Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) IV - March to the Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
DET doesn't have much to build around in regards to young talent, but they do have Mantha/Athanasiou/Larkin. I highly, highly doubt any of those guys get moved.
Oh I know I know. But let’s say contract negotiations aren’t going well and Holland panics/AA requests a trade, we absolutely have to capitalize on that opportunity

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If the organization truly sees Mueller as a ready to play now player coupled with the lack of extension for Moore I could see Moore moved as part of a package at the deadline for an upgrade elsewhere.

I understand that the D is nothing to brag about and that stylistically he fits what the team is looking for, but does the team need two second/third pair LD tweeners? Depth maybe but why have an extra guy sitting around if he can be moved (maybe with a JQ who has been criticized by the team recently) for someone that will actually play every game? Other than those two I don’t see any extra assets that have any actual NHL value (unless Chiarelli covets Hayes).

With Moore's expiring contract, he'd be a rental, not part of a package that brings back an upgrade. After the trade that just went down I think we could probably get a second round pick for him, maybe even a second and a third. Let him play somewhere else for a few months, take the pick, and offer him a deal in July.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Selling on Moore would be a smart move ImO because he would definitely bring a solid return, but getting rid of him wouldn’t really hurt the team on ice.

I don’t think they do it though because Hynes likes him unless we really get blown away, or he is a piece in a larger hockey trade.

Other thing is while Moore is a rental, he is still young enough that a building team might see him as a worth while investment to resign.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hynes and the staff may like Moore but Shero hasn't extended him yet, he might not see him as part of the future. And Hynes himself admitted Mueller was only sitting cause of a numbers game, so clearly they see him as part of the future.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I do worry that it may hurt the locker room to move Moore. The team culture seems pretty great right now, it might be wise to not disturb it too much. Speaking of the locker room, listen to what Amanda Stein thinks of the cancer:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do worry that it may hurt the locker room to move Moore. The team culture seems pretty great right now, it might be wise to not disturb it too much. Speaking of the locker room, listen to what Amanda Stein thinks of the cancer:

That was the same argument people gave for not trading Henrique and it didn't really matter then either. Henrique was probably even more of a leader or at least a public face than Moore, who's more of a role player.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
That was the same argument people gave for not trading Henrique and it didn't really matter then either. Henrique was probably even more of a leader or at least a public face than Moore, who's more of a role player.
Meh, I never made that argument then and it's a completely different situation. A team in a playoff hunt can easily understand trading a good forward for a good defenseman. But selling a guy who has contributed for a draft pick when you're fighting for a playoff spot? Idk. To be clear, I'm not a big Moore fan and on paper would be okay moving him.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Meh, I never made that argument then and it's a completely different situation. A team in a playoff hunt can easily understand trading a good forward for a good defenseman. But selling a guy who has contributed for a draft pick when you're fighting for a playoff spot? Idk. To be clear, I'm not a big Moore fan and on paper would be okay moving him.

I think one difference between Moore and Henrique is that Moore has almost a Miles Wood intensity about him. He really does seem like he's totally dedicated to the team.

I like Moore, I think his assist on Zacha's goal was a real good example of his upside. Great skating ability, good offensive instincts. No question that there are some major holes in his game, but I could see him as a 15-20 minute guy on a Stanley Cup tier roster.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Was anything said about Boyle? When he steps out into the ice after the OT goal he looked like he was being very careful with his one foot.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ

Potentially. They could sell it as not having enough spots for all the defensmen. Trading a winger and replacing them with Hayes would send the wrong message. Replacing Moore with Mueller doesn't really say we are giving up on anything.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don’t see Moore going anywhere. As much as some on here hate him for not being a complete defender, he fits our playing style.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don’t see Moore going anywhere. As much as some on here hate him for not being a complete defender, he fits our playing style.
The only problem is we have too many lefties. Greene will be back. If we keep Moore then either Butcher or Mueller get's the squeeze.
Even if you move Butcher to RD then that squeezes Santini.

Which is not to say I think Moore is a goner, but there is def a #'s crunch.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We do not need to keep Moore, we need to get away from these Dman who can only dump the puck in and can't move the puck efficiently. Keeping Moore eliminates an opportunity to get the type of Dman who can make a positive impact in terms of moving the puck.

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
Keep an eye on NJ Devils. Ray Shero wants to win the Metro.

Kane finished game with 9 SOG on 12 SA, 4 hits, 1G, 2 blocked shots, 450 chirps, in 22:31 TOI. The kind of power performance teams like Devils and Canucks are looking to add to their respective lineups at trade deadline

@SabresBuzz they have 14.9K followers whether anything becomes of this we will see. I doubt it does but just wanted to share.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The only problem is we have too many lefties. Greene will be back. If we keep Moore then either Butcher or Mueller get's the squeeze.
Even if you move Butcher to RD then that squeezes Santini.

Which is not to say I think Moore is a goner, but there is def a #'s crunch.

This is all true for this offseason but I’d be more worried about this current season then getting a pick for Moore. If another playoff team can help upgrade another area for us with using Moore as a trading chip, then yea maybe I could see a move.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I am starting to get annoyed by Greene's contract for the first time, I want Moore re-signed but then the left side is status quo and hasn't improved.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I did some research on the teams from Devilswede's post, and here's what I gathered:

Buffalo -- Other than Sam Reinhart (C/RW) and Nic Baptiste (RW), there isn't much here. From Shero's perspective and applying his "model," Reinhart wears the "former high pick" hat and Baptiste is the "under-utilized project with scoring touch." Personally, I have a hard time seeing Buffalo selling Reinhart at the price Shero wants to pay.

Minnesota -- Zucker and Dumba are the big expiring RFA's for them, but both players seem to be in their long-term plans. It's interesting to note that the Wild will have to give raises to the aforementioned players, along with re-signing/replacing their entire fourth line (Winnik/Cullen/Stewart), with only about $10M. Perhaps Brodin's $4.167M AAV gets a bit too pricey to hang onto?

Los Angeles -- Shero has to be looking at their D situation here, specifically their left side. Even moving Martinez to the right side (he plays both), they have a logjam with Phaneuf/Muzzin/LaDue/Forbort/Gravel, with top prospect Kale Clague jockeying for a spot as soon as next year. Pulling back the curtain a bit, LA extended Forbort at the beginning of this season, and have escalated his minutes from ~18:00 ATOI last year to ~21:30 ATOI this year. He has logged 24+ minutes in two of their last five games, being paired with Doughty. The Kings love LaDue and Clague (and their ELCs), and Phaneuf automatically gets a spot, so perhaps Muzzin is the odd man out? It certainly looks like Forbort is being groomed to take over his role.

Arizona -- I don't buy the smoke around Max Domi. The only other guy is Tobias Rieder, who has surfaced quite a bit recently in trade rumors. He just turned 25, can play all three forward positions, and has stats/usage that are extremely similar to what Palmieri had when Shero acquired him. He's also remarkably durable, having missed only three games over the past three seasons.

Vancouver -- The Canucks have a glut of pending RFA defensemen, but I don't see Hutton/Stetcher/Gudbranson being better than what we currently have by way of young defensemen. An obligatory plug here for Derrick Pouliot, given the Pittsburgh/Shero connection, but, again, I don't think he's an upgrade on what we already have.

Detroit -- Their cap situation is a god damn mess, jesus. Devilswede name dropped Gustav Nyquist, so that's self-explanatory. I think he's the cheaper option between him and Tatar. Other than that, it has been reported that D Xavier Ouellet may be given a fresh start elsewhere. He hasn't shown much at the NHL level, so unless Shero loves him for some reason, I don't think that'll happen.

Edmonton -- It's almost awkward to list them as a candidate for a "buy low" trade, given the context of the Hall acquisition. Like LA, they have a logjam of LD, with Sekera/Klefbom/Russell/Davidson/Nurse. In this case, though, I think they'd prefer to bury/buy out Russell instead of moving Davidson/Nurse. At forward, Slepyshev has been under-utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad