Post-Game Talk: Devils 6, Oilers 4, Refs 1

HF Three Star selection

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also my wife laughed super hard watching Mike Smith fall into the net when Hughes scored the OT winner, because she thought he had scored on himself at first. I think she is just amused by the concept of someone failing so hard at their primary job responsibility.

Whatever the reason, it was great to watch her reaction so thanks to Smith for that I guess.
It looked like the puck hit him and he had it and fell into his net with it. It was a very bad goal, but I really thought Elliott with a bang bang tape to tape pass to Lafreniere for the slam dunk deserved softy of the night.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I made a day trip this past Monday:

269869497_231569122434744_8880010005897526991_n.jpg

Hot damn, that's quite the haul. I see some Hazes, Juliuses, and Treats, all good stuff. I love Tree House, I got a case around Thanksgiving and actually just finished the last one tonight (a Beginner's Mind). I have to go up again soon.

For those unfamiliar, Tree House is excellent beer (mostly IPAs) only available at their brewery in West Bumblef*** MA. The picture above represents probably $400-500 worth of beer easily. But well worth it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Also my wife laughed super hard watching Mike Smith fall into the net when Hughes scored the OT winner, because she thought he had scored on himself at first. I think she is just amused by the concept of someone failing so hard at their primary job responsibility.

Whatever the reason, it was great to watch her reaction so thanks to Smith for that I guess.

Bit nuts he stops Jack and Bratt on breakaways and then let's that one in.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I see Sev's and Sieg's were on the ice for 17 minutes against McDavid tonight 5v5. And won the corsi game against them.

They were on for 23 minutes of 5v5 total.

Is Sieg's the d-partner that Sev's has always been looking for?
Where does Smith fit? Short/ mid/long term?
Ham/Graves
Siegs/Sev

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Hopefully we can get on a roll and take a run at the playoffs. I was looking at the standings and it is not impossible, just unlikely. You never know, a 5-7 game winning streak changes things.

Fire Ruff and keep Nas.
Recency bias. Nas is already a question mark as an assitant

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Ham/Graves
Siegs/Sev

Add L. Hughes and Mukhamadullin so I dont think he will have a very long Devils career. None of that Graves, Siegs, Severson trio will necessarily be a long term players at Devils either. I think that Hamilton and Luke are the only locks in long term.

Pegi

Jul 1, 2019
What Jack has been eating over the xmas holidays since he seems to be putting lots of points?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Add L. Hughes and Mukhamadullin so I dont think he will have a very long Devils career. None of that Graves, Siegs, Severson trio will necessarily be a long term players at Devils either. I think that Hamilton and Luke are the only locks in long term.

Siegenthaler will be here for a while. He’s 24, he’s an RFA when his deal expires, he brings an element that the Devils don’t have much of, and he’s just a straight up good player. He’s not going anywhere.

Severson and Graves are bigger question marks as they’re UFAs in the same year, but I would be surprised if at least one isn’t brought back on a 4/5 year deal.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
It looked like the puck hit him and he had it and fell into his net with it. It was a very bad goal, but I really thought Elliott with a bang bang tape to tape pass to Lafreniere for the slam dunk deserved softy of the night.

No, the puck went in before he fell.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Siegenthaler will be here for a while. He’s 24, he’s an RFA when his deal expires, he brings an element that the Devils don’t have much of, and he’s just a straight up good player. He’s not going anywhere.

Severson and Graves are bigger question marks as they’re UFAs in the same year, but I would be surprised if at least one isn’t brought back on a 4/5 year deal.

I want Graves and Sieg here long-term. Severson can walk.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I want Graves and Sieg here long-term. Severson can walk.

I wish we could say we want all 3, but since Sev hasnt seemingly shown a lot of growth the last 2 seasons (including this one) i agree with you.

I thought this season would be a statement season for Severson now that we had an improved d core and a healthy size of extra motivation added with the upgrades (from beginning of season outlook of team performance projections). He was talking about winning and wanting to be part of that.

But his game hasnt really made a bold positive imprint on the team. Has he been bad? Not necessarily but he hasnt been outstanding either.

Fact that Siege stepped up 2 levels from last season would motivate him too.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I wish we could say we want all 3, but since Sev hasnt seemingly shown a lot of growth the last 2 seasons (including this one) i agree with you.

I thought this season would be a statement season for Severson now that we had an improved d core and a healthy size of extra motivation added with the upgrades (from beginning of season outlook of team performance projections). He was talking about winning and wanting to be part of that.

But his game hasnt really made a bold positive imprint on the team. Has he been bad? Not necessarily but he hasnt been outstanding either.

Fact that Siege stepped up 2 levels from last season would motivate him too.

Yup and he (Severson) isn't even doing that well in terms of points, which is what he's supposed to bring cuz he brings negative defense. Siegenthaler is barely below him and Graves has same amount of points, while providing way better defense.

With Severson's level of defense, I'm expecting Hamilton level of offense, and what do you know, we have a player like that, with same name coincidentally ;)

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Yup and he (Severson) isn't even doing that well in terms of points, which is what he's supposed to bring cuz he brings negative defense. Siegenthaler is barely below him and Graves has same amount of points, while providing way better defense.

With Severson's level of defense, I'm expecting Hamilton level of offense, and what do you know, we have a player like that, with same name coincidentally ;)

Yep! Unless Severson pulls out a heck of a second half and/or Siege dips badly.. I cant see me changing my opinion

Reactions: Devs3cups

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sev's does have the benefit of being a righty. If we assume Subban is gone, then we have Hamilton and then Reilly Walsh maybe?

Of course we can add to the mix via trade or UFA, and we will have to do that anyway to replace Subban, but is the replacement for Sev's going to be any better? If the replacement is cheaper, then I doubt he'd be better.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ham/Graves
Siegs/Sev
Welp, short term Smith is fine on the 3rd pair. His #'s have been better there.

With Hughes and Shakir still at least a year off, Smith will be fine there again next year. I think we should get a defensive oriented partner for him, someone that can play the penalty kill as well.

Long term? Lots of moving parts to consider. Do we resign Graves. Does Sieg's continue his upward trend, how do Hughes and Shakir develop, and of course how does Smith himself develop.

I look at Smith as the guy on the outside looking in, but that could change as we move fwd.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Welp, short term Smith is fine on the 3rd pair. His #'s have been better there.

With Hughes and Shakir still at least a year off, Smith will be fine there again next year. I think we should get a defensive oriented partner for him, someone that can play the penalty kill as well.

Long term? Lots of moving parts to consider. Do we resign Graves. Does Sieg's continue his upward trend, how do Hughes and Shakir develop, and of course how does Smith himself develop.

I look at Smith as the guy on the outside looking in, but that could change as we move fwd.
We definitely need a defensive partner for him. I think he'll be given every chance to be a 2nd pair defenseman in the future. It's only his second year, and D need time to develop.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Sev's does have the benefit of being a righty. If we assume Subban is gone, then we have Hamilton and then Reilly Walsh maybe?

Of course we can add to the mix via trade or UFA, and we will have to do that anyway to replace Subban, but is the replacement for Sev's going to be any better? If the replacement is cheaper, then I doubt he'd be better.
Sevs is going to have a lot to say if he comes back. If he tells the Devils he does not want to negotiate an extension and wants to test UFA the Devils have a decision to make.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sevs is going to have a lot to say if he comes back. If he tells the Devils he does not want to negotiate an extension and wants to test UFA the Devils have a decision to make.

if they approach him after this season and he tells them he wants to sign elsewhere it’s an easy decision to trade him in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad