GDT: Devils @ Leafs - 7pm - SN - The Rematch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed, prioritize the playoffs, those goals are amazing but we already know he's capable of hitting 70. We need to leave a ton of gas in the tank for later. Can't waste gas in this economy

Let him get whatever he can get to.

If he gets injured, he gets injured, you can't predict what will happen.

Look at Tavares 1st. game of playoffs and gets kicked in the head and is done after playing less than 3 minutes.

Leafs are not a favorite to win, but 70 goals is a lifetime achievement, and while you hear people say he can do it next year, Ovechkin's career high is what 65?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Tavares is the guy that needs the rest the most. You can dial Matty and Rielly's ice time down. Anybody missing the Florida games will not have played in a week going into game #1. Rust vs rest.
Assuming we start on Saturday night regardless if on the road or at home...

I would be resting Tavares after the game on Saturday. He is better when fresh, we can all see it. No reason for him to play in Florida.

Rielly has not played a ton of games, but wouldn't mind if he missed one of the two next week, coaches choice, but there should be room since we have 2 injured D that need to play both games next week to shake the aforementioned rust off.

Matthews looks the best he ever has, I think because he is away from Marner and has to be the man on his line every shift. Incredible difference in how he is playing. That being said, regardless of the 70, I would not play him in Tampa and if he happened to get 70 Saturday I would not play him in either.

Assuming Calle needs as many games as possible if he is ready to go, means someone else gets a rest. I would suggest Knies, who has been better of late (better matchups?)

We also have Gregor and Reaves who should see games.

If the coaches know what their game 1 lineup looks like, then the games next week should reflect that rest wise.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The Auston Matthews/70 watch continues.

In a perfect world he'd get 4 tonight and we could all rest easy knowing he won't be playing in Florida. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world so 2 would be nice. And please no injuries.
Devils have officially been eliminated, Hughes has been shut down for the rest year, they're generally a poor defensive team and they're goaltending has been bad all year.

If he's going to have a big night in the push for 70, tonight is a good opportunity for it.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The reality on this situation is simple... we have more players who deserve to be in the lineup, than there are spots. My hope, is that we use a rotation, to keep players fresh, and hungry in the playoffs... everyone should be playing...
A really good coach would be able to take advantage of the depth to throw multiple looks / styles at the opposition to keep them off balance.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tavares is the guy that needs the rest the most. You can dial Matty and Rielly's ice time down. Anybody missing the Florida games will not have played in a week going into game #1. Rust vs rest.
Yes forget about old man JT .. i don't think he will be much of a factor as 3rd line C .. once series starts everyone will see he can't play line 2 anymore .. he will cost team unless moved to 3rd line

Does Rielly need rest or to get back in shape?

He hasn't looked great, but is it rust or health?

Missed 4 games, so maybe it is injury. Skating looks off.
Good question .. if he doesn't play like last spring in playoffs we are TOAST .. that was best hockey I have ever seen him play ever .. we need his 1D game .. please please please captain Morgan

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Honestly give Mccabe the rest of the week off. He has been an absolute warrior. Let him heal up a bit before the playoffs. I wouldn't mind resting up Tavares and Brodie as well. Both getting long in the tooth, and Brodie has been quite good since he was healthy and scratched for two games.

Lastly, I'd like to see Jones get in a game at some point. Just so that he gets a bit of action before the playoffs. With the injury history of both Sammy and Woll, we could need him and he really hasn't played in the past two months.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Magic point number for finishing ahead of TBL is 3 if I'm not missing anything. Could wrap up tonight if things break right.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Honestly give Mccabe the rest of the week off. He has been an absolute warrior. Let him heal up a bit before the playoffs. I wouldn't mind resting up Tavares and Brodie as well. Both getting long in the tooth, and Brodie has been quite good since he was healthy and scratched for two games.

Lastly, I'd like to see Jones get in a game at some point. Just so that he gets a bit of action before the playoffs. With the injury history of both Sammy and Woll, we could need him and he really hasn't played in the past two months.
A good thing about the D is that the goalies will be less likely to get run this year.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Honestly, Jake McCabe is so important to this team, if he's battling bumps and bruises just sit him until the playoffs

We have enough depth on defense to carry us for the final 4 games
Rielly needs to play like last spring .. Boosh McCabe Ed and Benoit all need to play tough and make sure our tenders see all pucks .. only real issue left is who is da 6th D man??????? .. Gio is horrible now but has most vet experience .. Lily has been very poor against hard forechecking playoff teams .. and Brodie, while a little better since his benching, has been awful this year .. i hear that Keefer is gonna go with Brodie .. to me i would give Lily rope for game 1 but I don't think he gonna see da ice .. should be a very interesting call between Shanny Tre and Keefer

Reactions: TMLife17

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I'd rest Nylander, Brodie, McCabe, Bertuzzi throughout the next week. Ask JT how he's feeling and give him a game off accordingly

Marner should play as he needs to get into a rhythm before playoffs. Matthews is playing the best hockey of his career so sitting him is risky, maybe one game at most

Rielly's been out enough games that I'd just play him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad