down to the second round . I just hope our pick pans out to be good and worthy of where we selected.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Guys, there is virtually a 0 percent chance Beniers falls out of the top 3. It simply is not going to happen. We will have one of Clarke/Hughes available at 4….or both. Personally, I’m hoping Anaheim takes Hughes at 3 so there’s no hard feelings when we select Clarke at 4.

Reactions: nugg and Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2