Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) IV - March to the Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Trading Santini? We are already below average defensively.

We all saw how Severson played when he faced the top opposition. His corsi was like at 33% until Hynes decided he couldn't hack it.

LJ is playing over Santini because we are trying to get LJ traded, not because LJ is better than Santini.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
And if lovejoy and one of Sami or Devers on goes down? With Santini gone we would be f***ed. Sure butcher can play RD.. But we don't have a player from the ahl that could step on and take the other spot.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t think we are playing Lovejoy to showcase him.

It is just a dumb Hynes lineup decision. He seems to always have to make one at any given moment. Santini will get back in but he will just bench someone else he shouldn’t.

Though to be fair it seems like every coach in the league does things like this they annoy fans.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If Tavares could be signed, I play him away from Hall unless it’s late in a game and we need to tie it. Tavares and Hall are both gamebreakers so let them create their own dominant lines. 2 top lines that strong will only make the rest of the roster fill out even better.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It is just a dumb Hynes lineup decision. He seems to always have to make one at any given moment. Santini will get back in but he will just bench someone else he shouldn’t.

Though to be fair it seems like every coach in the league does things like this they annoy fans.

I think it' more like the mood all changed after we held onto the hot start longer than anyone expected. It went from a 100% development season to make the playoffs. I do think LJ in his current role probably gives us a slightly better chance of winning than Santini does in that role, though that is certainly debatable.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It's not even so much a dumb lineup decision as it is sketchy player management. When Zacha and Santini get scratched for two-three weeks in a row and seemingly have no path back into the lineup then you start to wonder what the point of not sending them down is. At least with Zacha they didn't have a roster crunch but in Santini's case they have 8D on the roster.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think it' more like the mood all changed after we held onto the hot start longer than anyone expected. It went from a 100% development season to make the playoffs. I do think LJ in his current role probably gives us a slightly better chance of winning than Santini does in that role, though that is certainly debatable.

I don’t got a second believe Lovejoy in for Santini gives us a better chance to win games.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I would absolutely, just like everyone else, love to get Tavares here.

I’m excited to see what we do this year at the draft as well.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Trading Santini? We are already below average defensively.

We all saw how Severson played when he faced the top opposition. His corsi was like at 33% until Hynes decided he couldn't hack it.

LJ is playing over Santini because we are trying to get LJ traded, not because LJ is better than Santini.

Santini has the worst Corsi in the NHL among DMen, or at least did for awhile when he was being force fed top line minutes

You do know that, right?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm so sick and tired of posters claiming this player is untouchable and that player shouldn't be traded.

There's not one single untouchable on our team cause it all depends on the return. The majority were dead set on keeping Larsson for life but as soon as Hall come our side, that wish just evaporated like a fart in the wind.

If Santini can get us a legit top 6 forward like Hoffman, I'd pull the trigger ASAP. We're talking about someone who can put 30-30 with regularity and some wouldn't want to give up Santini for that? Zach Parise put up similar stats and we thought he was the face of our franchise for a while.

I never, or should I say rarely, agree with him but Steve Cangelosi is spot on in his assessment of the Santini for Hoffman proposal. We have a surplus of blueliners and we have two players who play either side if need be, so why not move Santini who's not going to leepfrog Vatanen or Severson.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I have to think Lovejoy will be traded or bought out by this summer. I think Moore will be traded at the deadline but I could see him coming back.

Trading Santini would kind of suck but you assume that Vatanen and Severson are top four guys. So Santini is a bottom pair guy. That’s good depth but if we could parlay him into a bigger piece that improves our roster somewhere else, I’d do that. If we could trade him in a package for a top four dman on the left side that might be ideal. I guess it depends on where the organization sees him fitting long term. I really like him and I think that he’s a high-character guy but RD is a position of relative strength and if there’s something that makes us better overall, pull the trigger.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
bored this morning and went through this exercise for next season (I know I know)

Hall ($6)-Hischier ($0.925)-Bratt ($0.750)
Johansson ($4.583)-Zacha ($0.895)-Palmieri ($4.65)
Zajac ($5.75)-Boyle ($2.75)

Greene ($5)-Vatanen ($4.875)
Butcher ($0.925)-Severson ($4.167)
Mueller ($0.850)-Lovejoy ($2.667)

Schneider ($6)
Kinkaid ($1.25)

BUYOUTS- Cammalleri ($1.67), DSP ($0.225)

I know our rookies probably have bonuses that they could hit or whatever, but thats what it looks like for next year with the current roster. So thats 8 forwards, 6 DMen, and 2 goalies (16 slots total). Thats ~$54 million when taking into account the buyouts. Cap this year is $75 million, projections are $78-82 next year Leaves $24-$28 million in space.

RFA estimates:
Wood- ($2)
Noesen ($0.800)
Coleman ($0.800)
Santini ($1.5)

an extra $5.1 million for 3 forwards and 1 DMan, bringing us to 11 forwards, 7 DMen, and 2 goalies for ~$59 million.

Leaves us ~$19-23 million in space.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Santini has the worst Corsi in the NHL among DMen, or at least did for awhile when he was being force fed top line minutes

You do know that, right?

I can't tell if you're trying to say Severson handles top pairing responsibilities better. Or that Lovejoy is better than Santini. Either way, you'd be wrong.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Couple things.

1)I could see it possible that Lovejoy is being showcased. I think he would have some value.

2)I really don't see Santini having much value right now. Wouldn't be opposed to trading him in the right deal.

3)Tavares just seems so unlikely. And I'm not sure I'd want to give the type of contract it would take for him to jump to a rival team. I mean, Hall is going to get a big contract. Nico is going to get a big contract. Bratt is going to get a pretty good contract eventually. I know we have a ton of cap space now, but if you go and give $10 mil to Tavares for 7 years, our cap space becomes much less.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I can't tell if you're trying to say Severson handles top pairing responsibilities better. Or that Lovejoy is better than Santini. Either way, you'd be wrong.
I'm not sure what Lovejoy has to do with anything? I didn't bring him up at all.

Severson is a positive possession player, again, this year. So I don't know what you're trying to say? The post I was responding to seemed to imply that Santini has good possession numbers which could not be more wrong.

Reactions: Bleedred

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Since Lovejoy has been playing consistently starting at the begining of January, we have gone 3-8. Not at all solely because of him, but an interesting little tidbit.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Since Lovejoy has been playing consistently starting at the begining of January, we have gone 3-8. Not at all solely because of him, but an interesting little tidbit.
I don't think he plays into that record all that much.

But it certainly goes against the idea that we should play him because we want to win games.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
wood is absolutely getting his contract bumped to prob like 4mil AAV. not that that 2mil figure really matters much down the line

i also don't think we're getting tavares. it's suchhhhhhhh a long shot. i do think he's leaving though

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if tavares really likes this area then i dont know why he wouldn't consider nj. i get its far away from long island but the weather the distances to nyc all similar.

i just want to know when will a player want to return to nj and play for us like parise or kovy or shatenkirk.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm so sick and tired of posters claiming this player is untouchable and that player shouldn't be traded.

There's not one single untouchable on our team cause it all depends on the return. The majority were dead set on keeping Larsson for life but as soon as Hall come our side, that wish just evaporated like a fart in the wind.

If Santini can get us a legit top 6 forward like Hoffman, I'd pull the trigger ASAP. We're talking about someone who can put 30-30 with regularity and some wouldn't want to give up Santini for that? Zach Parise put up similar stats and we thought he was the face of our franchise for a while.

I never, or should I say rarely, agree with him but Steve Cangelosi is spot on in his assessment of the Santini for Hoffman proposal. We have a surplus of blueliners and we have two players who play either side if need be, so why not move Santini who's not going to leepfrog Vatanen or Severson.

I don’t think anyone is declaring anyone untouchable. But realistically it’s hard to envision a return for a guy like Santini that works in the long term. If he could bring back a 2C with some term then great, but is it worth moving him for a depth forward rental? Have OTT fans suggested that Santini for Hoffman could work? I see that as the discussion, not that the team shouldn’t trade Santini or anyone else under any set of circumstances. If the cost is JQ and Santini for Hoffman sure but do you want to move Santini and Zacha for him? Probably a closer call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->