Speculation: Devils at the Trade Deadline

What do you think Fitz is going to do at the trade deadline?

• Total voters

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
PK Subban won’t be on our team past the deadline, his salary or his cap hit won’t interfere in any way.

Both issues are prorated and when he’ll get moved, we’ll be a little less than 3/4 into the season meaning it’ll be much easier for any team wanting to acquire him, to make him fit cap wise. We can also retain some of it and have a third party do the same.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i really do think we can swap out PK (50% retained) for another teams bad contract winger. I mentioned it already, but if the ducks retain a little on Henrique and make it work, i'd take him. maybe even lucic? but if we can sub subban for a 3rd liner, that'd be ideal

Reactions: My3Sons

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
i really do think we can swap out PK (50% retained) for another teams bad contract winger. I mentioned it already, but if the ducks retain a little on Henrique and make it work, i'd take him. maybe even lucic? but if we can sub subban for a 3rd liner, that'd be ideal
Devils really do not have the cap space to take back bad contracts. They also do not need any more mediocre/question mark Fs. I would rather just keep Subban to the end of the year and get nothing for him.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Devils really do not have the cap space to take back bad contracts. They also do not need any more mediocre/question mark Fs. I would rather just keep Subban to the end of the year and get nothing for him.
i mean henrique for 5.825 for 2 more years isn't THAT bad. and if ducks retain 50, it's cheaper than getting a free agent of similar impact

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

they could likely make it work for a Henrique for two years. They will still have some cap space after signing Brattt to a big extension. It’s really only an issue the year after next if they extend both Graves and Sevs and Siegs gets a big deal. I’m skeptical they keep both Graves and Sevs though.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Vesey moves and everyone else stays put, though I'm like 55/45 on Zacha.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
i mean henrique for 5.825 for 2 more years isn't THAT bad. and if ducks retain 50, it's cheaper than getting a free agent of similar impact
I am not in the group that thinks the Devils need a UFA F. They have 9 Fs under contract and 5 pending RFAs plus players like Holtz, Zetterlund. from Utica What do they need Rico for?

Reactions: Forge

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Subban's salary is uniquely suited to double retention, we should be able to trade him cheap to a team that needs a depth RHD with a low cap hit.

We will see if the juice is worth the squeeze. We saw last year that Fitz will just hold guys if the offer isn't right. If the third team involved in a PK deal wants a 4th or 5th, and the offer on the table for PK is a third, not sure it he'll really care to move him.

Reactions: My3Sons

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
they could likely make it work for a Henrique for two years. They will still have some cap space after signing Brattt to a big extension. It’s really only an issue the year after next if they extend both Graves and Sevs and Siegs gets a big deal. I’m skeptical they keep both Graves and Sevs though.
With 9 F's under contract, 5 pending RFA's plus guys from Utica. Why do the Devils want to make it work with Rico for 2 years?

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
We will see if the juice is worth the squeeze. We saw last year that Fitz will just hold guys if the offer isn't right. If the third team involved in a PK deal wants a 4th or 5th, and the offer on the table for PK is a third, not sure it he'll really care to move him.

A 5th for a 3rd is still probably worth it. I don't know if a 4th for a 3rd is.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

The second retention team is still looking at a fairly substantial cash payment because Subban's salary is so high. A 4th rounder may not be enough. Even if it is, we're trading a high 4th for a low 3rd. Its just not worth it to move up 10-15 spots later in the draft.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
PK Subban won’t be on our team past the deadline, his salary or his cap hit won’t interfere in any way.

Both issues are prorated and when he’ll get moved, we’ll be a little less than 3/4 into the season meaning it’ll be much easier for any team wanting to acquire him, to make him fit cap wise. We can also retain some of it and have a third party do the same.

Pro-rating makes no difference this year. The teams currently in the playoff race who are actually banking any sort of significant cap space are Boston, Minnesota, the Rangers, and Predators. Everyone else is using LTIR or is so close to the cap that they are banking almost nothing.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The second retention team is still looking at a fairly substantial cash payment because Subban's salary is so high. A 4th rounder may not be enough. Even if it is, we're trading a high 4th for a low 3rd. Its just not worth it to move up 10-15 spots later in the draft.

This has been covered already, PK's salary is like $2 million this year, it will be very cheap for the extra retaining team.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Subban's salary is not high, he was paid primarily in bonuses and he's only owed $2 million for the season. This means a team taking ~25% of his salary is only on the hook for ~$111,000 in real dollars.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Pro-rating makes no difference this year. The teams currently in the playoff race who are actually banking any sort of significant cap space are Boston, Minnesota, the Rangers, and Predators. Everyone else is using LTIR or is so close to the cap that they are banking almost nothing.

It does for those who think a team needs 9M$ of cap space to add Subban, which was talked about a couple of times in another thread.

Having us retain salary and a 3rd team involved will make this happen. Again, I don’t see Subban being a member of our team after the deadline.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Vesey gets moved to a team looking for PK depth on deadline day but I’d be shocked if he plays in the playoffs barring injuries. I’d say a fifth or a sixth.

Subban gets dealt closer to the deadline through another team also retaining salary. I think the Devils will get a late second from a contender or a third round pick from a middle of the pack team. Devils compensate the middleman team with a fifth or sixth, effectively moving up 2/3 rounds for Subban.

It makes no sense to hold onto these guys past the deadline when we can free up roster spots from some other players.

I think Fitzgerald is going to try hard to make a shake up move. I don’t think he’s going to shy away from trading Johnsson or Zacha or even Smith in the right deal. I doubt it happens before the deadline though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Vesey is gone if anybody wants him. I think Fitz tries to move Subban, but who knows if he finds a dance partner. Beyond that I think it's going to be pretty boring for us.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Finding a third team and giving them an asset to make double retention worth their while is a lot of effort to get, what, a 3rd round pick back to us?

There are easier, cheaper, and better options available for contending teams that need RHD depth.

I know the market goes crazy for defensemen this time of year but I don't think there's going to be a lot of interest in Subban tbh. Maybe the team that misses out on Klingberg panics and is willing to overpay for a big name?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Honestly, I think you do it just as a favor for Subban. Moves like that also make you look good to agents and players.

You have Jaros who can finish out the season for you. Then there’s also some defenders in the AHL that you can give a few games here or there which has value in itself.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Subban's salary is not high, he was paid primarily in bonuses and he's only owed $2 million for the season. This means a team taking ~25% of his salary is only on the hook for ~$111,000 in real dollars.

That makes it significantly easier to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad