Speculation: Devils at the Trade Deadline

What do you think Fitz is going to do at the trade deadline?

• Total voters

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He has not been playing great in the last 10 games or so. He's been recording assists and that's what you think playing great is.

Bratt and Hughes are superstar talent, it's obvious for anyone to see now.

He’s obviously benefiting, just like the rest of the team, from playing with Bratt. But his game itself has been solid points aside.

He’s settled into his role. He’s using his size effectively. He’s had an active stick and has ended quite a few plays defensively because of it. He’s filled in on both special teams and has won key face offs the last few games.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
plan is to bring someone else in via trade or ufa. blackwood isn't the answer this team needs anyway so just giving him the starters job by default because hes the best out of a bad group isn't a ringing endorsement of his ability. hes fine as a backup but he can't be counted on to be a work horse
so we should first try to find the workhorse. once we have it, dealing blackwood is an option.

but shipping him out without an alternative after a difficult season due to injury sounds like a stupid overreaction of a frustrated fan.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The problem is Zacha "looks a lot better lately" all the time, then disappears. The fact that we're still saying things like "his compete needs to be better" or "he needs to assert himself more" about a player who is in his 6th year in the league and playing regularly with the best linemates he's ever had doesn't speak highly of him ever putting it all together consistently. Now that isn't to say he sucks or is useless, since apparently there is no in between for some from being either the greatest thing since sliced bread or complete dogshit. He's a perfectly capable middle six forward with enough versatility to be a useful player. He's probably not a guy you want to pencil in as a regular top 6 winger moving forward, but he's also not some plug we just need to get rid of. I certainly wouldn't want to give him a 4+ year contract, but if they can keep him around as an affordable middle 6 winger for a few years, that's fine. Although I kind of feel it might be best for both sides to move him and let him get a fresh start somewhere else.

Wow. ^ this exactly. We can all stop posting now.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
New Jersey Devils
Level of Concern: Low
Scoop: Full marks to Nico Daws, the 21-year-old who has stepped into the blue paint and battled hard for the Devils. He’s being asked to do way too much, though, and the Devils know that. In the short-term, at least while Mackenzie Blackwood is still out, New Jersey is looking for an Andrew Hammond-type bailout just to steady things so the team can remain competitive. (Michael Hutchinson? Calvin Pickard? J-F Berube?) In the long-term, though, their goaltending picture is wide open. They aren’t sure if Blackwood can return to form, and the position has been a sore spot for two straight seasons now.

Seravalli: Sizing up NHL's goalie market ahead of 2022 trade deadline - Daily Faceoff

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I cant see an injured Blackwood being sent anywhere at the tdl, but maybe in the off-season in a Titanic deck chair swap.

You have a bunch of goalies who were tops in the league last year who have seemed to have lost it, shattered their confidence, or went to a worse situation...where's maybe they weren't as good as their stats were in 2020 and maybe aren't as bad as their 2021 stats.

The contracts all kinda suck, but Grubauer, Driedger, Campbell, Nedjelkovic...

If we made a bigger deal like Sevs to Toronto, I could see them giving Blackwood a fresh start and throwing Campbell back the other way. Not sure a 30yr old goalie is the answer to anything.

I'm sure there are teams that would covet
a healthy Blackwood.

If not for the terrible contract I'd buy low on Grubauer tho...you don't go from 2nd in the league behind Vas to complete garbage.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I don't think Pav goes anywhere. I hope not at least.
I do not think he will be moved by the deadline but I do think Zacha wants to go to a team that will play him as a C again. He said in one of those pregame videos that he felt a little more comfortable playing as a C and his agent likely reminded Friedman of Bennett for that video clip that was circulating. He seems to be a better W and it does not seem the Devils are going to use him at C on a regular basis anymore.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
February 24, 2022

Calvin Pickard, Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings)

For an NHL team that needs a reliable goalie, Pickard could fit that need.

He has again been a workhorse with Grand Rapids; he's tied with Annunen for second in the AHL in games played (34) and is second in minutes (2,021: 12). He played an NHL career-high 50 games with the Avalanche in 2016-17; in 115 career NHL games, he is 35-54-10 with a 3.01 GAA and .904 save percentage. Colorado selected him in the second round (No. 49) of the 2010 NHL Draft.

Pickard, who turns 30 on April 15, is 17-11-5 with a 2.46 GAA and .923 save percentage in the AHL this season.

Collin Delia, Rockford (Chicago Blackhawks)

The 27-year-old has been a steady organizational presence for Chicago since signing as a free agent July 28, 2017.

But he has been limited to two NHL games with Marc-Andre Fleury holding the No. 1 job, and Kevin Lankinen was activated off injured reserve Wednesday after being out since Jan. 22 with a hand injury. Delia has spent most of this season with Rockford, where he is 9-7-2 with a 2.82 GAA and .911 save percentage in 18 games.

Chicago also has 22-year-old Arvid Soderblom developing and splitting between the AHL and NHL. The Blackhawks signed Soderblom as a free agent from Skelleftea of the Swedish Hockey League on May 13, 2021. He is 9-7-1 with a 2.57 GAA and .925 save percentage in 17 AHL games, and has played three games with Chicago. He was assigned to the AHL on Wednesday when Lankinen was activated.

With many decisions ahead for the Blackhawks, Delia might have opportunities elsewhere.

AHL notebook: Goalies who could move before NHL Trade Deadline

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
tml fans would be disappointed if knies doesn't return jack and bratt ++.

i am interested in your opinion regarding graves. lhd has quickly become a position of strength. smith got relegated to third line. siegs/severson had some huge games in the absence of hamilton. if a team offers a first for graves, should the devils move him.

2nd (#61) and maltsev for a pick in the twenties, would be a good profit.

I don't look to trade Graves or Severson. The Devils are very close to turning a corner -- I feel the last two games against St. Louis and Colorado showed this. They just need consistency in goal and better interior play up front.

I feel the Devils are already losing 1/3 of their blueline, as Subban is gone via free agency and Smith is the player likely to be traded, as Fitzgerald has shown a preference for defenders who are physically bigger and stronger. I'd stick with what I think is a very good foundation for the blueline with Hamilton and Severson on the right, then Siegenthaler and Graves on the left.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
The problem is Zacha "looks a lot better lately" all the time, then disappears. The fact that we're still saying things like "his compete needs to be better" or "he needs to assert himself more" about a player who is in his 6th year in the league and playing regularly with the best linemates he's ever had doesn't speak highly of him ever putting it all together consistently. Now that isn't to say he sucks or is useless, since apparently there is no in between for some from being either the greatest thing since sliced bread or complete dogshit. He's a perfectly capable middle six forward with enough versatility to be a useful player. He's probably not a guy you want to pencil in as a regular top 6 winger moving forward, but he's also not some plug we just need to get rid of. I certainly wouldn't want to give him a 4+ year contract, but if they can keep him around as an affordable middle 6 winger for a few years, that's fine. Although I kind of feel it might be best for both sides to move him and let him get a fresh start somewhere else.
nailed-it.gif

Every year for the last several years Zacha was my “breakout” guy. I think we know what we have with him, and I’m not sure he seems like a guy will step it up in the playoffs when we do get there. I think it’s time to cut bait with him and move him.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
nailed-it.gif

Every year for the last several years Zacha was my “breakout” guy. I think we know what we have with him, and I’m not sure he seems like a guy will step it up in the playoffs when we do get there. I think it’s time to cut bait with him and move him.

Zacha is also the Devils most valuable trade chip. I feel Fitzgerald is going to cash that in, either at the deadline or at this year's entry draft.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don't look to trade Graves or Severson. The Devils are very close to turning a corner -- I feel the last two games against St. Louis and Colorado showed this. They just need consistency in goal and better interior play up front.

I feel the Devils are already losing 1/3 of their blueline, as Subban is gone via free agency and Smith is the player likely to be traded, as Fitzgerald has shown a preference for defenders who are physically bigger and stronger. I'd stick with what I think is a very good foundation for the blueline with Hamilton and Severson on the right, then Siegenthaler and Graves on the left.
I’d way rather use Ty Smith than Severson or Graves as trade ammo to get a interior forward or goalie . If Severson wants to hit UFA regardless of attempts to sign him to an extension , then and only then I’d move him. It would have to take a pretty big overpayment to more Severson I would imagine, it leaves way too big of a hole on the right side. I can’t see Fitz Doug that unless he has a plan already to fill the right side.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Bennett was relegated to the 4th line and healthy scratched several times.

Zacha has been leading this team in goals for a while now, despite the emergence of Bratt and Hughes who some label superstar talent.

This constant knocking of Pavel Zacha is foolish and he has the skills to make some regret their perpetual hate of a guy who just didn’t live up to his draft standing.

He’s been playing great in the last 10 or so games and consistency is probably his biggest flaw but we shouldn’t sell him for pennies on the dollar just because.
I don’t give a shit about Zacha’s draft position and I’ve done enough deep dive statistical discussions of both Zacha’s strengths and weaknesses to last a lifetime.

I have zero hate for the guy and the idea that anyone is being more “rational” here because they have a certain position on Zacha is laughable.

These 10 games don’t matter in terms of trade value or his long term fate. Zacha’s value to this team is is seen in how much how much playing time he’s had all year. The uptick in assists don’t mean that much other than guys on his line are hitting the net. He’s always been an ok playmaker and good passer in the right situations.

And if you actually value physical play as much as you claim to then you should understand the difference between Bennett and Zacha.

It’s more of a chasm really. Bennett is an absolute force of nature on the ice, he plays with fast pace, he hits a ton, he hits hard, he’s a borderline pest who drives teams crazy, he stands up for other players and his intense passion is palpable. He’s a difference maker just in that facet of the game while Zacha is big but unengaged physically.

If Zacha was great defensively or driving play while producing then the lack of physicality would stand out less, but alas, no.

I’ve said (a lot) that I’m guessing a team could possibly get more scoring out Zacha in a more sheltered role. (He’s the opposite of sheltered with Nico’s very tough minutes.) It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it happened but sure looks like it’s not going to happen here.

And I don’t agree that he has a ton trade value. He’ll get back something as some teams will want see what they can get out of him but no one is signing him for even a good-sized bridge deal for that. It’s likely a one year deal. (For instance, I don’t see him getting a 3 year deal, I would be genuinely surprised by that.)

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
March 3, 2019

Written by: Tony Androckitis

INSIDE AHL HOCKEY HQ -- Everyone knows about the NHL's trade deadline day. That was last Monday, of course. But, teams in the American Hockey League (AHL) looking for that extra push down the stretch have until Monday, March 4th at 3 p.m. ET to negotiate and execute trades at the AHL level.

What this means is that NHL teams can exchange NHL-contracted players in the minors with other teams for the remainder of the season, though the team receiving a player in advance of Monday's AHL trade deadline are unable to be called up to the NHL. The original team still retains the players' NHL rights.

An example of this came on Thursday when the New York Rangers and Carolina Hurricanes completed a minor league trade, sending goaltender Dustin Tokarski from the Rangers' AHL affiliate Hartford to the Hurricanes' affiliate in Charlotte. In exchange, the Hurricanes sent defenseman Josh Wesley to the Rangers where he was assigned to Hartford.

UNDERSTANDING THE AHL TRADE DEADLINE

As the AHL enters the stretch run portion of the regular season, teams around the league find themselves in one of three positions - firmly in the postseason picture, fighting for postseason contention or long since out of realistic playoff contention.

What to watch for as the AHL deadline approaches is teams pushing for the postseason in need of some depth for the stretch run, and teams out of contention looking to open up some roster spots for younger players to play larger roles and get extra ice time before the early summer.

AHL Trade Deadline 2019

Unless something's changed this season, the AHL trade deadline should be March 28, one week after the NHL deadline.

Unfortunately, no teams are out of realistic contention with Lehigh Valley being the furthest out, seven points behind WBS with a game in hand and only Bridgeport in between. WBS can extend that lead to nine points with a win tonight against Cleveland.

Philadelphia and NJ are unlikely trade partners, but a minor trade of a late pick or future considerations for vet RHD Adam Clendening could help Utica's depth.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, I don’t think Zacha wants the a short cheap deal here and his current agent isn’t a “short cheap team-friendly” deal kinda guy at all. He’s the opposite and goes to war on every deal.

Taking the QO and going elsewhere is about going somewhere else to have a role that gets him paid more, whether it’s at center or on a more sheltered scoring line.

People’s plans for Zacha don’t seem to imagine that Zacha, after 6 years, might have other plans. You keep players coming off of bridge deals by giving them longer term deals. I don’t see the team paying Zacha 4-5m in this next deal, so I see him leaving. Either before this last RFA year (with him signing his QO) or after.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
so what's the plan, if the devils trade blackwood. daws and schmid shouldn't be counted on. they need more time to develop their game. bernier most likely wouldn't make it through the first month as a full time starter. and gillies ... i rather don't think about this option.

blackwood is by far the best guess for the devils starting goalie next season. trading him would make the question mark between the pipes just a lot bigger. i fully support to look for another goalie in free agency and/or via trade. but unless they have a clear upgrade over blackwood on the roster, trading him is like punting with 1 and 10. shall we already look at the potential lottery selections in the 2023 draft.
Well, this hypothetical trade assumes Blackwood gets back before the TDL and therefore isn’t injured. Maybe it’s based on the dearth of goalies on the market while a number of playoff teams have real issues at goal. Blackwood played badly due injury btw.

I agree that I see no good argument for trading him since we have zero depth and still desperately need a goalie now. If a goalie gets in injured in the AHL that team is really f***ed and if it happens in the NHL both teams are really f***ed. A returning healthy(ish?) Blackwood wouldn’t be some luxury.

And the trade means we’re probably looking for two goalies next season, since Bernier is way iffier, and that’s a terrible position to be in.

We would need a shockingly good return.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I cant see an injured Blackwood being sent anywhere at the tdl, but maybe in the off-season in a Titanic deck chair swap.

You have a bunch of goalies who were tops in the league last year who have seemed to have lost it, shattered their confidence, or went to a worse situation...where's maybe they weren't as good as their stats were in 2020 and maybe aren't as bad as their 2021 stats.

The contracts all kinda suck, but Grubauer, Driedger, Campbell, Nedjelkovic...

If we made a bigger deal like Sevs to Toronto, I could see them giving Blackwood a fresh start and throwing Campbell back the other way. Not sure a 30yr old goalie is the answer to anything.

I'm sure there are teams that would covet
a healthy Blackwood.

If not for the terrible contract I'd buy low on Grubauer tho...you don't go from 2nd in the league behind Vas to complete garbage.
I wouldn’t take Grubauer for free, that was risky contract before the off-season and it’s brutal one now. There’s five more years on it after this, I have no interest in helping Francis solve the problems he created for himself.

He wasn’t the 2nd best goalie after Vasi last season either, there were more deserving guys for Vezina finalists (arguably the worst voted player award).

This year’s performance is a huge drop and a shocker and I assume a bounce back is very possible but… naw.

Campbell has never had a starter’s workload. I don’t know if that’s the issue but he was 17-5-2 in his first 25 GP, with a .939 SV%. Since that, he’s 7-4-2 in 15 GP (starting in 1/8) with a .872 SV%.

Campbell’s 24-9-4 with 40 GP and a .914 SV% overall. His current struggles have led to the neurotic hysteria you would expect from the Leafs fan base. Zero chance Toronto trades Campbell though (and he’s a UFA, so why would we care), they would love to replace Mrázek with a better keeper. He’s 10-5-0 in 15 GP with a .890 SV %, and is signed after this season for 2 years/3.8m.

Nedeljkovic started out in his first 28 GP with 12-10-4 and .918 SV%. Lately it’s gone worse, he’s 3-7-1 in his last 13 GP with a .859 SV%. Detroit is worse defensively then us, he doesn’t have it easy job.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Well, this hypothetical trade assumes Blackwood gets back before the TDL and therefore isn’t injured. Maybe it’s based on the dearth of goalies on the market while a number of playoff teams have real issues at goal. Blackwood played badly due injury btw.

I agree that I see no good argument for trading him since we have zero depth and still desperately need a goalie now. If a goalie gets in injured in the AHL that team is really f***ed and if it happens in the NHL both teams are really f***ed. A returning healthy(ish?) Blackwood wouldn’t be some luxury.

And the trade means we’re probably looking for two goalies next season, since Bernier is way iffier, and that’s a terrible position to be in.

We would need a shockingly good return.

i think this whole MBW as trade bait thing is the new agent’s doing. I can’t see NJ trying to trade a broken goalie but I can see a new agent looking to garner favor with his new client who is unhappy with his handling from vaccinegate to running him out there hurt. The agent calls Fitz and tells him they should trade MBW and Fitz tells him how can you trade a guy who can’t even play? Agent then runs to media source and plants story to hopefully build a market that he can bring to Fitz to trade MBW. That’s how settlement negotiations often work in litigation with recriminations and threats that are generally overdone by the party asking that the check be written to them.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
i think this whole MBW as trade bait thing is the new agent’s doing. I can’t see NJ trying to trade a broken goalie but I can see a new agent looking to garner favor with his new client who is unhappy with his handling from vaccinegate to running him out there hurt. The agent calls Fitz and tells him they should trade MBW and Fitz tells him how can you trade a guy who can’t even play? Agent then runs to media source and plants story to hopefully build a market that he can bring to Fitz to trade MBW. That’s how settlement negotiations often work in litigation with recriminations and threats that are generally overdone by the party asking that the check be written to them.
The new agent trying to make himself useful isn’t a bad theory, they are common source for info. He won’t get traded before he plays though, yes anything can happen, but that would be a shockingly strange thing. The return wouldn’t be worth it.

I do worry about the relationship between the team and Blackwood deteriorating. It often does when players are injured a lot, the player has issues with how the team has handled his injuries (and MBW might have some real things to complain about depending on what happened with the heel) while teams just tire of having a player unavailable/or play poorly due to injury (and they often aren’t super empathetic towards them).

I’m very curious to hear what Blackwood says when he gets back about all this.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The new agent trying to make himself useful isn’t a bad theory, they are common source for info. He won’t get traded before he plays though, yes anything can happen, but that would be a shockingly strange thing. The return wouldn’t be worth it.

I do worry about the relationship between the team and Blackwood deteriorating. It often does when players are injured a lot, the player has issues with how the team has handled his injuries (and MBW might have some real things to complain about depending on what happened with the heel) while teams just tire of having a player unavailable/or play poorly due to injury (and they often aren’t super empathetic towards them).

I’m very curious to hear what Blackwood says when he gets back about all this.

my guess is he won’t talk about it. If there is something to it the agent will tell MBW to let the agent handle the talking.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
March 3, 2019

Written by: Tony Androckitis

INSIDE AHL HOCKEY HQ -- Everyone knows about the NHL's trade deadline day. That was last Monday, of course. But, teams in the American Hockey League (AHL) looking for that extra push down the stretch have until Monday, March 4th at 3 p.m. ET to negotiate and execute trades at the AHL level.

What this means is that NHL teams can exchange NHL-contracted players in the minors with other teams for the remainder of the season, though the team receiving a player in advance of Monday's AHL trade deadline are unable to be called up to the NHL. The original team still retains the players' NHL rights.

An example of this came on Thursday when the New York Rangers and Carolina Hurricanes completed a minor league trade, sending goaltender Dustin Tokarski from the Rangers' AHL affiliate Hartford to the Hurricanes' affiliate in Charlotte. In exchange, the Hurricanes sent defenseman Josh Wesley to the Rangers where he was assigned to Hartford.

UNDERSTANDING THE AHL TRADE DEADLINE

As the AHL enters the stretch run portion of the regular season, teams around the league find themselves in one of three positions - firmly in the postseason picture, fighting for postseason contention or long since out of realistic playoff contention.

What to watch for as the AHL deadline approaches is teams pushing for the postseason in need of some depth for the stretch run, and teams out of contention looking to open up some roster spots for younger players to play larger roles and get extra ice time before the early summer.

AHL Trade Deadline 2019

Unless something's changed this season, the AHL trade deadline should be March 28, one week after the NHL deadline.

Unfortunately, no teams are out of realistic contention with Lehigh Valley being the furthest out, seven points behind WBS with a game in hand and only Bridgeport in between. WBS can extend that lead to nine points with a win tonight against Cleveland.

Philadelphia and NJ are unlikely trade partners, but a minor trade of a late pick or future considerations for vet RHD Adam Clendening could help Utica's depth.

A little more clarity on this.

The NHL-contracted player must already be in the AHL (or ECHL) before the NHL deadline. The Tokarski-Wesley exchange was not actually a trade, but mutual loans of NHL-contracted players to their respective affiliates. Tokarski didn't play any NHL games in 2018-19, Welsh was in the ECHL at the time of the loan.

Essentially an AHL trade, the move is technically an exchange of loaned players, meaning that the Carolina Hurricanes still hold the NHL rights to Wesley and the New York Rangers still hold the NHL rights for Tokarski.

---

Welsey heads to Hartford from the ECHL’s Florida Everblades

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad