Post-Game Talk: Devils 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
But, the playoffs HAVEN'T started.

You can want the Jets to win the division (I do too) but playing a series of different teams with different levels of motivation is nothing like a playoff series.

The Jets have been home and cooled forever, and yes, winning the division is a bit of a motivator but it's hardly the same as trying to snag a wildcard spot (jersey) or winning a playoff game.

I get the sense this Jets team will have no problem playing their style in the playoffs, consistently, against strong opponents. We won't know if I'm right or not til the post season starts

We also beat those hurricanes recently
True, they haven't started yet, technically. According to the Rangers commentary team, a Rangers player told them you have to start preparing for and playing these few remaining games like you're already in the playoffs. I don't remember the exact words. They were along the lines of, don't expect to turn on a switch all of a sudden because it's game 1 of the playoffs. If you haven't started conditioning yourself beforehand, you're in trouble. I agree with that.

I also agree that every team the Jets face for the remainder of the schedule, have different motivations. Looking at their remaining 13 fixtures, only 3 are against opponents that are truly done and dusted though. They have to play all the top teams in from the West. Which I think is pretty neat, as they essentially get a preview of every possible postseason opponent.

It would be very troubling if the Jets didn't go into those contests with a playoff hockey mentality. It's irrelevant how their opponents are prepared and motivated. The Jets have to set their own standard. If they are aiming to play their style consistently come the playoffs, well, no better time to get into the groove now. Impossible to win em all but consistency can be refined and made stronger.

For the record, I think the Jets have an excellent team. I feel pretty relaxed about it all. The loss last night wasn't great, but it doesn't make or break the chase for the division or the season. I don't even believe finishing first in the Central is all that important. The desire for the banner is just a bit of selfishness on my part.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Here's what the Jets PP/PK looks like, for the visual learners:

So I'm suppose to believe the stats he puts out when he can't even get a simple stat for the Jennings watch correct.
Florida has 167 goals against not 168 plus shouldn't the Jets be on top of the graph since they are in the lead?
The first PP goal Jersey got a lucky bounce going off Samberg's arm right to an uncover Hughes.
Jets played like crap and everyone knows it and they still had a chance to pull out the win in the 3rd but their special teams lost the game on to Long Island.

Reactions: Stumbledore

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I would agree that the PK has to get more aggressive, have to force the other team to make faster decisions which should cause less accurate passes. If you are going to just sit back you better be ready to block shots and not let the other team get to rebounds before you do .
I saw the PK doing this all night last night... they were not sitting back. Lowry and Apples were on top of guys - NJD has a good powerplay and the Jets didn't get the bounces.

Its just one of those games where if theres a Jet trailing to tap in the play where Jake Allen loses the puck, its a totally different game.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So I'm suppose to believe the stats he puts out when he can't even get a simple stat for the Jennings watch correct.
Florida has 167 goals against not 168 plus shouldn't the Jets be on top of the graph since they are in the lead?
The first PP goal Jersey got a lucky bounce going off Samberg's arm right to an uncover Hughes.
Jets played like crap and everyone knows it and they still had a chance to pull out the win in the 3rd but their special teams lost the game on to Long Island.

What? Who?

Garret posted an image from HockeyViz (Micah Blake McCurdy). It shows shot locations and frequency compared to the league average. Shot location data is provided by the NHL.

Aavco appears to have made his own Jennings Watch chart - and according to the NHL Standings page, Florida has 168 goals against vs. the Jets 164 (the NHL Team Stats page reports 167-163 though, so there's an extra or missing goal somewhere...anyway, send those complaints to [email protected] ;)).

1711134310935.png

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
It appears Miller is going to end up being depth for the playoff run, rather than (as we all assumed) replacing Schmidt. I wonder why he is having problems fitting in? System? Just not as good as we hoped?

Reactions: Stumbledore

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Glad to see Nik is good and Perfetti draws in. It'll be interesting to see if he can force his way back into the lineup permanently.
Perfetti can only play top 9. He's wasted on the 4th because he's the 4th best 4th liner. And if he's on the third line it better be to replace Apples.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I found it interesting he practiced on the second line instead of the fourth. Wonder if they give him an opportunity there and put Fly back on line 1.
Put him at 2nd line centre. Monahan at 3C and Lowry 4C. Not hating on Lowsy, he was one of the best Jets last night. That 4th line would be awesome with Lowry at C. BIG.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I found it interesting he practiced on the second line instead of the fourth. Wonder if they give him an opportunity there and put Fly back on line 1.

Barron-Namestnikov-Ehlers and switch ehlers and Iafallo if they get behind?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Put him at 2nd line centre. Monahan at 3C and Lowry 4C. Not hating on Lowsy, he was one of the best Jets last night. That 4th line would be awesome with Lowry at C. BIG.
They aren’t going to start experimenting with Perfetti at center on the 2nd line. It would be an uphill climb to get back to be playing wing in the top 6 never mind center. The organization trade a 1st to fix the #2 center hole.

Barron-Namestnikov-Ehlers and switch ehlers and Iafallo if they get behind?
This place lost it shit for awhile with Ehlers on the 2nd instead of the first. I can’t imagine the fallout if he actually lined up on the 4th.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
They aren’t going to start experimenting with Perfetti at center on the 2nd line. It would be an uphill climb to get back to be playing wing in the top 6 never mind center. The organization trade a 1st to fix the #2 center hole.

This place lost it shit for awhile with Ehlers on the 2nd instead of the first. I can’t imagine the fallout if he actually lined up on the 4th.
Wasted another 1st pick trying to fix their other first pick. Perfetti, centre or bust.

I'd be fine with Ehlers on that 4th line as long as he got 15-16 minutes of ice-time.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I did not read that line-up for practice. Perfetti is just taking Ehlers place for practice. Perfetti will be eating popcorn tomorrow afternoon.

If Perfetti plays 4th line tomorrow they should fire the head-coach.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wasted another 1st pick trying to fix their other first pick. Perfetti, centre or bust.

I'd be fine with Ehlers on that 4th line as long as he got 15-16 minutes of ice-time.
I think most people are happy with the Monahan pick up. He has filled a big need. The organization appears to have given up on the idea of Perfetti at center, I'll just be happy if the kid works his way back into the top 6 at wing, though more likely than not it won't be until next season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I did not read that line-up for practice. Perfetti is just taking Ehlers place for practice. Perfetti will be eating popcorn tomorrow afternoon.

If Perfetti plays 4th line tomorrow they should fire the head-coach.
Perfetti is playing, Arniel already said that and i would venture that he's going to play on the 4th line tomorrow.

Reactions: KingBogo

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That would be my guess as well, likely for Gus. Ehlers back on the 2nd with Monahan and Tofolli.
Bowness said that he didn't want anyone sitting for too many games down the stretch because he wanted everyone fresh come playoffs . You will probably see Stanley back in the lineup again as well at some point.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That would be my guess as well, likely for Gus. Ehlers back on the 2nd with Monahan and Tofolli.
Maybe you're right, but if that the case I would have thought they'd have Perfetti practice with his linemates for the game and just put a placeholder in for Ehlers (like Kupari)

I wonder if they're considering giving Iaffalo a rest. Not a terrible idea, considering he plays a tenacious, high paced game. Ehlers could slot there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad