Devils goalie dissection thread

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Discuss all things about Devils goaltending (particularly Cory and KK) or goaltending philosophy in general here. Given recent events and the fact this discussion isn't going away anytime soon it's really time to keep all of this in its own thread, minus the usual GDT bickering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
#Freetheshootertutor

Just wanted that to be the first post in this thread!:laugh:

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
tenor.gif

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Darling is worse than he's shown this year. I don't understand how he has an .885% and not an .850%. That .885% is flattering. I think plain luck is the reason that he has an .885% and not an .850%. Because it's almost impossible for a goalie to have an .850% over 40 games played. Even if you took a high school goalie and played him in the NHL in 40 games, he might struggle to maintain an .850% or lower for that many games.

Trust me, I have went out of my way to watch Darling's highlights most games after Canes fans accused me of stat watching with Ward in past year, so I went and watched both this year and Ward is lousy, but 50% of the goals Darling allows are at least stoppable. 4 of the 7 from last game, he allowed 4 stoppable goals out of 5 against us last month. I've seen him play games where he allows 4 goals and all 4 were stoppable and they lose the 4-3

Now maybe Darling isn't as bad as he's been this year? But he's been as bad, if not worse than those numbers. Ask any Canes fans, they're saying the same thing on the mainboard. He doesn't have any athleticism at all. He looks like an out of shape oaf, to be perfectly honest with you. He has a lot of trouble getting over to the other post. He looks like conditioning is not where it needs to be and maybe that's exactly what it is this year and a weight loss/conditioning plan helps him? Whatever the case, I want nothing to do with him.

No to Mrazek, he's worse than Kinkaid. Don't let DD fool you on that one.
Bernier? Decent option.
I like Lehner, I think he's pretty good. Outside of this year he's had a very good tenure on a very bad Buffalo team.
Halak? He's probably good enough to be a backup. Is he better than Kinkaid at this stage? I don't think so. It's a toss up.
Raanta? Yes, if he's available.

I meant to say "and here goes the Bleed dissection post" at the end, but forgot.

So I'm going to continue this here. I'm not disagreeing from what I've seen on Darling. It seems like he's been doing a horrendous job of reading the play so either that's something that he's struggled with for a while or his confidence is just shattered. We're seeing the same right now of Schneider getting beat on similar goals scored on Darling.

I still think his size combined with his puck handling ability is an interesting package. It's extremely risky, but I could see Carolina looking to trade him for nothing at this point or even pay to get rid of him. If he can come back and work on his game a bit, I could see him turning it around. Maybe with the new owner flush with cash, they may buy him out, but I'm skeptical on that too.

I say the same thing for Mrazek as for Darling, but as the skill level increases immensely by the year, his small stature worries me. I didn't add it in there, but Lehner's demeanor and Lundqvist-like outbursts against his teammates scares me off from him a bit, but I do think he's a strong tandem option. Bernier or Halak would make sense to me if someone offers a deal you can't pass up for Kinkaid, but otherwise I agree with you on those guys.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I know Jim is joking (maybe) but I still very much believe MacBlack is our future starter. That may be a few more years though.

I'm conflicted as to what to do in the immediate future. I love Cory but his struggles can't be understated. Is Kinkiad a legit 1b guy? I don't know. I've said for a while I think he has starters potential but the more the years went by the less inclined I was to believe that to be true, maybe he's turning the corner?

This should be an interesting off-season. I don't know how much Shero can actually do but I have to believe he notices the goalie problem, that the team is trending upwards and needs a solid starter to start competing.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Even when he loses his angle or finds himself out of position, he has an active stick and the natural reflexes to deny opportunities. Something one of our goaltenders has sorely lacked in recent games.

Very cap friendly too, works hard for three hots and a cot

...and rawhide bonuses

Reactions: TheFacePainter

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't envy Shero trying to assess his goaltending situation. I don't think Cory is this bad, just like I don't think Kinkaid is this good. Given Cory's play outside of the first 28 games this season and his contract, I don't think he could move him even if he wanted to. So assuming Cory will be back, do you roll the dice on Kinkaid being able to repeat this in a 1A/1B type situation if Cory doesn't bounce back? If it doesn't work then we're basically Carolina, minus the strong young defense corps but probably with a better offense.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I know Jim is joking (maybe) but I still very much believe MacBlack is our future starter. That may be a few more years though.

I'm conflicted as to what to do in the immediate future. I love Cory but his struggles can't be understated. Is Kinkiad a legit 1b guy? I don't know. I've said for a while I think he has starters potential but the more the years went by the less inclined I was to believe that to be true, maybe he's turning the corner?

This should be an interesting off-season. I don't know how much Shero can actually do but I have to believe he notices the goalie problem, that the team is trending upwards and needs a solid starter to start competing.

no idea about blackwood, but i read a surprisingly high amount of good things about cormier (of all people) this week. so there's that

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
no idea about blackwood, but i read a surprisingly high amount of good things about cormier (of all people) this week. so there's that

Cormier has made some improvements for sure. I dont think it would hurt to keep spending some late picks on goalies, they are so unpredictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad