GDT: Devils @ Leafs - 7pm - SN - The Rematch

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
What's more important resting your key guys OR home ice???????????? I'm curious what da facts say????????????????? To me Sammy, Rielly and Matty will decide da fate of this team this playoffs .. those 3 guys MUST be ready to fight for 4 rounds

Honestly, I want the 70 goals. Might be the best thing we get this year. Would also shut all the haters up.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I think I may be alone in this but I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of resting guys in the last games. It’s talked about more than ever before and I really don’t rember it really coming up before the Kawhi load management discussions. I think most players need to get into rhythms. Keeping players out inevitably leads to rust. Also switches them off mentally (“don’t try hard kid these games mean nothing”). Rather the team goes into the playoffs on a roll.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think I may be alone in this but I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of resting guys in the last games. It’s talked about more than ever before and I really don’t rember it really coming up before the Kawhi load management discussions. I think most players need to get into rhythms. Keeping players out inevitably leads to rust. Also switches them off mentally (“don’t try hard kid these games mean nothing”). Rather the team goes into the playoffs on a roll.
I kind of agree... unless it's a star player/ important player that has a nagging injury like if Mo needed a couple of games or something.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
people talk about resting but typically teams that go into the playoffs fighting for position or to actually make the playoffs tend to do better than teams that have nothing to play for going in, just my opinion though.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If Matthews could get like 4 goals that'd just be swell.

Mind you the superstitious part of me still wants him to score just 67 and stay there.

Reactions: saffronleaf

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Honestly, I want the 70 goals. Might be the best thing we get this year. Would also shut all the haters up.
I totally get it .. in makes da garbage time regular season games left more fun to watch for me at Scotia .. something for us upper decker's to cheer for .. but if he gets 70, hurts/tires himself out and we go out in 1st round again then we will all see less games at Scotia .. it is a tough issue .. I wonder what Matty thinks?????????????

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

kb

Aug 28, 2009
KB Fun (Sad) Fact of the Day:

The Toronto Maple Leafs - in their entire storied history - have never won more than 2 playoff rounds in a single season.

Only other 2 teams have not won at least 2 rounds (Columbus, Seattle), who have each maxed out at 1 playoff round win.

Yet the Leafs have the second most Cup wins with 13.

Let that sink in....

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Unless there is a nagging injury that would heal in the 5-7 days then I think I agree.

Certainly I think taking the last two games off is foolish and will lead to rust and losing some timing.

You see it in football and baseball a lot where a team has the bye for the first round and they come out flat.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
My thoughts exactly .. rest up Matty and Rielly so they don't play in Florida .. i think I would do it even if Matty at 69 but he may choose to play to get 70 .. it is a tough one .. i don't care about 70 so i would encourage him to shut it down as if he lose him then we are finished in playoffs

I care a little but I care far more about playoffs and I’m sure Matthews does too.

Amazing news.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It's one game, maybe 2 for some in the last 5 games.. We finish the season on a back to back against TBL and Florida. Really no point in playing everyone in those last few games. And you don't have to sit all of them in those 2 games, just keep rotating players. It's beneficial to rest because after that it's a lot of games and a lot of grinding. There's not going to be much rust of anything missing 1 or 2 games.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
It's one game, maybe 2 for some in the last 5 games.. We finish the season on a back to back against TBL and Florida. Really no point in playing everyone in both those games there if there are no stakes. And you don't have to sit all of them in those 2 games, just keep rotating players. It's beneficial to rest because after that it's a lot of games and a lot of grinding. There's not going to be much rust of anything missing 1 or 2 games.
I get the rationale but I just don’t remember it being a real discussion in earlier years. I just don’t think players can flick a switch and go from ‘games don’t matter’ to ‘game on’ as easy as people make it out to be. Make it the goal to win every game you can. This team’s biggest problem is in their heads, I want a killer mentality not “watch out boys we might get hurt or tired!”.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I get the rationale but I just don’t remember it being a real discussion in earlier years. I just don’t think players can flick a switch and go from ‘games don’t matter’ to ‘game on’ as easy as people make it out to be. Make it the goal to win every game you can. This team’s biggest problem is in their heads, I want a killer mentality not “watch out boys we might get hurt or tired!”.

It's been a discussion for a long time and sports has evolved quite a bit. It really isn't about flipping a switch or being scared of being hurt or tired, mostly playing your depth a little more and keeping as many players as fresh as possible. Matthews was playing insane minutes for awhile, same for McCabe and Rielly. Playing 1 less game down the stretch isn't going to make or break their ability to do well in the playoffs or set in big time rust.

I'm not sure having a killer instinct in game 80 is really going to make a difference game 1 of the playoffs. Most other teams will be doing this a lot. Edmonton is already resting McDavid (minor injury), Panthers have been sitting out their D, etc.

Reactions: torontoblood

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
It's been a discussion for a long time and sports has evolved quite a bit. It really isn't about flipping a switch or being scared of being hurt or tired, mostly playing your depth a little more and keeping as many players as fresh as possible. Matthews was playing insane minutes for awhile, same for McCabe and Rielly. Playing 1 less game down the stretch isn't going to make or break their ability to do well in the playoffs or set in big time rust.

I'm not sure having a killer instinct in game 80 is really going to make a difference game 1 of the playoffs. Most other teams will be doing this a lot. Edmonton is already resting McDavid (minor injury), Panthers have been sitting out their D, etc.
Yeah I get it, what you say makes sense. But flip side is will one game rest really make a difference? Different story if they are injured and want to heal up. I think the Leafs and players owe it to the fans and the game to try as hard as you can every single game. Even on my kids sports team if they’re losing by 5 you want them keep trying. I get it may seem a bit silly but easing up as you get close to the finish line is a bigger deal than you make it out to be. It sets the tone of “let’s just get to the finish healthy” rather than let’s storm into the playoffs playing like we already think they’ve started. Especially against teams like in our last 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad