Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Defensively I can't really find a solution. I think Butcher getting more minutes would be a start. He's shown he's capable of getting the puck up the ice, but it's been in sheltered minutes.

The Santini/Greene pairing really isn't working. We can't have two players that are on the ice while the other team gets 65% of shots. It just isn't going to work. Recreating low-event, defensive/defensive pairings just doesn't work in today's game. Santini would ideally be used in a shut-down role on the 2nd or 3rd pairing. That's when he's always looked his best and filled his role.

It's just going to be hard to win hockey games when you are playing BOTH John Moore and Ben Lovejoy. Mueller was improving and although I don't think he was playing fantastic or anything, it's a bad loss.

Reactions: Bleedred

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Defensively I can't really find a solution. I think Butcher getting more minutes would be a start. He's shown he's capable of getting the puck up the ice, but it's been in sheltered minutes.

The Santini/Greene pairing really isn't working. We can't have two players that are on the ice while the other team gets 65% of shots. It just isn't going to work. Recreating low-event, defensive/defensive pairings just doesn't work in today's game. Santini would ideally be used in a shut-down role on the 2nd or 3rd pairing. That's when he's always looked his best and filled his role.

It's just going to be hard to win hockey games when you are playing BOTH John Moore and Ben Lovejoy. Mueller was improving and although I don't think he was playing fantastic or anything, it's a bad loss.

Yeah it's kind of a mess no matter how you do it with no Mueller. I'd split up the top two pairings and go back to Greene/Severson as the top pairing. Put Santini with Moore. Although then that leaves a third pairing of Butcher/Lovejoy or Butcher/Prout, which is problematic. Butcher isn't bad defensively, but putting him with one of those two certainly isn't going to help him. And if you put Butcher with Santini that leaves Moore and Lovejoy/Prout together.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

There is no solution for our defense this season, barring an unforeseen trade. We need to be patient, maybe there'll be something this off-season to help out such as a more palpable trade or signing (*cough* Carlson *cough*) but for now, we're gonna suck. At least our offense is much better though. Trust the process.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
There is no solution for our defense this season, barring an unforeseen trade. We need to be patient, maybe there'll be something this off-season to help out such as a more palpable trade or signing (*cough* Carlson *cough*) but for now, we're gonna suck. At least our offense is much better though. Trust the process.

If we can end up with a

Carlson - Santini
Greene - Severson
Mueller - Butcher
Ex.Moore, Lovejoy

(With a 2018 1st round defenseman brewing in the wings)

next year, I will drool

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Stafford is a key cog on the PP and has been getting chances each game. He has been good IMO.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Ehhhhh that left side is not good. Actually it is really bad because Greene will be a year older. Honestly our money and assets would be much better served finding a LHD.

I still wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to sign Carlson and then one of Severson or Santini becomes a major piece of a trade for a LD

Reactions: MichaelJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I still wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to sign Carlson and then one of Severson or Santini becomes a major piece of a trade for a LD

That’s a really good way to build a team and balance out the defense between established veterans/youth and RHD/LHD. Also gives the team the true top pairing defenseman they need.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Mueller was just really finding his game too.......incoming Lovejoy for 18 minutes a night

Mueller prob going to be out for close to 8 week i would say

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
If we do theoretically sign Carlson either he or one of Sevs/Santini probably shift to LD. Probably whichever one has better chemistry with Carlson? Example:
Santini - Carlson
Greene - Sevs
Mueller - Butcher

Each pairing is one offensive dman and one defensive dman. Good balance IMO

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Is there, like, literally any other D man in Binghamton that can play? Can we trade future considerations for Gelinas or something? I really don' want to watch lovejoy...

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I'd rather not move Santini or Severson to LD. They have been RD for so long and are good there, there is no need to twitch it up. Having a bunch of D on their off-sides is never a good time.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
That is a really poor way to build a team.

...especially when both Severson and Santini have a shot at being better than Carlson by the time he signs with us for big bucks.

Too many RHD? Poor baby.

Part of Carlson's high value is because he's an RHD... I think it would be easier to find a good LHD.

I mean really - any ideas that move Santini, Severson or Butcher at this point are just ludicrous, I think. If anything, send an aging Andy Greene to be a #3 D on a cup winner at the deadline and see if you can get another high-ceiling D prospect in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad