Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Marcus Johansson from WSH

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Caps fan post just now on the mainboard that reiterates what I said last night. Again, still a great trade regardless:

"Not sure many folks here have really watched Marcus Johansson over the years. As long time Caps fan I have. He's Tomas Fleischmann with more speed but less dangle. His game is more suited to the European and International ice, where you have more time and space. You may think highly of his game in October and November, where tight checking and physicality is not as apparent, but come March you'll be cursing him. Yes he's good on zone entries on PPs (note more time and space and thus he can use his speed) but on 5v5 he'll lose puck possession along the boards the majority of times as he can be easily knocked off the puck. He won't win many puck battles along the boards and behind the net. His passing will drive you nuts as he often makes ill advised passes, i.e. drop or blind passes or "tries" to thread the needle through defense. Playing on a line with Kuznetsov and Justin Williams made him look better than he is. His game is as a passenger, that is he benefits from the hard work of others, but he does not drive the play or makes his linemates better."

That's fair. It's not like we traded for McDavid. This is a perfect kind of depth guy though. This is what we should have been getting from JJ. Not a top liner, or even necessarily a top 6er, but a guy who can hang in this league and contribute points on a somewhat regular basis. Even if he is just a passenger, it would be nice to have a passenger that can finish things off. For too many years we have had passengers that could do nothing other than try hard.

I'm very happy with this. Like you, I'm slightly skeptical of the point totals coming from Washington and especially playing with Kuzy, but no doubt this guy is a solid NHLer with a nice skillset that is amazing value considering what we gave up.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Caps fan post just now on the mainboard that reiterates what I said last night. Again, still a great trade regardless:

"Not sure many folks here have really watched Marcus Johansson over the years. As long time Caps fan I have. He's Tomas Fleischmann with more speed but less dangle. His game is more suited to the European and International ice, where you have more time and space. You may think highly of his game in October and November, where tight checking and physicality is not as apparent, but come March you'll be cursing him. Yes he's good on zone entries on PPs (note more time and space and thus he can use his speed) but on 5v5 he'll lose puck possession along the boards the majority of times as he can be easily knocked off the puck. He won't win many puck battles along the boards and behind the net. His passing will drive you nuts as he often makes ill advised passes, i.e. drop or blind passes or "tries" to thread the needle through defense. Playing on a line with Kuznetsov and Justin Williams made him look better than he is. His game is as a passenger, that is he benefits from the hard work of others, but he does not drive the play or makes his linemates better."

...and?

Even if all of that is true, and it seems like it's a minority opinion among Caps fans and not what I've personally seen when watching him, no one has said we traded for an elite first line player here. We traded for a solid second liner and gave up peanuts to get him. Not every trade you make has to be for an amazing player, you need to fill out your whole lineup as this is a team game.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Huge Miles Wood fan. Couldn't he play higher up in the middle six at LW? I think he has underrated scoring ability and his speed is world class.

He has the IQ of a potato. That will hold him back from ever being a top 6 player. I really like Miles, but I don't see him as a top 6 guy on a team that is competing for the playoffs or a Cup.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Mentioning nothing completlmentary in there makes it seem like they're writing that to make themselves feel better about the value of this trade.

Sure, I bet Johansson can at points appear soft or frustrating with overpassing, but this narrative seems over exaggerated. "His game is more suited for European or international ice"...he's played 500 NHL games.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I thought he was one of their better players in every Caps playoff game I watched. Always driving the net, always trying to cycle the puck for a scoring chance, etc. He has 15 points in 25 games over the Caps last 2 playoffs which is 0.6 points per game, right in line with a 50 point player. He's 5th among Caps forwards in scoring over those same playoffs and the regular season. He's a quality second line player.

He has flaws and isn't a top offensive player, but we all know that already. So I don't know why certain posters have to keep qualifying praise for the trade with everything negative they can find about him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No, he has one more year before exemption. 18-19 is when he's waiver exempt. He's only completed 2 years in the league since he didnt play in the NHL in 14-15, so he fails the 3 year requirement. He also fails the games requirement (160) since he's only played 92.

We can still send Blandisi down as we please. He's gotta earn his spot. In fact, we have no players in that group (Wood, Blandisi, JQ, etc.) that are waivers exempt this season.

Okay, so I think this is both accurate and not accurate. Blandisi has only completed 2 pro seasons, so he is exempt from waivers, but he signed his contract at 'age 21', so he only needs to have played 80 NHL games to be waiver-eligible. He's got 68 now.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Meanwhile caps just signed space junk DSP

That's going to **** off their fans even more, many of them are already livid over the meager return on MoJo

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Blandisi was qualified, I have to expect him and JQ will be in there somewhere.

I think it's best for Speers to start off in Albany.

I think we should just let them all try to make the team and not pencil anyone in there at all. It's pretty nice to have actual competition rather than slotting parts like DSP in there.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen

That's your version of the glass half empty.
I watched the caps a lot and I see him as more than what you describe.

Then please explain what kind of player Henrique is compared to Marcus?

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
He will tend to stay to the outside while possessing the puck but he's very good at it. As the forwards are currently constructed, I would try him at RW with Henrique and Hischier. I think Adam would benefit playing on the 2nd line with two play makers. Hischier would also benefit playing with two vets.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Let's put all the hysteria to rest.

Johansson is a very good, second-line player. He has the offensive acumen to fill in on a first line, and the two-way acumen to fill in on a checking line. He has the versatility to play LW or C.

Is he a dominant force which will make the Devils into an immediate playoff threat? No, but he is a very good, very versatile two-way player who will improve the Devils' power play and zone entries. And the Devils got him at a very good price, for a 2nd and 3rd round pick which were acquired for taking on a salary of a retired player (Savard) and losing an executive whom they were forcing out, anyway (Lamoriello).

The Johansson deal must be looked at for what it is: a bargain pick-up of a very good but not great player who immediately makes the Devils a better team.

This acquisition also gives the Devils an expendable LW/C (Henrique? Quenneville? Zacha?) who can, in turn, be shopped to acquire the top-4 D which the Devils desperately need.

It was a good trade. And as all the best Devils writers (Wassel, Cordell) keep reiterating, the Devils are not done dealing yet.

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Well when you put it that way...

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Off-topic.

Does anyone Know the name Of the actor in this GIF?

On-topic: great trade! More euros please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad