Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Considering he's been a scratch for half the games, obviously the staff doesn't seem to like him all that much but he has gotten decent icetime the games he did play. I don't think he's been all that great, he can't handle the puck very well. He's okay when the puck's not on his stick and he doesn't have to move anywhere.

It isn’t that they don’t like him. They are trying to teach him.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I think, at this point, Mueller has been good since they swapped him to the pairing with Butcher. With sheltered minutes & offensive zone starts. Hopefully they work to try and over the long run make him into something more, considering what they paid for him. But, in all honesty, despite all the underlying numbers garbage, my eyes have told me he isn't even close to as bad as some people claim. Side note - don't listen to Todd Cordell's opinions on players. His write-ups are good and provide some cool information, but he has never played hockey in his life beyond rec shit - no means to put stock into his player evaluations.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
But, in all honesty, despite all the underlying numbers garbage, my eyes have told me he isn't even close to as bad as some people claim. Side note - don't listen to Todd Cordell's opinions on players. His write-ups are good and provide some cool information, but he has never played hockey in his life beyond rec **** - no means to put stock into his player evaluations.

He's another example of throwing around Corsi etcetera, to sound smart.

So and so's "shots 5v5" divided by ATOI, raised to the power of 3 (for some reason) and multiplied by FO% won etc. blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: I Hate Tie DOMI

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think, at this point, Mueller has been good since they swapped him to the pairing with Butcher. With sheltered minutes & offensive zone starts. Hopefully they work to try and over the long run make him into something more, considering what they paid for him. But, in all honesty, despite all the underlying numbers garbage, my eyes have told me he isn't even close to as bad as some people claim. Side note - don't listen to Todd Cordell's opinions on players. His write-ups are good and provide some cool information, but he has never played hockey in his life beyond rec **** - no means to put stock into his player evaluations.
Whereas you were a perennial 40 goal scorer in the NHL?

Wayne Gretzky was one of the worst coaches of the modern era. Being a good player and being able to describe and evaluate things are completely different.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Why do people act like corsi is some convoluted stat? It's pretty damn simple. The Devils don't generate any offense when Mueller is on the ice and the opposing team always has the puck. My eyes also tell me this guy handles the puck like a grenade.

Reactions: Aethon

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Do you think Coleman offers more offense than Wood? Both are limited players but in different ways. I think Wood may offer a bit more on the offensive end and hence offer a bit more to a line with PZ and Bratt. I can see the argument for Coleman but any line with PZ on it is a line I would try to coax offense out of right now.

I just think Coleman's playing style is better suited for 3rd line minutes in comparison to Woods. They are both 4th line players in my opinion, but I would rather see Coleman with Zacha and Bratt than Wood.

If Palimeri can’t go I would like to see JQ given a shot.

Me too, but I think we are all forgetting the outstanding camp Blandisi had. He deserves a chance too. Maybe even more so than JQ.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just think Coleman's playing style is better suited for 3rd line minutes in comparison to Woods. They are both 4th line players in my opinion, but I would rather see Coleman with Zacha and Bratt than Wood.

Me too, but I think we are all forgetting the outstanding camp Blandisi had. He deserves a chance too. Maybe even more so than JQ

Same, I keep the 4th line together and bring up Q or Blender.

Or if you want a righty, bring up Lappin.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
VG (Violent Gentlemen, the company that made the shirts) turned into a Devils logo, Boyle has a make hockey violent again hat.

holy f***. that is amazing. a joke on that guy in office… lou would rip up the contract within minutes if someone tried to do that today

i know he's not really saying make hockey violent again in the sense of goonship…but it is a game that has and needs to be played physically ….its half the allure of the sport.

ive said before that our beloved devs have been soft as baby shit for years.. rarely finishing checks,…..how about some intensity……….

im boiling over with something right now……and it feels good…...

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013
I saw Boyle in person at the red carpet event he signed my jersey for me, I thought he was a big dude but man didn't realize just how big he was. This is going to be nice having a center this size in the line up, we are only about to get even better then we have already been showing to be.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Who does y'all have playing on the first and second PP unit?

Currently, with a 1 - 3 -1 approach.

Hall - Henrique - Palmieri - Butcher with Hayes as the net front presence when he's in. With no Hayes, Henrique took that role with Bratt moving to the center.

Zacha - Stafford - Hischier - Johansson - Severson has been the other unit. Johansson down low, Hischier in the set-up role, Zacha opposite him, and Stafford in the middle.

With Palmieri out, my guess would be Bratt shifts to his spot, Hayes goes back to being the net front presence, and Henrique moves to the central role.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I don't understand why they can't just tack on a few extra days to the Christmas break and do away with this stupid BYE week. What is the point of having a week off 3 weeks into the year? I know everyone's break is at a different time, but this is just dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad