Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If we don't and if Kovy decides to stay in Russia another season, those are two huge missed opportunities to improve the team.

Neither of which are controllable by the Devils but I'm sure Shero will get a ton of crap because of people like you who always think the sky is falling.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It's too bad we can't trade away protection slots for draft picks. We could easily give up 1 D slot and 2-3 forward slots and make a haul.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Someone made a good point on the mainboard, if we don't sign a guy like Bennett or Noesen by this afternoon (or make some other last-minute trade for that matter) we're definitely doing the eight skater protection since we still don't have enough signed forwards to do the 7-3.

devilos

Jun 18, 2012
Arlington, VA
remember when this week was gonna be super exciting

yeah

Yep. All this hype all season for nothing (unless the next 3 hours really heat up). Especially considering how much we had been told that we would take advantage of this situation. I keep staying glued to the laptop like it's a trade deadline, but I'm not expecting anything shocking.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
8 Skaters: Hall, Zajac, Henrique, Palmieri, Greene, Severson, Moore, Merrill.

That'd be fine with me. I'm gonna be mad if we protect Lovejoy which I think we might.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
remember when this week was gonna be super exciting

yeah

We definitely underestimated the impact of Vegas being able to make secret deals to head off a lot of the situations we thought we'd be able to pounce on. All expansion teams do but it seems like there are more now in the first expansion post-cap world.

This is just so annoying...all our cap space/protection space seems like it's going for naught with little to choose from in trades here and little to choose from in FA. The best hope if we don't do anything today is to parlay draft choices for other teams' cap issues.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
We definitely underestimated the impact of Vegas being able to make secret deals to head off a lot of the situations we thought we'd be able to pounce on. All expansion teams do but it seems like there are more now in the first expansion post-cap world.

To add to this we could have already made a move that is yet to be released for legal reasons or what not.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To add to this we could have already made a move that is yet to be released for legal reasons or what not.

Well only with Vegas (if we had dealt with anyone else already it'd probably have come out by now), though I can't imagine why we would have to deal with them unless it's some bizarro three-team trade where Vegas is the middle man to our getting a player from someone else.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
They've made a ton of deals too that the NHL told them not to release. I'm sure there's 10-15 done they don't want announced yet so I think it's deceptive how "little" is going on.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The cap issues were rarely going to be a part of the deals made before expansion. Only in the case of NJ taking a Stoner-Vatanen type of deal was that going to work out. After expansion there's still plenty of room for salary cap deals.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

There shouldn't be much suspense with our list at this point, just which two of Moore, Merrill, Lovejoy are we gonna protect although I can't make any reasonable argument to protect Lovejoy over the other two even if you're not a believer in either.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
This is exactly our type of deal. I would do something like this, for picks (not touching our top prospects) and then we would have to try to find a spot for one of our bottom D to be off the roster.

Step 1 of D rebuild happens in 2017

Greene - Severson
Merrill -Vatanen
Moore - Santini
Lovejoy

Man that's a Charmin soft D

I doubt these owners will take on 3.5 million in salary if they don't need to. We will see though.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Someone made a good point on the mainboard, if we don't sign a guy like Bennett or Noesen by this afternoon (or make some other last-minute trade for that matter) we're definitely doing the eight skater protection since we still don't have enough signed forwards to do the 7-3.
Umm... not sure where the got that. We have Camm and DSP that are signed and meed the 40/70 requirement.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Idk why but I feel like LGK will use all their picks and possible expansion players to make a move for #1

This is not happening. The first round picks they are getting are in the 20s. And the more draft picks picks they stockpile, the less desirable the players they will be getting in the expansion draft. That's the only reason they can get those picks.

The pick is not being traded, except maybe, maybe to the Flyers.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
This is not happening. The first round picks they are getting are in the 20s. And the more draft picks picks they stockpile, the less desirable the players they will be getting in the expansion draft. That's the only reason they can get those picks.

The pick is not being traded, except maybe, maybe to the Flyers.

Still sounds like they will get a Vatanen.

#6 + #20 + Vatanen + something else is a pretty damn good package if Shero / Company arent in love with either Hischier or Patrick.

I dont want to move the pick, I want Patrick. But I could see them wanting to make a splash

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Apparently Marchessault is available from Florida. Scored 30 goals last season as a right wing. Think this might be a guy hat we could go after

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Umm... not sure where the got that. We have Camm and DSP that are signed and meed the 40/70 requirement.

It's because we only have eight draft-eligible forwards signed for next year. You NEED to expose two signed forwards under either system, ergo you need to have a ninth signed forward if you're going 7-3.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It's because we only have eight draft-eligible forwards signed for next year. You NEED to expose two signed forwards under either system, ergo you need to have a ninth signed forward if you're going 7-3.
The player doesn't need to be signed to be protected. As far as I know, you can protect an RFA like Josefson or Bennett that's not signed. You just need to expose 2 forwards signed for next year that meet the 40/70 rule, which like I said, Camm and DSP are.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We don't even have enough decent forwards to go 7-3-1 realistically even if you protect Camm

It makes sense to expose him if they want to protect 4 DMen. I just hope they don't protect Lovejoy but I wouldnt be surprised if they do.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The only non-obvious player I want to protect is Bennett. I don't really care if we lose a Moore/Merrill/Lovejoy/any other forward. It's the only reason I would want to go 7/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad