Pre-Game Talk: Devils @ Leafs | Wednesday @ 740pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Today we find out if the Leafs are a great team or a good team.

Great teams usually beat teams like the Devils and extend their smaller win streaks till it becomes big. Good teams can get complacent at times and take teams for granted and lose to these kinds of teams.

Devils have played two bad teams and won against both. We have played 2 teams that made the playoffs and made them look silly for 4/6 periods.

Just go out and win. There is a very real possibility that we can extend this to a 7-8 game win streak if we win this one.

Reactions: canadon

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Great teams usually beat teams like the Devils and extend their smaller win streaks till it becomes big. Good teams can get complacent at times and take teams for granted and lose to these kinds of teams.

Devils have played two bad teams and won against both. We have played 2 teams that made the playoffs and made them look silly for 4/6 periods.

Just go out and win. There is a very real possibility that we can extend this to a 7-8 game win streak if we win this one.

That's a little extreme. Bad teams beat good teams all the time. Sometimes it's luck, sometimes it's an off game, sometimes it's just not your night, etc.

We'll probably lose games throughout the season against teams we should be winning against. As long as we consistently win most of our games, we'll be fine.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That's a little extreme. Bad teams beat good teams all the time. Sometimes it's luck, sometimes it's an off game, sometimes it's just not your night, etc.

We'll probably lose games throughout the season against teams we should be winning against. As long as we consistently win most of our games, we'll be fine.

Well it's not as black and white as I mentioned there, Devils can play a great hockey game and outplay us. That's going to happen...it's impossible to play at the top of your game for 82 games.

All I am saying is that if the Leafs can play well against the Rangers and the Blackhawks, effort should not be a concern tonight. We should push the pace and dictate the game. I don't mind losing to a hot goalie or an extraordinary performance by one of their players.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I

If we are in first place that means we should beat everyone

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Can't take any teams for granted, especially with our defensive play. If we expect to win, we have to outwork them tonight.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The Devils are a solid team. No idea why some people still think they're just a trap team. It's been a long time since they played that style all game.
When people are saying "avoid the trap game" they don't mean trap as in playing style, they mean these games are literally a trap: Games you should win so you take it lightly but the other team is hungry and they make you look stupid.
That's what they want to avoid.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I like the confidence in this post, but I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves.

Sometimes an early record doesn't really speak to what is really going on. San Jose hasn't won a game (since Marleau left),while Pittsburgh is behind Philly, NY Islanders and the Devils.

There's going to come a time when the Leafs hit the skids and all this talk is going to be why haven't they traded JVR & Bozak yet.

The biggest thing that I would say is that it's a lot easier to get points early in the season, than wait until the 2nd last game to finally punch your ticket to the playoffs.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
This screams out trap game...after an intense win over the Blackhawks, and before a Saturday HNIC in Montreal. GLG

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We will need to be disciplined. The NJ powerplay has been very potent so far.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I like the confidence in this post, but I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves.

Sometimes an early record doesn't really speak to what is really going on. San Jose hasn't won a game (since Marleau left),while Pittsburgh is behind Philly, NY Islanders and the Devils.

There's going to come a time when the Leafs hit the skids and all this talk is going to be why haven't they traded JVR & Bozak yet.

The biggest thing that I would say is that it's a lot easier to get points early in the season, than wait until the 2nd last game to finally punch your ticket to the playoffs.

I think the point was more - these are the teams we should be beating.

a good reason why Montreal finished first in the division last year was that they ripped off 13 wins in October. (same with Columbus and their 16 game winning streak). get the points now - we're basically in a division slot. like you mentioned. -

I do find when people keep saying we punched in our ticket in the 2nd last game, let's also remember we played well enough to actually control our own destiny (even up to the final game). that is also equally important. It doesn't matter when we "clinch" (well it does, arguably, if you want to rest players and all), but the bigger draw is to always be in control of your own fate - not hope for others to fall/win to impact yours.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
New Jersey is the typical underwhelming team that can beat the leafs right now. This tends to happen with the leafs. They play well, win a few games in a row, and some crappy team beats them. So we will see how it goes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NJ is a much improved team and have some impressive rookies including Nico Hischier, Will Butcher and a player nobody has heard of Jesper Bratt.

I watched their game the other day and NCAA UFA Dman Butcher set up 3 goals and Jesper Bratt impacted the game like Marner does and has 3-2-5 points in his 1st 2 NHL games and Nico is a buzz saw and flying around everywhere.

Leafs are going to need to be ready for an aggressive attack, something that we are not use to seeing from Lou's former team.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We should win this game but we can not take them lightly, the Devils are a pretty good team and we need to wok hard and put up a solid effort

Obviously we are not going to win every single night but we need to win the games that we should. The long winning streaks are so vital to win your division and play more home games in playoff series

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We should win this game but we can not take them lightly, the Devils are a pretty good team and we need to wok hard and put up a solid effort

Obviously we are not going to win every single night but we need to win the games that we should

In the age of parity you can't really take any team lightly, look at how good Vegas has been and their roster on paper is pretty bad.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
NJ is a much improved team and have some impressive rookies including Nico Hischier, Will Butcher and a player nobody has heard of Jesper Bratt.

I watched their game the other day and NCAA UFA Dman Butcher set up 3 goals and Jesper Bratt impacted the game like Marner does and has 3-2-5 points in his 1st 2 NHL games and Nico is a buzz saw and flying around everywhere.

Leafs are going to need to be ready for an aggressive attack, something that we are not use to seeing from Lou's former team.

Playing Buffalo who has a new coach and system and a team that finished with about half the points we had last season is nothing to write home about.

I've said it before, but the Devils looked impressive but they just took care of business beating those two teams. We have to take care of business and beat them.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Schneider is the x-factor. If he stands on his head, it could make things a lot more difficult, given NJD offense seems to be clicking at the moment. I think we come out flying though "with the shock and awe" attack that chased Lundqvist and hopefully we can rattle Schneider early.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Don't know if NJ has the defensive depth to handle Matthews-Kadri-Bozak-Brown one after the other. This should be a much easier game than the previous three, but the team does have a tendency to underestimate lesser teams. They lost games to the Avs, Coyotes and Devils last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad