Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire RW Matt D'Agostini and 2015 cdtl 7th rd pick for cdtl 4th/5th rnd pick

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
he's not saying its fair, he's saying St. Louis would need to be swept off their feet with an offer to trade Stewart with how hot he's been.

Run on sentence

I understand that, but in no universe should Kovalchuk be mentioned in that sentence. You can make a point that a player is unlikely to be moved without resorting to gross exaggeration.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
When zubrus is back he takes poni's spot and poni lands on a line with this guy and whatever center is on the third line at the time. All it really does in the long run is replace barch with a more offensively competent option. Nothing to complain about if we make it to the playoffs

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't see how you could demote Zajac to a 3rd line center though. He would be so under utilized with like 10 min a game

He's BEEN a 'third-line center' the last several games when Loiktionov's been in the lineup. And he's not getting any ten minutes a game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's BEEN a 'third-line center' the last several games when Loiktionov's been in the lineup. And he's not getting any ten minutes a game.

Exactly. 3rd line on the Devils doesn't really mean the same thing as third lines on some other teams. We aren't the Rags, we like to play all our lines and play them a lot. When healthy and with a full line up it makes us deadly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Exactly.

Loktionov is going to get more ES minutes then him, but Zajac will play less ES minutes, a good amount of power play, and a lot of penalty kill.

Loktionov will probably have ~12 minutes ES and ~3 minutes of PP, whereas Zajac will have ~9-10 minutes ES, ~ 3 minutes of PP, and another 3 minutes of PK.

apice3*

Zajac gets 5 minutes more than Loktionov right now. Zajac gets 20 minutes per game, Loktionov is around 15 since entering the top 9.

Only once this season has Loktionov gotten more ice time than Zajac - a game vs Winnipeg where each team only got called for one penalty.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
as evidenced by our playoff run last year- when were' rolling, you shouldnt really classify any of our lines as "1st" "3rd" etc.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think Lou is done, D'Agostini pushes CBGB to the 4th line when the team is 100% healthy. There's no room for anyone else unless another forward leaves town.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I think Lou is done, D'Agostini pushes CBGB to the 4th line when the team is 100% healthy. There's no room for anyone else unless another forward leaves town.

I think so too:

Henrique-Lokitonov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Ponikarovsky-Zubrus-D'Agostini
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

There some flexibility in that Zubrus can be pushed to wing, Henrique can go back to center if the line combo aren't working.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The full lineup isn't half bad looking. It will be nice to see it if/when these guys all come back. One thing that gives me slight pause though is Lokti. IMO he's still a bit of an unknown. The good thing is that, as poorly as he has been playing, we know what Zajac is capable of. If Lokti falls back a bit, they can be switched without much fuss. And Henrique can always jump in for either of them if necessary. Decent versatility there.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim

Agreed. It's not quite the lineup I'd like to see, but it's the one that makes the most sense right now. We'll have to see how contract negotiations work out in the offseason with all the upcoming FAs to whether Lou and JVB will have the funds to go after someone big to fill that 1st line winger slot.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think so too:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

There some flexibility in that Zubrus can be pushed to wing, Henrique can go back to center if the line combo aren't working.

Elias can play both too. Lots of positional flexibility in our group. With everybody healthy we have the size to run DeBoer's heavy forecheck too. That third line could be murderous on opposing defences if they click, and we know what CBGB can do.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think so too:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I think that is right...But man does that line up lack...It just seems sterile. No identity, no panache. It looks thrown together and hoping for the best without following the Devil template...

I think I feel that way because there are really only 4 home-growners in that group of 12. I don't know. but when I look at that forward group I just feel "ho-hum".

Nevertheless

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think that is right...But man does that line up lack...It just seems sterile. No identity, no panache. It looks thrown together and hoping for the best without following the Devil template...

I think I feel that way because there are really only 4 home-growners in that group of 12. I don't know. but when I look at that forward group I just feel "ho-hum".

Gio, Zajac, Henri, Clarkson, Patty

5 by my count, but point taken. Feels like there are a lot of outsiders in this group, but I wouldn't say there's no identity. Slowly but surely, it's clear Lou is building roles for the players once everyone's health returns.

I really like those lines ^^ and agree that there's a s*** ton of versatility with Henri/Zubrus/Zajac being interchangeable and you can sure bet your sweet ass Lou brought in D'Ags to light a fire under Mr. Clarkson

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Five, actually. Henrique-Elias-Zajac-Clarkson-Gionta (never played in another pro system). And Zubrus has been here for six years, while Kovy's going to be here another six plus plus.

I'd rather have Zubrus on the top line than Henrique actually, I think having someone do the dirty work enabling the two Russians to show off their skill would work wonders. And put Henrique with Elias and Clarkson/MDAG, with Zajac playing with Poni, Clarkson/MDAG.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK

Really? All those players fit the Devils style and identity, at least personality-wise. I think it`s just you, definitely the fact that not many of them are home grown. We haven`t changed much since 2012 and I don`t get the impression that the changes we made changed the culture we had in place since DeBoer took the job. Last year`s team was one of the best we had in terms of identity/companionship/atmosphere around the team.

If I miss something in that lineup, it`s more high end skill, especially up top (hello Parise), but that`s me.

Last edited:

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
definitely think Clarkson moves to the 3rd line. he sucks this year.

guys I think Clarkie has had enough time in the second line role. It really won't require a lot more skill to remove him from there. Some of the reviews coming out of this trade news on D'ago are stating he has good hands, he's a shooter and a great playmaker, he's patient with the puck. I see Clarkson starting on the 2nd line and after one period D'ago moves up, mark my words. DeBoer knows it, he'll give Clarkie his one period to hold his spot otherwise Pete is not afraid to move on the bigger and better things.

As always Pete is trying to win games. No room for sentiment.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Swap Semin for Poni and there's some panache. I'm satisfied with what Lou has done though. He did a solid job imo. Just need to move a dmen for a pick now.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Any move for a better skilled scoring forward is going to have to wait until the offseason. More and more it seems like not too many moves are going to be made here the next two weeks.

Probably just some depth additions and older vet/rental types. But that could help set up a very active late June/early July with the SC Final/Draft/UFA all coming within a week or two.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Maybe everyone around here is too young to remember that our "1st line" RW in 2003 (playing with Gomez and Elias) was......Grant Marshall, the owner of a career-high of 15 goals in a season. I do believe that team went pretty far in the playoffs?

The term "interchangeable flock of forwards" should ring a bell for all the old-timers (talk about a back-handed compliment, but I digress), but this is exactly the Devils formula for success. Find players that fit the system we're playing, and place them into positions/lines/roles that they are most likely to succeed in, and profit.

Essentially, it's not the actual player, it's his skill-set that is important. Lou is using his coach's own experiences with the player to augment his own opinion of his skills, strengths and weaknesses. Masterful use of resources, and one of the big reasons these moves usually work out well for us.

Oh, and RG, tell D'Ags to shave that beard before he kisses Lou's hand.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I don't care about home grown talent, but damn we could use more high end talent. We definitely miss parise on our top line and have not replaced him in the slightest way; sorry poni and dagostini.

Lokti has been a very pleasant surprise this year though, our offense would be an even bigger disaster without him.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

I think Lou has had his hands tied by ownership this year.

Methinks we didnt get close to Parise's Minnesota Wild offer in the offseason and once that was shut down we unfortunately over spent to keep Zajac when we probably should of taken a wait a see approach given he missed the majority of last season.

As a result there is no money left in the 'team budget' for significant signing and it has resulted in Lou having to go on the waiver wire and other teams castoffs to fill out the roster.

We even cant afford different hockey jerseys for our new players. It seems Nos 21, 15, 16, 25 are being shared around depending on who is called up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad