Half-Assed GDT: Devils @ Blues 7pm CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I knew we were gonna lose this game from the start, so I’m really not even that mad.

It’s not because of Binner starting, but do you guys remember pre-COVID when the NHL legitimately had to change the post-ASG bye week a year into the agreement to have them? Teams coming off their break would get absolutely SMOKED by the others who had already played, or not had theirs yet.

Well, NJ had played multiple games since the ASG, so it was just simple logic to me.

It makes a lot of sense. They played with an intensity the Blues just couldn't match. Right from the get-go, the Blues looked off and were making bad passes, losing the puck and I commented it looked like they were hungover or something. It's just a shame because it seemed like we had righted the ship by the end of the 2nd period, but then they went right back into crap mode in the 3rd.

And anyone trying to blame Binner for this loss is clearly just pushing an agenda. While Binner has been subpar lately, I don't think that Husso or Patrick Roy in his prime would have won this game for us. We gave up far too many grade A chances and let the Devils just walk right in and attack the net from in close. When the only guys to play well are your 4th line, you probably won't win too many games.

Ah well, take out the frustration on the Hawks Saturday.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Perron has not been very good. I wonder why he is getting more ice time than Kyrou. 15min for Kyrou is not enough IMO. He should be getting 1st PP the way he has played.

Reactions: Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Don't tell that to the fans on Twitter complaining about Bozak being scratched.

I commented recently that I wouldn't bench Bozak in favor of Joshua/Brown but it sure worked out last night. The 4th line was clearly our best one, though Kostin and Sunny made more of an impact than Joshua did. At least he was banging bodies and forechecking well. Did anyone else notice that we outhit NJ 25-4 last night? Not that it mattered much.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
From Lou

Since the Winter Classic, Binnington is 2-4-0 with an alarming 5.04 goals-against average and .862 save percentage; he's allowed three or more goals in 12 of his past 15 games and his 3.35 GAA this season ranks 31st among goalies with 20 or more starts and his ..898 save percentage ranks 25th.

Puck Luck

Jan 13, 2021
Minor point, but the current Blues D is NOT faster than that of the cup-winning D. Jaybo, even at his age could skate circles around any of our current defensemen. Dunn is faster than any one of our D, with the possible exception of Parayko. (And that is debatable) Pietrangelo is a fine skater and is comparable to most of our D outside of Parayko and maybe Mikkola. Even Edmundson was a good skater for his size.
Our current group might have the edge in terms of puck skills, and you may even be able to make a case for it being better in transition. But they are not faster.
...ok. you've highlighted one meaning of "faster" and some eye-test evidence that some of those players from the previous era may have been faster skaters than some of the current players. Point taken.

I only meant to point out that this defense was intentionally and fundamentally built differently compared to the cup winning team, skating speed notwithstanding

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
...ok. you've highlighted one meaning of "faster" and some eye-test evidence that some of those players from the previous era may have been faster skaters than some of the current players. Point taken.

I only meant to point out that this defense was intentionally and fundamentally built differently compared to the cup winning team, skating speed notwithstanding
Good point, well stated.

Reactions: Puck Luck

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
From Lou

Since the Winter Classic, Binnington is 2-4-0 with an alarming 5.04 goals-against average and .862 save percentage; he's allowed three or more goals in 12 of his past 15 games and his 3.35 GAA this season ranks 31st among goalies with 20 or more starts and his ..898 save percentage ranks 25th.
"still not Binner's fault"
-Blues fans on the internet.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
"still not Binner's fault"
-Blues fans on the internet.

He may have cost us a few wins at some point, but Thursday's game wasn't on him. Criticism when deserved is fine, but piling on just for the sake of it is annoying. It's a team game, putting it all on one guy is asinine.

Regardless, teammates and coaches don't throw a guy under the bus as quickly as fans do...especially a guy who is a huge part of our first Cup. And that's why they're just fans.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This breaking into two camps of "Blame Binnington and absolve the team" or "Blame the team and absolve Binnington" is ridiculous. 2 things can be true. Binnington has been bad AND the team has done him no favors with their play in front of him. Why is that concept so hard to grasp?

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
This breaking into two camps of "Blame Binnington and absolve the team" or "Blame the team and absolve Binnington" is ridiculous. 2 things can be true. Binnington has been bad AND the team has done him no favors with their play in front of him. Why is that concept so hard to grasp?

I know I probably fall into your category of defending Binnington but I don't see myself as defending Binnington so much as just not dog piling him while everyone is doing such a great job of shitting on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad