Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I've ragged on Henrique frequently the past few days -- it's warranted.

I really do hope by mid-season, he solidifies the 3LW slot, and that's me being gracious.

I wish Henrique plays well, but I don't need to see him with any top-6 forward on our team. He needs to play on an energy line, where his wingers do the majority of the work. I could see him with Blandisi + Noesen.

Hall+Henrique = no thanks
Johansson+Henrique = no thanks
Henrique+Hischier = no thanks
(Bratt)+Henrique = no thanks

Henrique needs to be on the wing

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Boyle doesn't make Opening Night Coleman will likely be the #4C with Zacha/Henrique/Nico as the top three.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I've ragged on Henrique frequently the past few days -- it's warranted.

I really do hope by mid-season, he solidifies the 3LW slot, and that's me being gracious.

I wish Henrique plays well, but I don't need to see him with any top-6 forward on our team. He needs to play on an energy line, where his wingers do the majority of the work. I could see him with Blandisi + Noesen.

Hall+Henrique = no thanks
Johansson+Henrique = no thanks
Henrique+Hischier = no thanks
(Bratt)+Henrique = no thanks

Henrique + Blandisi has always looked very strong. Henrique + Hischier could probably work well on the third line.

Been a bit out of the loop.

Is McLeod still in the running for a spot?

He's looked like he's capable of playing at the NHL level in a limited role, but hasn't blown the doors off by any means. Barring a disastrous game, he likely gets through the next round of cuts, but I think he's going to end up off the team.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think with so many young guys, you need to be real impressive to make the club. McLeod has not been that. He still has the righty factor that most of the impressive youngs do not, but I expect a full does of Vets down the right wing. And I'm sure we will see a lefty on their off wing from time to time as well.

So at this point, I'm thinking McLeod goes back.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think with so many young guys, you need to be real impressive to make the club. McLeod has not been that. He still has the righty factor that most of the impressive youngs do not, but I expect a full does of Vets down the right wing. And I'm sure we will see a lefty on their off wing from time to time as well.

So at this point, I'm thinking McLeod goes back.

Devils are still carrying a lot of players because of the split-squad games Monday, but we will probably see a 20-25 player cut the following day. I'd imagine McLeod survives that cut, gets another game on Wednesday with better competition and linemates, and then they make the judgement call.

Just for some fun, I'd imagine the cuts will be:

Definites:

G: Ken Appleby, MacKenzie Blackwood, Scott Wedgewood
D: Tim Erixon, Josh Jacobs, Viktor Loov, Jacob MacDonald, Brian Strait, Colton White
F: Brandon Baddock, Nathan Bastian, Austin Cangelosi, Brian Gibbons, Brandon Gignac, Bracken Kearns, Ryan Kujawinski, Jan Mandat, Kevin Rooney, Ben Thomson

Debatable, but likely cut (keep one forward if Boyle isn't back yet to run 5 lines):

D: Michael Kapla, Yaroslav Dyblenko
F: Blake Pietila, Nick Lappin, Blake Speers, John Quenneville

That would leave the Devils with the following group and needing to cut two players.

Hall - Johansson - Palmieri
Bratt - Zacha - Stafford
Henrique - Hischier - Noesen
Blandisi - Boyle - Hayes
Wood - Coleman - McLeod

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Mueller - Santini
Butcher - Prout

Schneider
Kinkaid

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
On the RW spot.

I didn't see the first game where people were hating on Hayes, but I've been cool with him thus far. I liked that he was throwing fists yesterday. I like the idea that he got himself in great shape, certainly he has size, and is vet presence.

Stafford, I was not much on the signing, but he's going to play, and if he scores some goals, I can't argue.

Noesen, I haven't seen him, but I figure he's playing.

Palm's is the the obvious.

I figure that's our 4. McLeod has not (yet) busted the door in, I've been on the fence, but as noted with so many young players, I'm cool with letting him get another year of juniors. Speers and Lappin go down to Bingo and are the call ups when ready, and it is nice knowing we have those options.

While those 4 righties are pretty unimpressive, we can always throw a lefty at RW, maybe it's Q, maybe it's Mojo, to add some spice over there, and having guys like Hayes and Noesen make it easy to bench a guy if we feel like going that route.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u4.png

Oh man those forwards going to PEI, that's the game to watch.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Finally Zacha and Hischier in the same game too, so excited for tomorrow now! I guess something like this

Hall-Nico-Palmieri
Bratt-Zacha-Stafford
JQ-MoJo-Coleman
Mandat-Bastian-Kuja

Gignac is also there, so maybe he slides into the lineup. I don't want MoJo at center but for some reason the coaching staff seems dead-set on it, I don't think he's played on the wing yet.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Devils playing two televised preseason games at the same time, how inconsiderate! The organization stacking the one team just so people won't watch Hischier! Idiots!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Oh god, the lineup facing the Islanders A team will be:

F: Baddock, Blandisi, Boyle (?), Cangelosi, Gibbons, Hayes, Henrique, Kearns, Lappin, McLeod, Noesen, Pietila, Rooney, Speers, Thomson, Wood
D: Dyblenko, Jacobs, Kapla, Lovejoy, Moore, Mueller, Severson, Strait, White
G: Kinkaid, Wedgewood

Wood - Henrique - Hayes
Gibbons - Blandisi - Noesen
Pietila - McLeod - Speers
Kearns - Rooney - Lappin
Baddock - Cangelosi - Thomson

Mueller - Lovejoy
Moore - Severson
Dyblenko - Kapla
Strait - Jacobs
White

Kinkaid
Wedgewood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Oh god, the lineup facing the Islanders A team will be:

F: Baddock, Blandisi, Boyle (?), Cangelosi, Gibbons, Hayes, Henrique, Kearns, Lappin, McLeod, Noesen, Pietila, Rooney, Speers, Thomson, Wood
D: Dyblenko, Jacobs, Kapla, Lovejoy, Moore, Mueller, Severson, Strait, White
G: Kinkaid, Wedgewood

Wood - Henrique - Hayes
Gibbons - Blandisi - Noesen
Pietila - McLeod - Speers
Kearns - Rooney - Lappin
Baddock - Cangelosi - Thomson

Mueller - Lovejoy
Moore - Severson
Dyblenko - Kapla
Strait - Jacobs
White