Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
They had a goals for% of 71.4 while on the ice together last year, that's insane. Zajac was tied for second (with Palmieri) in 5v5 points last season, one behind Hall.

... on just about the worst offensive team in the league. Hall only had 20 goals and 53 points. That's about 30 points short of where he should be.

I was saying Hall Nico Bratt - or Stafford - and then make the second line something to deal with Palms on the wing.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
even without the mueller injury i doubt ray would've made any type of moves to acquire talent. this is a growth year and anything more like playoffs or playoff wins is just gravy at this point. i'm sure the summer is when he would target and pounce on a player/team

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I feel like Lovejoy hasn't been too bad in the minutes he's played? I think we should just wait it out. I kinda love this team chemistry so far, wouldn't want a rash trade to spoil it.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Really stinks about Mueller. I guess we'll see how Lovejoy does for the next few weeks. If it doesn't go well, gotta figure Shero is thinking of other options. There is a lot of season left. This also gets Prout closer to regular minutes which is awful imho. A guy who is a constant penalty is the last thing this roster needs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
sorry man - we're just not on the same page. Possession doesn't mean they score. I'd much rather have Nico and Hall scoring than Zajac hemming the puck in the corner.

I'm usually the first one on the possession can get overrated train (see: Bennett, Beau) but as was said they did outscore the lines they played last year by a wide margin. It's not about quantity of goals as much as it is scoring more goals than the opponent. And Travis didn't hold Palm back. In Hall's case he was never the same after surgery last year but I'd give that line another try.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Apparently today is National Pickle Day.

D4279265-159C-4471-AA47-0C1289B801BF.jpeg

Reactions: JK3

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The Devils can't sustain this level of play with how much they're hemorrhaging shots. But let's enjoy it while it lasts.
this is how I feel, if they make the playoffs that's a good thing -- if they miss that's alright too because another lottery pick added to a group of good young players. so I'm pretty content
although their shots against might go down with both Zajac and Johansson in the lineup

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Devils can't sustain this level of play with how much they're hemorrhaging shots. But let's enjoy it while it lasts.

I wonder how much of an impact the trickle-down effect of Zajac will have on that.

Henrique gets moved to wing. Hischier gets to play lesser competition in a 2C role. Coleman doesn't have to check top lines. All of those factors makes our forward group much deeper.

There was a lot of scraping by while Zajac was gone. Coleman was used as a "just don't let them score" checking line which forced us into the defensive almost every shift. At least now we should be able to roll four lines that should be just as good if not better than what they went up against.

Reactions: VaxjoDevil

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
This year, to me, is still a development season and realistically no matter how they finish the year it can be seen as a success. Nico has come in and shown he's the real deal with the potential to be our #1 center for a long long time. Bratt's emergence cannot be understated as he gives us more depth at wing already and can make certain players expendable for help on defense. Butcher has shown he has the potential to be our powerplay quarter-back moving forward, something we've lacked since Zidlicky, and he's not terrible defensively either. Coleman is another solid depth forward that's emerged and added a lot of value for us. Wood has looked like a new player this season and while he still makes some mental errors he's really cleaned up his game in the offensive zone and become much less of a one-trick pony only using his speed, he's an actual hockey player this year. The veterans looks rejuvenated with all of the youth and the success as well, which is definitely important.

I had hope and really thought we were on the right track before this season started but seeing the above come to fruition only solidifies that in my mind. This may not be a playoff year for us but we are much closer than some think. Very exciting times ahead my friends.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Yea I'm torn on whether I put Nico with Hall or Zajac with Hall.

On one hand, any center you put with Hall (outside Henrique) will probably have good possession numbers. There aren't many wingers in the league that can drive play like Hall. So do we split up Zajac/Hall to have two dependable lines possession wise? There's also the case that Nico/Bratt will be able to hold up possession wise too. I think Hynes will put Zajac with Hall and if that's the case I'll go with:

Hall-Zajac-Palms
MoJo-Nico-Bratt
Henrique-Zacha-Stafford
Wood-Boyle-Gibbons

Honestly Stafford isn't anything great. He's looked passable, but many RWs are going to look passable when Nico/Hall are on their line. If you want to scratch him for Coleman and bump up one of Gibbons/Wood or call up one of JQ/Blandisi later in the year, that's fine. Stafford isn't even as good as PAP IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad