Pre-Game Talk: Devils @ Leafs | Wednesday @ 740pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We're the better team, but they're still dangerous. Fast, a decent amount of skill, good team d (despite weaker players on the blueline), an elite goalie, and off to a hot start to the season. We're the favourites, but shouldn't take them lightly. Need to bring the effort level we brought against the Hawks.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
lol. i can but that has NOTHING to do with the outrageous claim that nj's top 6 is in the top 1/2 of the league. matter of fact you would probably be hard pressed to find 5% of devils fans who would make that claim. lol.
barring serious injuries, their top 6 is going to be ~15th in the league in scoring. You'll see soon enough

Reactions: Auston Marlander

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
barring serious injuries, their top 6 is going to be ~15th in the league in scoring. You'll see soon enough

well you are certainly entitled to believe that no matter how wrong or bizarre it may be

let's be clear. i watched one of their two games this year and they have some good players and will probably be better then many are expecting

BUT

their top 6 is not in the upper half of the league, they just aren't at this point. take a look at the other teams and get back to me.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
they're undefeated on the year, I wouldn't call them down
Fear not, my friend.

Look at it this way, for a more detached view.

The teams Toronto has won against so far, Winnipeg I think they were a playoff team last season. The New York Rangers were a playoff team last season they won one round. Chicago was first in the conference last season. The Leafs managed to find a way to win those games.

New Jersey was a last place team last season.

The first three games, confirmed the Leafs offense, the forward depth, and improvement in the back with the new Swedes and Hainsey solidifying the top 4 D. Then they got a 4th liner driving the game. No one is going to take it easy on this team, they will be in the press box with Levio and Marincin just like that.

So yeah, I do not think the Devils have a chance.

In the Chicago game, Toronto came out strong. When that goal for Chicago went off Marner's stick, they lost momentum until the 2nd period basically. Scratched and clawed their way back.

New Jersey probably will not offer as much resistance as Chicago, they just do not have enough players.

Remember that thread where someone asked what the Leafs would start like the first 10 games. Time for the forum to revisit that thread. 4-0 after tomorrow night.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
well you are certainly entitled to believe that no matter how wrong or bizarre it may be

let's be clear. i watched one of their two games this year and they have some good players and will probably be better then many are expecting

BUT

their top 6 is not in the upper half of the league, they just aren't at this point. take a look at the other teams and get back to me.
At this point I guess not, I was more thinking by the end of the season once we see where hischier and zacha are at. The biggest thing holding them back will be their defense.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Think Nico is the real deal.....super impressed with him already.
f*** nico and f*** the devils.

You guys make me sick.

They're just another one of the 30 teams trying to take the cup away from us.

Bring the cup back home. To the dark side.

Reactions: Cotton

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Get out there and destroy their morale. Their team really isn't that good.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The Devils this year are a fast forechecking team with a great run-and-gun offense, they actually kinda remind me of the Leafs of last year. The problem is if they try and get into a shootout with the Leafs, it’s not gonna end well for them.

Reactions: Intact

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Toronto is in the 5-10 range.

New Jersey, despite a hot start, in the 18-23 range.

Having said that, the NHL is ridiculously evenly matched and this game could go either way.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Obviously, it's too early to mean a lot, but, last season, I was regularly posting the Special Team numbers; I'll try to keep it up again this season. Later, after a few more games, I'll add the home/away stats, as they can be (more for some teams) quite different.

..........SPECIAL TEAMS .......................

..................................PP...................PK

Leafs........................ 37.5% ......... 82.3%

Devils....................... 37.5% ......... 90.0%

Reactions: LeafsNation149

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I think we match up well against these Devils, but Andersen still has to be strong in net, as they have a couple of young snipers, and Schneider as mentioned can always steal a game.

So yeah, it IS a trap game . . . but I think we'll squeeze by on that 10 minute span we've had every game so far where we dominate and subdue the competition. Their goalie can definitely make this a close game though, so hopefully a full effort is there.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fear not, my friend.

Look at it this way, for a more detached view.

The teams Toronto has won against so far, Winnipeg I think they were a playoff team last season. The New York Rangers were a playoff team last season they won one round. Chicago was first in the conference last season. The Leafs managed to find a way to win those games.

New Jersey was a last place team last season.

The first three games, confirmed the Leafs offense, the forward depth, and improvement in the back with the new Swedes and Hainsey solidifying the top 4 D. Then they got a 4th liner driving the game. No one is going to take it easy on this team, they will be in the press box with Levio and Marincin just like that.

So yeah, I do not think the Devils have a chance.

In the Chicago game, Toronto came out strong. When that goal for Chicago went off Marner's stick, they lost momentum until the 2nd period basically. Scratched and clawed their way back.

New Jersey probably will not offer as much resistance as Chicago, they just do not have enough players.

Remember that thread where someone asked what the Leafs would start like the first 10 games. Time for the forum to revisit that thread. 4-0 after tomorrow night.

Our players better not be thinking like this or we're the ones that don't have a chance.

Toronto is in the 5-10 range.

New Jersey, despite a hot start, in the 18-23 range.

Having said that, the NHL is ridiculously evenly matched and this game could go either way.

QFT.

I really want to win this game tonight. Not because of the game itself, but because I want us to be 4-0 going into MTL Saturday night. I want to beat those guys real bad to make us 5-0, now that would be a statement.

I hope the players aren't looking ahead to MTL, but I'm just a fan so I'm entitled to do so. :)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our players better not be thinking like this or we're the ones that don't have a chance.

QFT.

I really want to win this game tonight. Not because of the game itself, but because I want us to be 4-0 going into MTL Saturday night. I want to beat those guys real bad to make us 5-0, now that would be a statement.

I hope the players aren't looking ahead to MTL, but I'm just a fan so I'm entitled to do so. :)

20-0-0 or bust

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Game day: New Jersey Devils at Toronto Maple Leafs

Rookies have had an impact on Devils' start.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...new-jersey-devils-at-toronto-maple-leafs.html

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Tues., Oct. 10, 2017

AIR CANADA CENTRE
Puck drop:
Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Sportsnet
Radio: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Bratt/Nylander
Jesper Bratt is one of several rookies who are making an early splash in New Jersey. He had three points in the club’s 6-2 win over Buffalo on Monday and had five points in his first five periods. A sixth-rounder (162nd overall) in 2016, Bratt is the lowest draft pick to make it to the NHL as a teenager in more than 20 years. William Nylander, meanwhile, has had some tough luck around the goal so far this season: he has had two goals disallowed, and narrowly missed another two chances Wednesday.
NEED TO KNOW
Nico Hischier
, the first overall pick in June, picked up his first point for the Devils against Buffalo, assisting on Brian Gibbons’ goal. And Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher had three assists in New Jersey’s opening win against Colorado. The Devils’ influx of rookies is reminiscent of last season’s Leafs, who had as many as eight on the active roster . . . Kyle Palmieri and Drew Stafford, who suffered lower body injuries in the opener, did not play Monday and are day to day.
UP NEXT
Saturday, at Montreal.

Game Day: Devils at Maple Leafs
By Terry Koshan, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:19 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:25 PM EDT

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/10/game-day-devils-at-maple-leafs

NEW JERSEY DEVILS at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Wednesday, 7:30 p.m., Air Canada Centre
TV: Sportsnet; Radio: 590 AM

FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME

Pedal to the metal
Once the Leafs found their footing against the Blackhawks on Monday, the forecheck was relentless, giving the Chicago blue-line group fits. It’s probable that Devils defencemen Andy Greene and Damon Severson will get the matchup with the Auston Matthews line, which could be cause for a long night for the New Jersey duo.

THE BIG MATCHUP
Nico Hischier vs. Auston Matthews
It’s an early showdown between Hischier, the No. 1 pick in 2017 by the Devils, and Matthews, the No. 1 pick in 2016 by the Maple Leafs. While it’s unlikely Hischier will have any shifts against Matthews, you can bet the 18-year-old native of Switzerland will put forth the effort to score his first NHL goal. “I feel like they are in the situation we were in last year,” Matthews said. “They drafted pretty well.”
SPECIAL TEAMS
LEAFS -- PP 37.5% (T-1st), PK 82.3% (18th)
DEVILS -- PP 37.5% (T-1st), PK 90.0% (T-8th)

SICK BAY
LEAFS -- D Connor Carrick (upper body).
DEVILS --F Drew Stafford (lower body), F Kyle Palmieri (lower body), C Travis Zajac (pectoral), C Brian Boyle (cancer).

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Whoa with the Devils being a contender, they've beat possibly the worst two teams in their respective conferences. I get parity, additions, but this team is still lotteryesque. Buffalo and Colorado aren't exactly good measures to make any assertions.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
How are you getting ready for Leafs game day?

I'm heading out to Price Chopper to get some nachos and salsa dip, because to win in this league you have to pay the price.

Reactions: slozo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad