Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I wish they could find a way to get something for Greene instead of keeping him. I also find it kind of funny people keep penciling him in as a number one pairing dman when he looked absolutely horrible the majority of last season and is aging.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I wish they could find a way to get something for Greene instead of keeping him. I also find it kind of funny people keep penciling him in as a number one pairing dman when he looked absolutely horrible the majority of last season and is aging.

So you would rather see Merrill or Moore as our #1 option on the left side?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

As opposed to who else on the left side currently?

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario

He's there because calling the other 8-10 guys they used last year defenceman is an insult to defenceman and none of them are supplanting him at this point.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

He regressed a bit but I don't know if I'd call his play horrible. And have you seen our left side on defense? I don't care how **** you think he was he's still our best left handed dman.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

And who else should we play over him, exactly?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
As opposed to who else on the left side currently?

So an undersized slowing / aging player is the best option to anchor the d why?

Did you watch him last season? he struggled to clear the puck out of the zone even when no one was near him.

Trade a forward and a pick, get a LD and try for a free agent signing if possible.

Plus, Merrill took his minutes for the time Greene was out, and he actually started to look solid. This team can not rely on Greene to anchor this d, hes too old, too slow and his size is starting to be a problem since he is slowing down.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
He regressed a bit but I don't know if I'd call his play horrible. And have you seen our left side on defense? I don't care how **** you think he was he's still our best left handed dman.

His play was horrible. He screened Schneider as much as Lovejoy did, he has no clue how to clear the puck, I'm pretty sure the corpse of Doug Harvey could shoot harder than Greene. He also made as many boneheaded pinches as his offensive dynamo d partner Ben Lovejoy, and since he is slowing down, him pinching the way he did was a big reason the team saw so many breakaways and 2 on 1's going against them.

And I'd say he is not our best LD anymore. Not much separating him from the others on that side.

Regardless, the LD situation is horrible. They need to try and trade for someone and sign someone. And speaking of that, have no clue why people are so dead set on fixing the right side while ignoring how the left side is just as bad. Vatanen and Shattenkirk are constantly being thrown around while completely ignoring that the left side will have to lean on 5'10/5'11 180lb 35 year old andy greene to anchor it.

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
His play was horrible. He screened Schneider as much as Lovejoy did, he has no clue how to clear the puck, I'm pretty sure the corpse of Doug Harvey could shoot harder than Greene. He also made as many boneheaded pinches as his offensive dynamo d partner Ben Lovejoy, and since he is slowing down, he was a big reason the team saw so many breakaways and 2 on 1's.

And I'd say he is not our best LD anymore. Not much separating him from the others on that side.

Regardless, the LD situation is horrible. They need to try and trade for someone and sign someone. And speaking of that, have no clue why people are so dead set on fixing the right side while ignoring how the left side is just as bad. Vatanen and Shattenkirk are constantly being thrown around while completely ignoring that the left side will have to lean on 5'10/5'11 180lb 35 year old andy greene to anchor it.

So you're saying he's horrible and you want to move him. If he's so horrible, what are getting in return... another horrible player or a horrible pick?

I'll stick with our "horrible" asset.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
His play was horrible. He screened Schneider as much as Lovejoy did, he has no clue how to clear the puck, I'm pretty sure the corpse of Doug Harvey could shoot harder than Greene. He also made as many boneheaded pinches as his offensive dynamo d partner Ben Lovejoy, and since he is slowing down, him pinching the way he did was a big reason the team saw so many breakaways and 2 on 1's going against them.

Because you go out and get the best players you can and play them, if you improve by one player it helps the pairing, I agree getting an equivalent of Vatanen or Shatty would be better but if we cant, you take the best player regardless of side.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I guess it is just a trade freeze, but unless the Devils make a signing in the next 2 hours, Mike Cammalleri will be exposed in the expansion draft.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Ray isn't stupid, he knows 34 year olds with extensive injury history don't eally bounce back. Smart to expose him. If they take him, great for us, and if they don't that's fine too.

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008
#NJDevils acquire D @muellermirco and pick No. 143 (5th Rd) from SJS for 2nd and 4th Rd picks in the 2017 #NHLDraft. atnhl.com/2rHJJl2

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Could just protect Zajac, Hall, Palmieri, Henrique, Greene, Severson, Merrill, Mueller?

That'd be my ideal protection scenario at this point.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Okay we're out of the Brodin running with Mueller, I'm okay with that. But still would like some Dumba/Shattenkirk though

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Can't wait to see our list tomorrow. I assume it's all but assured we're exposing Camm and Lovejoy. I think Camm will get picked because he can actually slot into Vegas' top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad