Speculation: Devils at the Trade Deadline

What do you think Fitz is going to do at the trade deadline?

• Total voters

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
No, this is what STI was doing where he was looking at one trade in a vacuum and making a declaration. If you look at the history of these sorts of players being dealt, it just isn't for a lot and the return usually looks like this. Yes, Zacha has a few more points, he plays with Nico Hischier and got some PP1 time both years. If a team scouts him at all they will see the warts we see - turnovers at his own blueline, failure to win enough puck battles, etc.

Bennett looked like a big overpay at the time given his history but somehow he immediately became a 40 goal scorer, who knew
Zacha’s actually looked a lot better lately and he has the physical tools and skills to be really good. Teams will see that as well as his recent point production and the value he brings in could be higher than you think.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The problem is Zacha "looks a lot better lately" all the time, then disappears. The fact that we're still saying things like "his compete needs to be better" or "he needs to assert himself more" about a player who is in his 6th year in the league and playing regularly with the best linemates he's ever had doesn't speak highly of him ever putting it all together consistently. Now that isn't to say he sucks or is useless, since apparently there is no in between for some from being either the greatest thing since sliced bread or complete dogshit. He's a perfectly capable middle six forward with enough versatility to be a useful player. He's probably not a guy you want to pencil in as a regular top 6 winger moving forward, but he's also not some plug we just need to get rid of. I certainly wouldn't want to give him a 4+ year contract, but if they can keep him around as an affordable middle 6 winger for a few years, that's fine. Although I kind of feel it might be best for both sides to move him and let him get a fresh start somewhere else.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I can see Zacha getting the interest of a team that saw Bennett turn things around in a huge way after he was basically banished by Flames or the stellar play of Reinhart the second he got moved from Buffalo.

I’m not saying we’ll definitely get a 1st for him but let’s just say I wouldn’t be floored if we do.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I can see Zacha getting the interest of a team that saw Bennett turn things around in a huge way after he was basically banished by Flames or the stellar play of Reinhart the second he got moved from Buffalo.

I’m not saying we’ll definitely get a 1st for him but let’s just say I wouldn’t be floored if we do.
Bennett had intangibles that Zacha lacked, he was a monster in the playoffs both in terms of production and physical play.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Knight might be available.
I make a very aggressive offer if I’m Fitz.
Knight isn’t really being shopped but is available for the right move. Apparently he is part of a package offered for Chychrun.
Can’t see them trading him unless it’s for a piece as valuable as Chychrun would be for a cup run.
Hopefully Chychrun goes somewhere else and Panthers get desperate to add a D (Severson) .
Not to get too greedy but Tippet and Knight would be deadly. I don’t know enough about Tippets overall game though to,know if he is a good fit or not. I just know he was a high pick and a very good prospect at one time.
I don’t see them trading Knight but if he’s potentially in a package deal for Chychrun that doesn’t mean he’s available in any deal with us.

Chychrun’s value is from his age (23) and contract, he has 3 years/4.6m left after this. Severson’s one year at 4.1m isn’t comparable.

Cost control is the key, unsigned guys aren’t as valuable and they wouldn’t have much interest futures.

In theory, a 3-way deal could happen but it has to make sense where the other team wouldn’t just take Knight.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
as boring as it sounds, they most likely don't trade anybody.

adding a low pick for vesey or a retained subban is of lesser value, than using the current upswing to build some momentum for the future.

Reactions: CFuse46 and My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The problem is Zacha "looks a lot better lately" all the time, then disappears. The fact that we're still saying things like "his compete needs to be better" or "he needs to assert himself more" about a player who is in his 6th year in the league and playing regularly with the best linemates he's ever had doesn't speak highly of him ever putting it all together consistently. Now that isn't to say he sucks or is useless, since apparently there is no in between for some from being either the greatest thing since sliced bread or complete dogshit. He's a perfectly capable middle six forward with enough versatility to be a useful player. He's probably not a guy you want to pencil in as a regular top 6 winger moving forward, but he's also not some plug we just need to get rid of. I certainly wouldn't want to give him a 4+ year contract, but if they can keep him around as an affordable middle 6 winger for a few years, that's fine. Although I kind of feel it might be best for both sides to move him and let him get a fresh start somewhere else.

If Pavs turns into a bottom 6 winger and fills into the top 6 if injuries happen or a spot game like say what Johnsson did v NYR, I’d be totally fine with that. He might be a sunk cost at this point to where unless the Devils can put him in a package for a good return it might just be best to keep around for depth in the bottom 6 considering there’s where forwards are lacking currently.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
People are naturally subjective, but let's have a look at GM Tom Fitzgerald's deadline trade history:

2/20: got a 2nd round pick for Andy Greene, which was a win for both teams.

2/20: turned Blake Coleman into Nolan Foote and Shakir Mukhamadullin, which was a huge win for both teams.

2/20: got a 5th for Wayne Simmonds, which was a won trade, but the Devils made a questionable pick of Topias Vilen with the 5th rounder. We'll call this one a meh-meh deal, since nothing of value was gotten by anyone.

2/20: turned the shell of what was once Sami Vatanen into a functional bottom-6 winger in Janne Kuokkanen and a 3rd round pick which turned into Nico Daws, who looks like he could be something really nice between the pipes. Huge win for the Devils here.

4/21: trades Palmieri and a soon-to-retire Zajac for a pair of AHL-ers and a 1st round pick. Palmieri and Zajac are integral in an Islanders playoff run which drops the pick from #20 to #29 overall in a thin 2021 draft. Devils lose out on some big talent in the 20-29 range but still get a the best pick of the final 5 2021 first-rounders in Chase Stillman. Win for both teams.

4/21: acquires Jonas Siegenthaler from Washington for a 3rd round pick. Siegenthaler now looks like one of the better shut-down defenders in the NHL. Just a tremendous win for the Devils.

4/21: trades Kulikov to Edmonton for a 4th round pick in 2022. I was hoping Devils would get more, but Kulikov was a UFA. We'll see how it goes with the pick. Another meh-meh deal.

I think we can say Fitzgerald has yet to lose a deadline deal, and he's won several. We can say with confidence he is very good at trading.

As such, I feel confident the Devils will get a passable return for Subban -- I would not be shocked by a 3rd round pick with some creative salary maneuvering. I feel Tatar is also a strong candidate to be dealt -- he was a bit of a desperation signing, but his contract is short and manageable and a team seeking scoring depth might be willing to give up a 3rd/4th rounder for him. A team seeking bottom 6 depth might give up a 5th or 6th round pick for Vesey, which is fine.

The big names here are Severson and Zacha. I do not feel the Devils trade Severson unless they are overwhelmed by a big trade offer. If Toronto offers a first round pick? Then the answer is no. But if Toronto offers a first-round pick, a third-round pick and top LW prospect Matthew Knies? Then yes, I think the Devils would be wise to pull the trigger.

It's tough to bring up Zacha on these threads because he has become so triggering for the analytic set that people lose track of his true value. He's a player who paced for 28 goals last year and is pacing for over 20 this year, he's 6'3 and fast with a huge shot, he's young and making a fraction of what most NHL goal-scorers earn with just north of $2 million per year. His trade value is quite significant. All the rumors have focused on Vancouver, but several teams are looking for secondary scoring, and Zacha represents perhaps the best bargain on the market, and the only player on the market whose "change-of-scenery" upside might eventually even outshine his value right now. I feel Fitzgerald will get a first round pick or comparable prospect for Zacha, or at the very least a 2nd rounder and a good prospect.
tml fans would be disappointed if knies doesn't return jack and bratt ++.

i am interested in your opinion regarding graves. lhd has quickly become a position of strength. smith got relegated to third line. siegs/severson had some huge games in the absence of hamilton. if a team offers a first for graves, should the devils move him.

2nd (#61) and maltsev for a pick in the twenties, would be a good profit.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
whoever wants him take him please
so what's the plan, if the devils trade blackwood. daws and schmid shouldn't be counted on. they need more time to develop their game. bernier most likely wouldn't make it through the first month as a full time starter. and gillies ... i rather don't think about this option.

blackwood is by far the best guess for the devils starting goalie next season. trading him would make the question mark between the pipes just a lot bigger. i fully support to look for another goalie in free agency and/or via trade. but unless they have a clear upgrade over blackwood on the roster, trading him is like punting with 1 and 10. shall we already look at the potential lottery selections in the 2023 draft.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Injured goalie that was playing very poorly at the time he went on IR. Yeah, this makes no sense.

I think they just have to fill out a list with 40 names because it's a nice round number, even if there aren't that number of guys actually on the block. We're also expected to be sellers at the deadline because of our position in the standings, even though we don't have many expiring contracts.

Put those together and it explains why they're putting Blackwood on there as trade bait even when it doesn't make sense.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Bennett had intangibles that Zacha lacked, he was a monster in the playoffs both in terms of production and physical play.

Bennett was relegated to the 4th line and healthy scratched several times.

Zacha has been leading this team in goals for a while now, despite the emergence of Bratt and Hughes who some label superstar talent.

This constant knocking of Pavel Zacha is foolish and he has the skills to make some regret their perpetual hate of a guy who just didn’t live up to his draft standing.

He’s been playing great in the last 10 or so games and consistency is probably his biggest flaw but we shouldn’t sell him for pennies on the dollar just because.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Zacha has been leading this team in goals for a while now, despite the emergence of Bratt and Hughes who some label superstar talent.

I mean, not this season. He’s 6th on the team in goals scored.

Guys who aren’t considered goal scorers have more goals by a decent margin.

Zacha has 2 more goals than Johnsson and 3 more than Tatar and they’re, the vocal consensus believes, having poor seasons.

Zacha has a career average if 15 goals a season, not a strong number of goal scoring is your calling card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triumph

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
so what's the plan, if the devils trade blackwood. daws and schmid shouldn't be counted on. they need more time to develop their game. bernier most likely wouldn't make it through the first month as a full time starter. and gillies ... i rather don't think about this option.

blackwood is by far the best guess for the devils starting goalie next season. trading him would make the question mark between the pipes just a lot bigger. i fully support to look for another goalie in free agency and/or via trade. but unless they have a clear upgrade over blackwood on the roster, trading him is like punting with 1 and 10. shall we already look at the potential lottery selections in the 2023 draft.

plan is to bring someone else in via trade or ufa. blackwood isn't the answer this team needs anyway so just giving him the starters job by default because hes the best out of a bad group isn't a ringing endorsement of his ability. hes fine as a backup but he can't be counted on to be a work horse

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Can only really see Vesey and Subban right now. Moving Severson right now would be pretty deflating to the roster with the momentum they've been building on and you're in a limited market trying to make a hockey trade at the deadline for Zacha. In order to make room for Holtz, I think you're better off moving Zacha, Johnsson, or Tatar in the offseason for a defender who will babysit Ty Smith for a year or two while Bahl, Okhotiuk, etc. continue to develop. Get some picks at the deadline and acquire another goalie in the offseason via trade as well.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I went with Subban, Vesey and Zacha first 2 will be dealt for whatever they can get and Zacha goes in a hockey trade for someone like Tippitt in FLA

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Bennett was relegated to the 4th line and healthy scratched several times.

This constant knocking of Pavel Zacha is foolish and he has the skills to make some regret their perpetual hate of a guy who just didn’t live up to his draft standing.

He’s been playing great in the last 10 or so games and consistency is probably his biggest flaw but we shouldn’t sell him for pennies on the dollar just because.

He has not been playing great in the last 10 games or so. He's been recording assists and that's what you think playing great is.

Bratt and Hughes are superstar talent, it's obvious for anyone to see now.

Reactions: glenwo2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad