Devils goalie dissection thread

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Since becoming the starter this season Kinkaid is

12-6-0
.920 save %
2.61 GAA

He's definitely not playing out of this world but he's a different goalie than he was in the beginning of the season. Definitely has some swagger. I could see him playing 40-50 games and being around the .910-.915 mark. Around .920 if he has a career year and the Devils defense is improved. Perfectly suitable for a 1b and better than every other option not named Raanta.

Reactions: BurntToast

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Let's just hope for everybody's sake he maintains that swagger the rest of the way. The way things are going lately I'm worried he's going to regress and then we're completely f***ed.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I'm the opposite. He seems to be a big game goalie with something to prove. The only thing that will knock him off the course is bad luck and if Severson got 25 mins a night.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Also, love this article about Keith. He seems humble and extremely likeable...

LI’s Kinkaid took a long, winding road to Devils

This quote says a lot. Kinkaid knows he needs to step up.

“I looked at how [Antti] Raanta and [Cam] Talbot got their opportunities,” Kinkaid said of the former Rangers backup goalies, who now start for the Coyotes and Oilers, respectively. “I hadn’t really gotten my break until this season. You never want to see your partner go down. At the same time, I’ve learned a lot about myself. I feel I can do it. All I need is an opportunity.”

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm the opposite. He seems to be a big game goalie with something to prove. The only thing that will knock him off the course is bad luck and if Severson got 25 mins a night.

It just seems unlikely he's found another level to his game at this point in his career. I'd love to be wrong and have him stay on this run into the playoffs and beyond.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Keith seems like a great guy, I'd love if he could continue this streak long term. His style is also so unorthodox, it's fun to watch.
It's only "unorthodox" bc he plays the hybrid style... same style brodeur played (shouldn't really be a shock since brodeur was has idol growing up)

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I noticed he's doing a lot more Brodeur twitches as of late. Shaking the blocker down, head twitch, and etc. Seems to be a reflection of his confidence.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
It just seems unlikely he's found another level to his game at this point in his career. I'd love to be wrong and have him stay on this run into the playoffs and beyond.
The guys playing for a chance to.make the next step in the Nhl and be a starter. I continue to believe he will get there and become a starter.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I noticed he's doing a lot more Brodeur twitches as of late. Shaking the blocker down, head twitch, and etc. Seems to be a reflection of his confidence.
It is... most goalies have their own subtle differences that they do when they are "on" or playing with a higher level of confidence.

I've also noticed (and more of a personal experience), that when you're in a rough patch, slump and are lacking confidence you usually stand very still, almost like your focusing too hard to not mess up, and don't make any "twitches".

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Depending on how things shake out the rest of the way (How Kinkaid plays the rest of the way, what the team decides to do with Schneider, whether it be bury/trade/ride it out with him and hope he improves) I wouldnt mind going after an Anti Raanta guy so we can have a 1A 1B type setup where the starters split starts. Though I am not sure if Raanta would sign here, I think it would be a good idea to pursue him depending on how the rest of the season goes.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Perfectly fine going Kink and Cory next year.

A)I have decent confidence that Cory rebounds.

B)I think Kink has shown himself a pretty capable backup, one that can step in when the starter goes down.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Perfectly fine going Kink and Cory next year.

A)I have decent confidence that Cory rebounds.

B)I think Kink has shown himself a pretty capable backup, one that can step in when the starter goes down.
It’s been 100 games just about. I don’t have any confidence that he rebounds anymore. I did after last season, but this is now a trend.

Did anybody think Marty was gonna rebound after 2012? He had similar numbers over the two years and 100+ games. Other than the fact that he was 40 years old and a million miles on the odometer, I don’t see what makes current Cory more prone to bouncing back. Just the fact that he’s a younger man, that’s basically it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It’s been 100 games just about. I don’t have any confidence that he rebounds anymore. I did after last season, but this is now a trend.

Did anybody think Marty was gonna rebound after 2012? He had similar numbers over the two years and 100+ games. Other than the fact that he was 40 years old and a million miles on the odometer, I don’t see what makes current Cory more prone to bouncing back. Just the fact that he’s a younger man, that’s basically it.
That is a big difference is it not.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I think in order for Cory to get back to .920+ the Devils defense needs to be much bigger and stronger around the crease. Which really conflicts with the direction this team is heading. Personally, thats why I think Kinkaid is a better fit. Devils need a goalie who can deflect pucks to the corner and who have superior rebound control.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That is a big difference is it not.
Only because of age.

The list of goalies to bounce after two seasons like this isn’t a long one. Only Rinne out of current goalies. Others have done so in backup roles. Howard had a good year last season after 3 straight mediocre seasons, but he only played 25 games last year. Now he’s returned back to what he’s been the last 5 years, with the exception of last year.

And it all depends on what you think rebounding is. A .915% guy? That’s certainly more plausible. .920%? Maybe one random season again, but I don’t see it consistently happening after this year.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I can see this tandem being around .915 over 70+ games. I think they've both has some uncharacteristically bad stretches this season. The Devils D has also just broke down and looked miserable at multiple times. As the whole team gets stronger the save % will kick back up. Lets see what happens in the last 9 games and then argue infinitely in the postseason or offseason. Either way this debate/discussion is not going away anytime soon. Probably at it's infancy given recent developments.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Only because of age.

The list of goalies to bounce after two seasons like this isn’t a long one. Only Rinne out of current goalies. Others have done so in backup roles. Howard had a good year last season after 3 straight mediocre seasons, but he only played 25 games last year. Now he’s returned back to what he’s been the last 5 years, with the exception of last year.

And it all depends on what you think rebounding is. A .915% guy? That’s certainly more plausible. .920%? Maybe one random season again, but I don’t see it consistently happening after this year.

Honestly idc what his "stats" show, the weak goals will continue and imo that's a bigger issue then a .915, .920 or .980 sv%

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Cory was fine the first half of the season. He should bounce back. No idea what the hell happened in 2018

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Not sure if Cory will or not but we REALLY need him to bounce back. It’s going to be really tough having him here if he’s horrid

Reactions: mtnet

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Cory was fine the first half of the season. He should bounce back. No idea what the hell happened in 2018

That's why I'm not writing him off yet. If this entire season was just a continuation of last year for him, I'd say he's probably done. I don't know if he'll ever be what he was his first few years with us, but I think he could still at least be an above average guy you can make the playoffs with.

Probably not this year anymore as his confidence looks completely shot. But give him an offseason to refocus and recharge, maybe make some adjustments to his game, and see what happens. Besides, what are you going to get for him at this point anyway? We almost have no choice but to hold on to him and hope he rebounds.

The question to me is do you trust Kinkaid enough in case Cory doesn't rebound to be a starter or 1B type next year? Or do you try to go after somebody with a more consistent track record that could be that type of goalie?

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
He was bailed out many times by our offense early this seaso, so it hid many of the horrible goals (also helped bail kk out during the start of his slump)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He was bailed out many times by our offense early this seaso, so it hid many of the horrible goals (also helped bail kk out during the start of his slump)

that just isn't true

he was playing dominant hockey for a couple weeks before he got hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad