Post-Game Talk: Devils 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I don't still have a tape of the game and even if I did I don't have the patience, BUT:

It would be interesting to examine the last minute or 30 secs leading up to each of the Jersey scores. It appears to me that, in each instance, Jersey fails to score and we take control of the puck and then throw it back to the blueline, Instead of an easy flip up over everyone's head to clear the zone, we only toss it as far as the blueline where a Devil cuts it off.

If we have possession of the puck, flip it up. Turn it over or risk an icing call, but clear it out of our end. Instead it goes back to the blueline and then ends up in our net.

Reactions: roccerfeller

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
looking at the standings, wherever the Jets land or they meet, it will be a tuff series, home or away in the first round.....

Reactions: GNP and Buffdog

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
One word.
SHOOT!
I can help.

200w.gif

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't still have a tape of the game and even if I did I don't have the patience, BUT:

It would be interesting to examine the last minute or 30 secs leading up to each of the Jersey scores. It appears to me that, in each instance, Jersey fails to score and we take control of the puck and then throw it back to the blueline, Instead of an easy flip up over everyone's head to clear the zone, we only toss it as far as the blueline where a Devil cuts it off.

If we have possession of the puck, flip it up. Turn it over or risk an icing call, but clear it out of our end. Instead it goes back to the blueline and then ends up in our net.

That is what the Jets had improved upon in the last half of the season, causing us to rise from I think 28th up to 21st. We were effectively clearing the puck when we got the opportunity.

Last night we had several instances where we basically handed the puck back to Jersey, resulting in a PPGA.

Hopefully it was just an outlier and not a return to our clearing struggles from the first half.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Powerplay:
5v4 pre-Monahan: 47 GP, 15.7% (24th), 5.03 GF/60 (25th), 5.98 xGF/60 (32nd)
5v4 post-Monahan: 22 GP, 28.9% (4th), 10.63 GF/60 (5th), 7.13 xGF/60 (24th)

SH% heater on the powerplay - and decent improvement in terms of metrics. Monahan has helped. But the powerplay still has issues under the hood. Can't count on the team to outscore expected by 3.5 GF/60 forever.

Has the penalty kill improved? I'll use the same date split (Feb 2) for pre/post Monahan:

4v5 pre-Monahan: 47 GP, 76.6% (26th), 7.60 GA/60 (22nd), 8.12 xGA/60 (19th)
4v5 post-Monahan: 22 GP, 74.6% (26th), 9.44 GA/60 (26th), 9.97 xGA/60 (27th)

PK is actually worse. Although I mentioned last night it was atrocious vs. NJD. Let's pull that one disaster game out and see:

4v5 post-Monahan before NJD game: 21 GP, 78.4% (19th), 7.9 GA/60, 9.64 xGA/60 (27th).

Nope...still terrible and worse than before in metrics...isn't this Arniel's regular job?

Anyway, they don't call penalties in the playoffs or something...right?

2022-23 Regular season 5v4 TOI per game, league average: 4.51
2022-23 Playoffs 5v4 TOI per game, league average: 4:55

Oh no...

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I will keep the faith as I didn't expect an 82-0 record and even the Bruins and Panthers have looked like dogs at times recently. On to the next one!

That goal by Ehlers was a sight to behold. Kind of surprised that two assists were given on it.

Brossoit was very good in the loss.

Even though the refs tend to "put away their whistles" and "let them play" in the playoffs, the Jets' special teams are still cringe worthy. PK too passive IMO and PP still too static. (Movement by Devils PP was excellent with of course excellent results.)

The Devils were wearing red and Jets white. Right? What the H-E-🏒🏒 was Scheifele seeing on that giveaway at the Devils' blue line.

Just a few comments. Go Jets Go!

Reactions: jungles

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Special teams are a concern.

An Oilers PP would almost be a guaranteed goal the way we sit back.

Will be a shame if special teams sink the team in the playoffs because this issue has been obvious the entire year. A team with the best goalies in the league should be better on the PK.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I will keep the faith as I didn't expect an 82-0 record and even the Bruins and Panthers have looked like dogs at times recently. On to the next one!

That goal by Ehlers was a sight to behold. Kind of surprised that two assists were given on it.

Brossoit was very good in the loss.

Even though the refs tend to "put away their whistles" and "let them play" in the playoffs, the Jets' special teams are still cringe worthy. PK too passive IMO and PP still too static. (Movement by Devils PP was excellent with of course excellent results.)

The Devils were wearing red and Jets white. Right? What the H-E-🏒🏒 was Scheifele seeing on that giveaway at the Devils' blue line.

Just a few comments. Go Jets Go!
But if you give it away you sure in the hell want to make sure you chase down the play and prevent a goal which is exactly what Scheifele did.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
An Oilers PP would almost be a guaranteed goal the way we sit back.

Will be a shame if special teams sink the team in the playoffs because this issue has been obvious the entire year. A team with the best goalies in the league should be better on the PK.
I would agree that the PK has to get more aggressive, have to force the other team to make faster decisions which should cause less accurate passes. If you are going to just sit back you better be ready to block shots and not let the other team get to rebounds before you do .

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
He can say what he wants.
My eyes saw what they saw.

That’s fair. Special teams was not as good as it has been the last few weeks. I think coming into this game we were 12 for 14 on the PK

That is what the Jets had improved upon in the last half of the season, causing us to rise from I think 28th up to 21st. We were effectively clearing the puck when we got the opportunity.

Last night we had several instances where we basically handed the puck back to Jersey, resulting in a PPGA.

Hopefully it was just an outlier and not a return to our clearing struggles from the first half.

I am hopeful it is an outlier. We have done decent with PK last few weeks. It’s just because this was an issue all year, it gets magnified when it’s bad. I saw a lot of whiffed sticks on the pucks. Set up plays that didn’t connect or heads up and missing the follow through. Similarly when trying to clear the zone, for example i think it was Monahan, he put some force into clearing but just missed getting the puck on the blade and it resulted in a soft clearing attempt, and subsequently a goal moments later - most times that puck gets the blade and the puck is cleared but it just didn’t happen yesterday

Reactions: Jet

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

I noticed that a few times and not just in this game ... the PK has the puck and instead of slapping down the ice they wrist it and lots of time its knock down at the blueline.

Reactions: Stumbledore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad