Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't understand why they can't just tack on a few extra days to the Christmas break and do away with this stupid BYE week. What is the point of having a week off 3 weeks into the year? I know everyone's break is at a different time, but this is just dumb.
This isn’t even the bye week. We actually fewer days between games during the bye week than we did this week.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This is almost as bad as the wait from the last preseason game to the first regular season game was.

And then to start November we have 7 games in 12 days, 3 days off, and then 7 games in 12 days again. Brilliant scheduling.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't understand why they can't just tack on a few extra days to the Christmas break and do away with this stupid BYE week. What is the point of having a week off 3 weeks into the year? I know everyone's break is at a different time, but this is just dumb.

This isn't even our official bye week lol that comes in January

This is just a scheduling quirk

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I agree with the consensus that this break is really stupid; especially when you look at the rest of the November schedule and see the games are all bunched up together.

This is an NHL 18 year two franchise mode schedule.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This is almost as bad as the wait from the last preseason game to the first regular season game was.

And then to start November we have 7 games in 12 days, 3 days off, and then 7 games in 12 days again. Brilliant scheduling.
Wow, that is atrocious.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I agree with the consensus that this break is really stupid; especially when you look at the rest of the November schedule and see the games are all bunched up together.

It's the most privileged snowflakish' thing ever.

As if guys making millions of dollars for working 66% to 75% of the year playing an incredibly fun game, are emotionally taxed just so much that they need an additional entire week off during their actual working season. Vomitous.

I'd only agree with this if during that week they were forced to work real jobs for a living for the first time in their life, like installing cable, corporate finance, truck driving, nurses aides, teaching, etc..... THEN I think it could be wonderful to grant them some perspective on how "hard" their life is.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

As if guys making millions of dollars for working 66% to 75% of the year playing an incredibly fun game, are emotionally taxed just so much that they need an additional entire week off during their actual working season. Vomitous.

I'd only agree with this if during that week they were forced to work real jobs for a living, like installing cable, corporate finance, nurses aides, teaching, etc..... THEN I think it could be wonderful to grant them some perspective on how "hard" their life is.

First off, this break isn't part of the mandated bye week, IIRC. Just a weird quirk in the schedule.

Even then, this logic just seems so off-base. Just because they're making millions doesn't mean that playing 82 games (or 7 games in 12 days or whatever ridiculous number the Devils started the year off) isn't physically draining.

They may be millionaires, but they're still humans....

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Christmas break = when everyone is off/people are home for the holidays = $$$$$$$$$

That's why. Those games and Thanksgiving games are usually gold mines for the NHL as far as bringing in money.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Just to re-state, for the billionth time, that this is just a scheduling quirk (Which will happen when you have to coordinate 31 teams) and NOT a break.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

I'd only agree with this if during that week they were forced to work real jobs for a living for the first time in their life, like installing cable, corporate finance, truck driving, nurses aides, teaching, etc..... THEN I think it could be wonderful to grant them some perspective on how "hard" their life is.

Woah... It's one week.. every team gets... Other than this week, where they seem to still be practicing everyday, that's it.

One week out of the entire season,

"We want 5-6 days off somewhere in the season to go see family some of us don't get to see for 8+ months out the year."

"NO! Keep playing a game non stop for us, no breaks, you don't need family, you have a lot more money than I do"

You sure you want to throw around the term "snowflake"??

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
First off, this break isn't part of the mandated bye week, IIRC. Just a weird quirk in the schedule.

Yes, I'm aware of that, I'm referring to the actual new break being discussed that's written into the CBA.

Just because they're making millions doesn't mean that playing 82 games (or 7 games in 12 days or whatever ridiculous number the Devils started the year off) isn't physically draining.

They may be millionaires, but they're still humans....

Oh THE HORROR!!!!!!!!! It's almost like they had no choice & were drafted to Vietnam & suffered through the Tet offensive. Seriously? Give me a break.

"We want 5-6 days off somewhere in the season to go see family some of us don't get to see for 8+ months out the year."

You sure you want to throw around the term "snowflake"??

Yes. It's ridiculous. They're off essentially either 3 or 4 MONTHS per year. Every year!

I see my family once per year. Same reason mostly = work.

And you know what? I'm not rich enough that if I really wanted to I could just fly my entire family in if I REALLY missed them so much that I wanted to see them. Ay de mi.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yes, I'm aware of that, I'm referring to the actual new break being discussed that's written into the CBA.

Oh THE HORROR!!!!!!!!! It's almost like they had no choice & were drafted to Vietnam & suffered through the Tet offensive. Seriously? Give me a break.

What does that have to do with this?

Playing 82 hockey games over the course of 8 months is really absurd when you think about it including all the travel that comes with it and practices in between. Not to mention the NHL seems to enjoy absurdly dense scheduling (like 7 games in 11 days).

Like I said, they're still humans. Just cause they're making millions doesn't mean there bodies don't break down and they don't need some sort of rest. The only dumb thing, IMO, is adding bye weeks just makes the schedule condense more which doesn't help matters.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
"Privileged snowflakish"

ob1.gif

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Playing 82 hockey games over the course of 8 months is really absurd when you think about it including all the travel that comes with it and practices in between. Not to mention the NHL seems to enjoy absurdly dense scheduling (like 7 games in 11 days).

Do you know how many salesmen/salesewomen in corporate America fly all over the continent all year long logging more miles than an NHL player does? As part of a 365 day schedule? THOUSANDS of them. It. Is. Their. Job. They dont get 4 months off & they're not making millions.

And spare me the "taxing" part about playing in NHL games. They're in the 20s & 30s and playing in hockey games is fun. I'm guessing from your comments you've never played hockey. I assure you it's not like NFL football. These guys are having fun.

Granted I realize my position will likely have few supporters on an NHL Hockey board inhabited by plenty of guys who look up to these players like heroes or as a pubescent girl looking at teenage heartthrob boys, but I'm confident in the world at large most people will think that demanding a schedule disrupting mandated 1 week break (and it is disrupting) for players who already get 3 or 4 months off and make millions to boot, is somewhat ridiculous.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Of all the things to get mad at the NHL about, a mandatory bye week doesn't even make my list. Who cares if they get a week off.

I just don't get the "they're millions they're not human rationale" some people have.

It's the same with celebrities where people treat them as if they're incapable of having the same problems/issues regular everyday people have.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I just don't get the "they're millions they're not human rationale" some people have..

Never said that.

What I said is that when you're an adult & you have a job, and nobodies job is perfect, you DEAL with any negative consequences like a mature adult.

And as far as "problems" go, this is really a stretch. The average NHL player has FAR MORE TIME to spend with their family than many people do, should that be how they chose to spend their free time.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Do you know how many salesmen/salesewomen in corporate America fly all over the continent all year long logging more miles than an NHL player does? As part of a 365 day schedule? THOUSANDS of them. It. Is. Their. Job. They dont get 4 months off & they're not making millions.

And spare me the "taxing" part about playing in NHL games. They're in the 20s & 30s and playing in hockey games is fun. I'm guessing from your comments you've never played hockey. I assure you it's not like NFL football. These guys are having fun.

Granted I realize my position will likely have few supporters on an NHL Hockey board inhabited by plenty of guys who look up to these players like heroes or as a pubescent girl looking at teenage heartthrob boys, but I'm confident in the world at large most people will think that demanding a schedule disrupting mandated 1 week break (and it is disrupting) for players who already get 3 or 4 months off and make millions to boot, is somewhat ridiculous.

Along with making millions to play a game, they get a week off during the season. Those are the perks of the job they have. You want those perks, start practing. You want to end those perks, get a job with the NHL and fight it.

You obviously have some real resentment about this for some reason. Either join em, change em or deal with it.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
there's a difference between a break mid season and the offseason break. it's just a week in January, idk how anyone could be so worked up about it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Now the sweeping generalizations toward me. A bit earlier than usual, but I'm not surprised. Now to keep it to the topic.

Again, they play 82 games over the course of October - beginning of April. In roughly ~190 days, most NHL players are playing 82 games. That's ridiculous. Any normal human will need some sort of rest regardless of how much rest they have in their off-season.

What you're bringing up is irrelevant to what I'm saying. You're dodging my point altogether. Doesn't matter how much "fun" you're having, that's physically taxing.

That's not to mention the 1/2 month of training camp and any post-season play after that where guys can end up playing close to 100+ games.

And as far as "problems" go, this is really a stretch. The average NHL player has FAR MORE TIME to spend with their family than many people do, should that be how they chose to spend their free time.

I don't think it's about "family time" more so then the rest they need throughout the course of the season. I never brought up that point.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You obviously have some real resentment about this for some reason.

It's not resentment at all towards them, but it is a general resentment at how completely soft society in general is becoming.

Every little problem or sliver of adversity people have in their lives now, somehow must be mitigated or "made better" (sniffle).

It isn't just this, admittedly, completely trivial NHL example, it's omnipresent & everywhere, and it is a big problem where we have an entire generation of people who cant deal with a paper cut. God save America.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
It's not resentment at all towards them, but it is a general resentment at how completely soft society in general is becoming.

Every little problem or sliver of adversity people have in their lives now, somehow must be mitigated or "made better" (sniffle).

It isn't just this, admittedly, completely trivial NHL example, it's omnipresent & everywhere, and it is a big problem where we have an entire generation of people who cant deal with a paper cut. God save America.
Listen, I'm completely on your side with this mentality. But I really don't think it applies here.

They wanted something, they negotiated it and got it. Simple as that. I didn't see whining media campaigns or anything like that.

If your job is up for discussion and you negotiate another week vacation into it along with a raise, is it a snowflake thing to do or just getting what you can?

If they went on strike for a week a year in protest of not getting it, this would be a different argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad