Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
The Noesen hate is ridiculous. Hes a good 4th liner and has nothing to do with Zacha. I do not want PZ on the 4th line.

Since we have Zajac as 1C I really hope that helps our problem of hemorrhaging shots against.

It's more so that Boyle is much better suited to play 4th line not 3rd line. Gibbons and Coleman have been fantastic leaving Noesen as the worst member of the 4th line. Essentially
Play Zacha 3rd line and Boyle 4th line
Play Boyle 3rd line and Noesen 4th line

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's more so that Boyle is much better suited to play 4th line not 3rd line. Gibbons and Coleman have been fantastic leaving Noesen as the worst member of the 4th line. Essentially
Play Zacha 3rd line and Boyle 4th line
Play Boyle 3rd line and Noesen 4th line
I agree with shifting Boyle to 4C to open a place for PZ. I just don’t like the new narrative of Noesen being useless. He has been contributing since we picked him up on waivers. He is a good 4th liner to have.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
You really don't need EVERYone in the lineup to be a PK'er or play center, they already have a lot of other forwards that do both.
This is when Johansson comes back and I doubt that no on else gets injured but if no one does there isn't much harm in playing zacha over Stafford. Palmieri and Bratt are both capable top 6 right wings and both better than Stafford. Hall and Johansson will be the top 6 left wings. Wood can play RW on the third line. It makes sense to put Zacha in the 3rd line left wing role.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
This is nuts, before this year we just wanted a full swap of about half the players, like extra dice in Yahtzee. Now we can't agree on who goes, and Majo isn't even back yet..

Definition of a "good problem."

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This is nuts, before this year we just wanted a full swap of about half the players, like extra dice in Yahtzee. Now we can't agree on who goes, and Majo isn't even back yet..

Definition of a "good problem."

Seriously. You have Zacha on the bench who could easily be in and that forces Wood, Noesen, Coleman, and Gibbons to play their asses off to stay in the lineup.

That type of competition keeps everyone honest and allows the Devils to run four lines. Forwards can no longer take games off and expect to play.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

kiwidevil

With Zacha out and Mojo out our offensive depth still doesn't look amazing. Boyle is a 4C, but i understand not wanting to break up the current 4th line.

But if you had Henrique - Zacha - Mojo as a 3rd line. You are looking at top 5 NHL offensive depth.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I smell a trade in the near future. We have so many forwards and no D.

Unfortunately things happen and players tend to be out of the lineup for one thing or another. For now having too many forwards is just fine. It is still early in the season and there are several players that are riding on small sample sizes for their careers here. Things can change quickly as we see year in and year out with players.

Lots of hockey left to be played. Come the new year, then we'll have a better feel for things all around on this team.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I agree with shifting Boyle to 4C to open a place for PZ. I just don’t like the new narrative of Noesen being useless. He has been contributing since we picked him up on waivers. He is a good 4th liner to have.
I agree with you, my wording was definitely poor. Noesen has been a good 4th liner, he isn't useless but definitely doesn't bring to the table what others have. Boyle makes a better 4th liner which I'm sure most agree with.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Noesen is a fine 4th line but we have a lot of great 4th liners. Being the 4th best doesn't mean he sucks, we just have three better guys.

He's had two great games being physical alongside Coleman shutting down Barkov's line which has been dominant and setting up the third goal in the Chicago game.

I don't disagree with you, but you don't take guys out when they have performances like that. He's a nice compliment to Gibbons and Coleman on that fourth line.

kiwidevil

Zacha, should be in.
He creates a lot with his passing, but all coaches seem to always want to mess around with at least one young guy. I just hope he doesn't do the same with Nico and Bratt, if they go through a slump. Which is highly likely if Zajac get's all the prime minutes next to Hall now he's back.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Zacha, should be in.
He creates a lot with his passing, but all coaches seem to always want to mess around with at least one young guy. I just hope he doesn't do the same with Nico and Bratt, if they go through a slump. Which is highly likely if Zajac get's all the prime minutes next to Hall now he's back.
the larsson of this coaching staff lol but it's only a couple of games so far let's see if it actually lasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad