Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes, I'm aware of that, I'm referring to the actual new break being discussed that's written into the CBA.

Oh THE HORROR!!!!!!!!! It's almost like they had no choice & were drafted to Vietnam & suffered through the Tet offensive. Seriously? Give me a break.

Yes. It's ridiculous. They're off essentially either 3 or 4 MONTHS per year. Every year!

I see my family once per year. Same reason mostly = work.

And you know what? I'm not rich enough that if I really wanted to I could just fly my entire family in if I REALLY missed them so much that I wanted to see them. Ay de mi.

At some point it becomes a medical issue. The players bodies breakdown over time and that many games together will probably result in more stains sprains and overuse injuries if not carefully managed. I don’t think those of us that see November as poor scheduling are suggesting it has anything to do with the players’ feelings or economics. Playing the second half of the month you will likely see a very tired team at points. That’s unavoidable with this schedule, unnecessary, and IMO a competitive problem compared to teams with better schedules. I’m sure the players will give their best effort but watch which ones don’t get any extra days off and see if their play tails off. Heaven forbid someone gets hurt from overuse yes I’ll feel badly for that player regardless of his contract. My hope is the team rallies through this and rotates guys in and out of the lineup so everyone gets an extra rest day at some point and this becomes a spring board to a good run for the rest of the season

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor

Full lines, largely the same as Tuesday. If Palms gets the weekend off, I'm at least excited to see Bratt back in the top 6.

Wonder if Keith goes tomorrow to give Cory an extra day of rest.

The team’s depth is being tested right now. The team’s strong start was bolstered by the depth players and hopefully they continue their strong play until Palms returns.

Last edited:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Do you know how many salesmen/salesewomen in corporate America fly all over the continent all year long logging more miles than an NHL player does? As part of a 365 day schedule? THOUSANDS of them. It. Is. Their. Job. They dont get 4 months off & they're not making millions.

And spare me the "taxing" part about playing in NHL games. They're in the 20s & 30s and playing in hockey games is fun. I'm guessing from your comments you've never played hockey. I assure you it's not like NFL football. These guys are having fun.

Granted I realize my position will likely have few supporters on an NHL Hockey board inhabited by plenty of guys who look up to these players like heroes or as a pubescent girl looking at teenage heartthrob boys, but I'm confident in the world at large most people will think that demanding a schedule disrupting mandated 1 week break (and it is disrupting) for players who already get 3 or 4 months off and make millions to boot, is somewhat ridiculous.

Are you sure you've ever played hockey before? I'm 29 and even when I play beer league now I struggle the next day.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The team’s depth is being tested right now. The team’s strong start was bolstered by the depth players and hopefully they continue their strong play until Palms returns.
I know this is practice, but with Q and Blandisi available, I do not want to see Gibbons playing in the game tomorrow.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I'm not complaining about the "scheduling quirk" because it disrupts my life. I think this much time off between games disrupts rhythm and the Devils were playing well. I'd probably feel differently at this point if they were playing like crap coming into the week off.

As for comparing how professional athletes bodies recover in comparison to the lay person, I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. If we're talking about them wanting to see their families, that's different.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I know this is practice, but with Q and Blandisi available, I do not want to see Gibbons playing in the game tomorrow.

Really just depends how seriously Palmieri is hurt. If he's out for a while, good chance one of JQ or Blandisi get called up to play 3LW:

Hall - Hischier - Stafford
Johansson - Henrique - Bratt
JQ/Blandisi - Zacha - Hayes
Wood - Coleman - Gibbons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I'm not complaining about the "scheduling quirk" because it disrupts my life. I think this much time off between games disrupts rhythm and the Devils were playing well. I'd probably feel differently at this point if they were playing like crap coming into the week off.

As for comparing how professional athletes bodies recover in comparison to the lay person, I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. If we're talking about them wanting to see their families, that's different.

Sometimes yes sometimes no. A lay person doesn’t have a 225 pound person skating at them around 20 mph sandwiching them into a hard structure. Similarly you and I don’t get sticked in the head legs or groin at work (maybe you do in which case my sympathies). Advanced training methods or not that stuff takes a toll. My oldest son playing a sport in college has always complained that the physical contact is draining in ways the aerobic part isn’t. It’s not a close comparison but look at the NFL. 1 game for them has been equates to a car accident. The NHL game isn’t that violent but a game every other day for NHL players has to take a toll physically.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Injured in practice on Monday after going into the boards hard. Hasn't practiced since.

He got sick of seeing fans argue about the league mandated week off and has decided to take some time off from the game.

That and he got hurt in practice (lower body injury) and he hasn’t skated since Sunday.

Crashed into the boards in practice. Probably Muellers fault accordning to this board.

Well that's...unfortunate.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Really just depends how seriously Palmieri is hurt. If he's out for a while, good chance one of JQ or Blandisi get called up to play 3LW:

Hall - Hischier - Stafford
Johansson - Henrique - Bratt
JQ/Blandisi - Zacha - Hayes
Wood - Coleman - Gibbons
Personally, I think JQ and Blandisi on the 3rd line with Zacha would be better than one with Hayes or whatever current combo we have. 4th line is fine like that.

Hayes and Noeson are not good players.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Personally, I think JQ and Blandisi on the 3rd line with Zacha would be better than one with Hayes or whatever current combo we have. 4th line is fine like that.

What’s wrong with Noesen? He’s not bad.

Jimmy Hayes is pretty much an AHL player at this point.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Noesen is fine for a crash and bang fourth line. He's got some skill, but he plays way too erratic. He will just throw a puck to an area versus carry the puck and make a pass.

I agree on Hayes, but I think he gets a bit of a leash. He always goes to the front of the net and does a good job of being a nuisance there, but aside from that, there's not much to his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad