Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I don't want Carlson, we need LHD far more than another RHD and I personally feel he's a little overrated and will get stupidly overpaid as a result.

For me the winning ticket in UFA this year is Calvin de Haan from the Islanders, he's a really solid defenceman and fits perfectly with this team both in terms of age as well as stylistically.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
That is a really poor way to build a team.

It depends on our GMs opinion of Santini and Severson. If he feels that they are better or will be better in a few years then we wait and hope we can draft a LD. I understand that paying Carlson would hurt but I don’t understand how adding him and then using the extra resources we then have to balance out our team is a poor way to build a team.

Reactions: MichaelJ

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Henrique has got to be on the table now if there is that big of a market. If there is a time to trade him, it is now while his value is high and there is a good market for forwards

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Ducks please

They jumped to mind immediately, in a later tweet he mentioned they're specifically looking for a center.

Zacha+ for Vatanen? They'd still be pretty deep on the right side with Manson & Montour, both of whom are likely considered untouchable.

Greene - Vatanen
Moore - Severson
Butcher - Santini

Would make three pretty solid pairings, perhaps we could even get them to take Lovejoy back for salary purposes. He was actually pretty good when he played for them, that's the entire reason I was originally a fan of the Lovejoy signing :laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
They jumped to mind immediately, in a later tweet he mentioned they're specifically looking for a center.

Zacha+ for Vatanen? They'd still be pretty deep on the right side with Manson & Montour, both of whom are likely considered untouchable.

Greene - Vatanen
Moore - Severson
Butcher - Santini

Would make three pretty solid pairings, perhaps we could even get them to take Lovejoy back for salary purposes. He was actually pretty good when he played for them, that's the entire reason I was originally a fan of the Lovejoy signing :laugh:

I’d prefer to hold onto the young buck if we can. Also, I’m hoping we can get a little bigger of a body than Vatanen if possible.

njdevs1337

Oct 10, 2017
Not happy with zacha being an extra today. They sat him 2 games in a row and he comes back gets an assist plays a good game you reward him by playing him again, not benching him. It sends a bad message. Noesen hasnt played well at all all year. He should be sitting instead of zacha and then keep zacha at wing. Lines should look like this

Hall-zajac-palms
Bratt- nico- stafford
Zacha-rico-wood
Coleman-boyle-gibbons

Really hate them sitting zacha. Being the 6th pick he's suppose to be a huge part of your future. Hes not going to be successful playing center. And theres nothing wrong with that. Look at galchenuk same situation. He cant play center. Last year proved zacha was great on the wing. You can' sit him for a player like noesen

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Agreed. I would prefer something along the lines of Larsson for Henrique

I like Larsson but he's got 4 career games played in the NHL, trading Henrique for a player with next to no NHL experience seems like a bad idea to me.

We're already very young on defence, if we're trading to fill a hole back there we need someone with experience, people like de Haan, Vatanen & Tanev spring to mind. Obviously you have to give to get, one of Zacha or Henrique is pretty much guaranteed to be the centerpiece of any deal, i'd personally rather deal Zacha, but there's convincing arguments for keeping both players; Zacha is cheaper and has more potential, but I value Henriques experience and PKing, even though he's an inconsistent scorer. If we trade him our only experienced (non 4th-line) center is Zajac, other than that it's just the trio of kids (Zacha, Hischier & McLeod). The fact we have Hischier & McLeod makes Zacha sort of expendable in my eyes, even though I do think he'll become a very good player one day.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It depends on our GMs opinion of Santini and Severson. If he feels that they are better or will be better in a few years then we wait and hope we can draft a LD. I understand that paying Carlson would hurt but I don’t understand how adding him and then using the extra resources we then have to balance out our team is a poor way to build a team.

Well he clearly thinks a lot of Severson given he locked him up to a six-year deal. And yes I know the response will be 'but he traded Larsson'...sure, and if the Oilers offer Draisaitl for Severson he likely does that deal too, you can't really account for the overpay.

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I like Larsson but he's got 4 career games played in the NHL, trading Henrique for a player with next to no NHL experience seems like a bad idea to me.

We're already very young on defence, if we're trading to fill a hole back there we need someone with experience, people like de Haan, Vatanen & Tanev spring to mind. Obviously you have to give to get, one of Zacha or Henrique is pretty much guaranteed to be the centerpiece of any deal, i'd personally rather deal Zacha, but there's convincing arguments for keeping both players; Zacha is cheaper and has more potential, but I value Henriques experience and PKing, even though he's an inconsistent scorer. If we trade him our only experienced (non 4th-line) center is Zajac, other than that it's just the trio of kids (Zacha, Hischier & McLeod). The fact we have Hischier & McLeod makes Zacha sort of expendable in my eyes, even though I do think he'll become a very good player one day.
Henrique is not part of our future. Zacha is. I think this sums up why we need Zacha over Henrique. Henrique is better now, yes, but will we really have him past his contract expiration. I dont think so. I do understand your point for not wanting Larsson for Rico though, but I am a huge Larsson fan and believe he is gonna be a great one for a long time

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Can’t really be upset with them for sitting Zacha. After all, they gave him every chance at the top line center spot. If anyone’s to blame it’s pavel for not making the most out of th opportunity. How do you justify sitting others when no one has really played themselves out of the lineup

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Can’t really be upset with them for sitting Zacha. After all, they gave him every chance at the top line center spot. If anyone’s to blame it’s pavel for not making the most out of th opportunity. How do you justify sitting others when no one has really played themselves out of the lineup
It would be justified if he played himself out of the lineup. He played good on Sunday. He had an assist and set up multiple chances all game. And how does Noesen deserve to be in the lineup over him based on how he has played. He has done nothing for us this season. It is not a good example to the young guys to be exercising this practice even though they have played fine in the role given to them. You develop a player by playing them, not by sitting them. He sat for 2 games a week ago, he played fine on Sunday. No reason to sit him again

Reactions: njdevs1337

njdevs1337

Oct 10, 2017
He literally played 3 games on the top line. That' not a real chance. Plus like i said he shouldn' be playing center. Last year he thrived playing on wing. He put up point playing with a shitty center in josefson. Give him a shot with a good center and let' see what happens.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Henrique is not part of our future. Zacha is. I think this sums up why we need Zacha over Henrique. Henrique is better now, yes, but will we really have him past his contract expiration. I dont think so. I do understand your point for not wanting Larsson for Rico though

That's a perfectly reasonably perspective, but I disagree that Henrique can't be a part of our future, he's only 27. A winning team needs a mixture of veterans and younger players, Zajac is still an integral part of our team at 32 years old.

The big concern with Henrique is what his next contract will look like, i'd certainly be a little reluctant to sign an inconsistent 28-year old Henrique to anything more than a 4-5 year deal at around $5 million per. I feel his reputation around the league might be a little inflated compared to what he actually brings to the table, therefore it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up getting significantly overpaid in UFA.

As such, there's definitely a convincing argument for keeping Zacha over Henrique, even though I think losing the latter subtracts more from our team in the here and now. Regardless of who we part with, we need a defender with some experience coming back, I think Larsson is a great young player but i'd be wary of throwing him into an already very young defensive group with Butcher, Santini, Mueller & Severson. I think we need someone a little more seasoned to bring some additional defensive stability, especially since one of our 'veterans' in John Moore tends to be a little bit of a wildcard back there as it is. I'd give a kings ransom to get someone like Chris Tanev from Vancouver, but I highly doubt he's available.

njdevs1337

Oct 10, 2017
If we were to get vatanen the ducks would deff want henrique as the main piece in the deal plus maybe a prospect or pick. The ducks are in win now mode they wouldn' want to developing player. They want someone who can help them now

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey

Maybe there’s a deal that can help both teams.

Not sure Ducks fit considering they prob trade a RHD as I doubt they move Fowler or Lindholm.
Highly doubt the Bruins trade any of their top 4, maybe Carlo but he's RHD
CBJ could move Murray
Oilers Panthers and Habs all have weaker d cores I doubt they trade from.
We aren't trading with the Rags

CBJ is the only good fit tho I could see something with Anaheim

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
If we were to get vatanen the ducks would deff want henrique as the main piece in the deal plus maybe a prospect or pick. The ducks are in win now mode they wouldn' want to developing player. They want someone who can help them now

I'd do Henrique for Vatanen, that actually seems like a pretty fair deal one for one. It would be hard to part with Henrique, but I think it would improve the overall composition of our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad