Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Doesn't seem to be a ton of guys really available.

Brodin seems the biggest name, some smaller guys like Kirk Cousins who just got shipped to Arizona for peanuts.

That said those trades aren't done yet apparently.

Vegas side deals are playing a part it seems. Might of taken the Ducks out of needing to make any larger move.

Didn't Nashville need to make a move or lose someone good for free? Same with Tampa?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It doesn't make sense. It isn't even a suggestion of trading for a potential young equivalent D. It isn't swapping Zacha for Ivan, Hanafin, or some other equivalent.

Trading for a winger that is older? And what happens to the people calling for this when the guy we trade for downfrades on our team while Zacha flourishes into a 60 point player for years elsewhere?

Shipping your 19 year olds out like that makes no sense.

It's baffling that fans are in the mindset of unloading PZ.

He should be a cornerstone.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Brodin seems the biggest name, some smaller guys like Kirk Cousins who just got shipped to Arizona for peanuts.

Vegas side deals are playing a part it seems. Might of taken the Ducks out of needing to make any larger move.

Didn't Nashville need to make a move or lose someone good for free? Same with Tampa?

Nick Cousins.

His cousin Kirk plays QB for Wash.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's baffling that fans are in the mindset of unloading PZ.

He should be a cornerstone.

It just isn't a move a rebuilding team makes. We aren't so loaded at forward where really aby of our forward prospects are suddenly expendable.

It also falls under the same argument on why you don't trade a top 10 pick right now. We need to be gambling on the potential high upside with really young prospects and picks.

Zacha's upside is higher than Nino's, and we need to stick with that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I think Nashville would need to work a backdoor deal to keep one of Jarnkrok or Neal. Or they could just expose Neal, who is more expensive and only signed through 2017-18.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Nashville would need to work a backdoor deal to keep one of Jarnkrok or Neal. Or they could just expose Neal, who is more expensive and only signed through 2017-18.

Losing the Ducks as a potential trade partner really makes Shero's job harder.

The Brodin or Dumba ask is most likely very high.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm not sure we had the guns to make a deal with the Ducks anyway. Maybe we could have taken on some salary, I guess, but Vatanen wasn't going to be cheap.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I'm expecting Shero to do at least something before the freeze, unless he has something planned with Vegas. He talked way to much about using the expansion draft for leverage along with all of our picks. Would be a slight fail in my eyes if he doesn't do anything, but my expectations are lower now that we've seen no teams do what was expected. Who knows, maybe tomorrow will be wild.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
It doesn't make sense. It isn't even a suggestion of trading for a potential young equivalent D. It isn't swapping Zacha for Ivan, Hanafin, or some other equivalent.

Trading for a winger that is older? And what happens to the people calling for this when the guy we trade for downfrades on our team while Zacha flourishes into a 60 point player for years elsewhere?

Shipping your 19 year olds out like that makes no sense.

Yeah I really don't see how going from the best Offensive team to the worst, and vice versa for Zacha would not backfire :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm expecting Shero to do at least something before the freeze, unless he has something planned with Vegas. He talked way to much about using the expansion draft for leverage along with all of our picks. Would be a slight fail in my eyes if he doesn't do anything, but my expectations are lower now that we've seen no teams do what was expected. Who knows, maybe tomorrow will be wild.

Literally as the Wild might end up getting a haul for Brodin

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I'm not sure we had the guns to make a deal with the Ducks anyway. Maybe we could have taken on some salary, I guess, but Vatanen wasn't going to be cheap.

There have been some speculations that Anaheim tries to combine Stoner (or other player) and Vatanen to the same trade package.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Taking on a contract to lower the asset cost going the other way would be something to look out

Also I hate the Toronto media. Leafs are in on everything. Lou must be losing his mind that he can't just hang up on those guys or let the ravens get lost with his press releases.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Taking on a contract to lower the asset cost going the other way would be something to look out

Also I hate the Toronto media. Leafs are in on everything. Lou must be losing his mind that he can't just hang up on those guys or let the ravens get lost with his press releases.

Is Stoner serviceable? I would gladly take him if it ment getting Vatananen for less.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

Heh. Lou parachuted into Toronto just as things were getting good. He isn't the top boss like he was here with, he doesn't have that kind of control. Stuff like this drives him radek bonkers I'm sure. But he does get to attach his name to what will likely be an impressive rejuvenation of a high profile franchise.

I'm not convinced he'll stick around Toronto to see the whole thing through though. Too big a microscope there and he'll grow tired of it in his old age

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
There have been some speculations that Anaheim tries to combine Stoner (or other player) and Vatanen to the same trade package.

This is exactly our type of deal. I would do something like this, for picks (not touching our top prospects) and then we would have to try to find a spot for one of our bottom D to be off the roster.

Step 1 of D rebuild happens in 2017

Greene - Severson
Merrill -Vatanen
Moore - Santini
Lovejoy

Man that's a Charmin soft D

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
At this point, I'm getting the feeling that the Devils aren't going to be able to capitalize on the ED.

Vegas seems to be undercutting the ED with all these little side deals (as they should) and are likely going to accumulate a lot of prospects/picks because of it.

Devils best bet was being able to get to these teams like CBJ and ANA first or offering up picks/prospects to Vegas for someone the picked. With deals like (supposedly) #24 + prospect + Clarkson going down between CBJ/VEG, it seems like Vegas is going to get better pieces than we can even give up.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
T-7 hours till the roster freeze. Glad it'll at least be over before 5 PM since I'll be out for the night :P

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
At this point, I'm getting the feeling that the Devils aren't going to be able to capitalize on the ED.

Vegas seems to be undercutting the ED with all these little side deals (as they should) and are likely going to accumulate a lot of prospects/picks because of it.

Devils best bet was being able to get to these teams like CBJ and ANA first or offering up picks/prospects to Vegas for someone the picked. With deals like (supposedly) #24 + prospect + Clarkson going down between CBJ/VEG, it seems like Vegas is going to get better pieces than we can even give up.

If we don't and if Kovy decides to stay in Russia another season, those are two huge missed opportunities to improve the team.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think it's easier for teams, especially contending teams with more to protect, to trade away picks and futures so that Vegas doesn't take certain players than it is to actually trade those players for proper value. There's still time left but it looks like Vegas is holding all the cards

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think it's easier for teams, especially contending teams with more to protect, to trade away picks and futures so that Vegas doesn't take certain players than it is to actually trade those players for proper value. There's still time left but it looks like Vegas is holding all the cards

Yeah, definitely won't get proper value from another team as it bumps down the list of who they have to protect and exposes a better player. Vegas is also smart to cut as many deals as possible, but also hearing that teams like Minnesota and Nashville don't have a deal in place, so this likely goes down to the wire. They probably try to work something out with Vegas first, but have another deal with a different team on the backburner in case Vegas won't flinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad